The Haunted Swing

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Re-Imagining:
https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music/ ... nted-swing

Based on...

Original field Recording b Gavin Prior:
https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music/ ... avin-prior

This was created by chopping up the original and processing the various fragments through granular sampler transformers in Reaktor 5. Only the original field recording was used; no other sounds were added…

• Travelizer was used to introduce elements of pitch to the piece
• Random Step Shifter was used to add extra rhythmic elements.
• Grainstates was the ensemble used to create the general background ebb and flow + the ‘new’ swing sound.

The final mix was processed through a chain of modules in Native Instrument’s Guitar Rig and then mastered with Izotope Ozone 4.

Very good work and an interesting sound world you made. I have reaktor too but I usually don't manage to get sounds I want. Also it is a bit hi-tech for me with all that synth creating stuff. Well done!

@Hezekiel:

Thanks for the feedback...

My only suggestion with Reaktor is to 'keep on going'...took me a few months to get my head around it all , but it's definitely worth it once it all clicks together!

Sorry for not being much help. I really am this terrible in giving feedback. But good work and Thanks for the tip too!

Isn´t it always rather difficult to give feedback on abstract soundscapes? It´s so much easier to write something like: "The distorted guitar is too prominent", or "The beat doesn´t kick hard enough"...

Anyway, where was I? 8)

Very well done, very otherworld-ly, could just as well be a field recording from another planet or a backdrop from an FSOL track ... it sounds crystal clear and I like the way it keeps moving and changing all the time. Thumbs up!

@hezekiel:

No need to apologize for your feedback...it said positive things about my music and that is often helpful in itself! :0)

@epiphaneia:

Cheers for the comments, ( and the visit on Sound cloud).

I see your point about more abstract pieces! Maybe that's good though...makes us think more deeply! :0)

"I like the way it keeps moving" - glad you focused on that aspect as it was central to my thinking with this one in terms of the original 'playground swing' field recording that it came from.

Repeated listening to the the swing sample reminded me of the roosters I had to contend with at 5AM in Northern Thailand.

With your last piece, I was pleased that you had given the original sample so much prominence. Here, I'm quite relieved that you took the time to process this one :wink:

The resulting sounds on here almost take on the characteristics of a guitar in places, and the Grainstates (I assume) processing is producing some exciting textures. I'm listening on monitors atm. I'll try to use the 'phones later.

Good work :)

Thanks Tim,
It was an interesting field recording, but quite harsh on the ear! Initially I intended to go for an 'in yer face', edgy, disturbing atmosphere, but i simply couldn't cope with listening to it all...too grating!

You're right it does sound quite guitar-like at times...Travelizer is doing that, but it wasn't intentional.

5 AM anywhere is generally too early for me...it would've been me versus those roosters after a couple of nights...no quarter! :0)

Reminds me of a surreal ghost story I read a couple of years ago.... "The Ghost of Thailand: A Girl's Tale". I just remember that there was some sort of scene in there that was coincidentally set at 5 AM in northern Thailand! :0)

Top track ChamMusic. You managed to take a jarring field recording and produce something beautiful that evolves in a very satisfying way! Well done! :)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

@Allomerus:
Much appreciated - thank you...and for the visit on SC as well.

I am quite sensitive to these kind of high frequencies so I can't listen to more than a few seconds of this. I am sure I am in the minority but if you were to do something like this for your soundtrack work, I would suggest rolling off the top end.

Hi Frantz,
I'm always keen to get feedback on my mixes...still quite a mysterious process at times for me - occasionally works wonderfully well and quite intuitively; other times it's a massive struggle to find the right blend and balance.

High frequencies are a potential issue for me these days - I'm 52 and I know my top end has slipped a little bit as I get my ears tested once a year. ( I cope by using benchmark reference pieces all the time).

I've had a number of 'new' listens on various systems + got others to test it as well and no-one has mentioned any high frequency issues...My youngest son, (he can hear bats at 200 metres or more and finds sonic cat deterrents seriously painful), found it absolutely fine! :0)

I've also had a 'look' via an audio spectrum analyser and that didn't show anything unexpected either.

This one may be down to your ears? But...please, ALWAYS, ALWAYS raise these sort of points...I'm still learning loads and regularly mess it up somewhere in the mix!

Yes, it could be down to my peculiar hearing.

This MP3 is an interesting low-budget hearing test:

teenbuzz.mp3

Teenagers are using this as a secret ringtone for text messages because most adult teachers can't hear it. (I hear it very clearly.)

ooops, I had to lower the treble a lot. Because I didn't want to
hurt my ears. But after I've done it I could enjoy your track:
Very organic developing sounds - like a strange winding
etherealness from a far away planet - yeah!

Thanks! :)
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Music Cafe”