Sorry for yet another Virus thread, but ...

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not sure about using your own motherboards USB ports, many users such as myself had to buy a separate USB pci-e card to run the Virus TI to prevent losing sync! Read all about the Virus TI and Sync issues. After upgrading to the USB pci-e card issues are alot less, this goes for both Mac and PC, I run both.

The TI while a great unit, does have issues, sync, latency is a factor if your using it via USB, it will add some latency period. Unless your the type of player who plays at around 512, and never notices it. If your used to 64 samples latency, you won't get that via USB, period. You'll have to use the Analog outs to play with non latency.

I own the TI and won't sugar coat shit for anyone! It's a nice unit, but it's dated, and Access seriously needs to come with a new more modern unit.. usb 3.0/low latency etc. Still though,there's nothing yet quite in the box, that does what it does,and sounds identical to it, PERSONALLY, I'd rather have an updated powercore like multi-timbral plugin, like they once sold, but with the TI features, hypersaw,unison etc..

enjoy!
Last edited by trusampler on Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

:party: :phones:
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote:Not sure about using your own motherboards USB ports, many users such as myself had to buy a separate USB pci-e card to run the Virus TI to prevent losing sync! Read all about the Virus TI and Sync issues. After upgrading to the USB pci-e card issues are alot less, this goes for both Mac and PC, I run both.

The TI while a great unit, does have issues, sync, latency is a factor if your using it via USB, it will add some latency period. Unless your the type of player who plays at around 512, and never notices it. If your used to 64 samples latency, you won't get that via USB, period. You'll have to use the Analog outs to play with non latency.

I own the TI and won't sugar coat shit for anyone! It's a nice unit, but it's dated, and Access seriously needs to come with a new more modern unit.. usb 3.0/low latency etc. Still though,there's nothing yet quite in the box, that does what it does,and sounds identical to it, PERSONALLY, I'd rather have an updated powercore like multi-timbral plugin, like they once sold, but with the TI features, hypersaw,unison etc..

enjoy!
Thanks, I've read about USB pci-e card as a kind of problem solver, if my Virus once starts behave badly I'll try this. I set latency to 512, indeed. I'm not a great keyboard player, frankly, I mostly program everything in a DAW and when I just want to play, 512 is fine. As for now I tried programming complex arpeggiated parts, used Virus' own arpeggiator, draw some automation - everything stays in sync, both at playback and bounce.

The only thing I had to do was to replace the USB cable. The seller told me that it was a cable from the factory package, but it was broken or something - the USB connection got lost each 5 minutes, with system deadlocks and even BSODs untill I replaced it with the cable from MIDI keyboard. Now it works (funny thing, this "broken" Virus cable works fine connecting my MIDI keys to PC)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:... I finally have money to buy a used Snow right now. I've dreamed of it so long that I'm afraid it can be a big dissapointment actually - I mean that I love its sound without a doubt (I listened to tons of various demo clips), but I've also read more that once how buggy, clumsy and unreliable is this TI thing - is it really the case? What to pay attention to when testing a used item?

It would be my first hardware synth, and actually I want my ITB workflow to change as less as possible, so the reliability of the Virus Control plugin is very improtant for me. However I understand that it still won't be completely the same thing as using a native plugin - at least I'll have to bounce everything to audio before exporting a song a stereofile, and of course I won't be able to load more than one instance of Virus control at the same time. Are there any further differences and limitations?

ZERO issues with a desktop ti2 (same software as snow just more voices and hands on control), and the latest beta software. Just do it.

I can only speak from mac experience though. Logic, Cubase, and through patchworx in pro tools, it works great like any regular virtual instrument. No crashes so far :)

Cubase is the easiest of the lot to use the multi timbral bit of it though (16 channels).

The snow has 4 multi timbral ( i used to own one), but if you are playing big pads with it sometimes you will only get use of one sound and max the voice count out (although unless you are *really* unlucky you should be able to get a second channel for a dry bass w/o effects on top of that).

The sound is still that famous virus sound and nothing can ever change that. if you love the sound then that's what you should get since you have waited so long.

I was told by access that multiple units are supported, so i am waiting to get a snow to add a second VI instance and polyphony. I predict I will be able to get it in June if i save $300 a month till then, and the aussie dollar doesn't drop further LOL. I so regret selling mine a few years back. Duh. Such is life.

Anyway can i ask your OS and computer specs - also, where exactly do you plan to plug it in usb port wise? all of this really matters especially on windows. Also which DAW will you use? it HAS to have perfect latency compensation to use the plugin and for it to play back recorded midi in time with the rest of your music.

I am presuming here that you are going to be using it via the usb as a totally integrated plugin.
I may be wrong, i didn't read all the topic, only your first post..

so yeah, just computer specs and DAW would be good. On mac with any daw i can tell you it won't be a problem it will just work (can't vouch for any OS higher than yosemite though), but on windows things are more finicky but that goes for ANY hardware usb driver.

TheoM wrote:ZERO issues with a desktop ti2 (same software as snow just more voices and hands on control), and the latest beta software. Just do it.
You are having better luck that I. I'm on a mac here and have had nothing but trouble w/ the TI plugin in Live & Logic. Same symptoms as many others have reported: dodgy, inconsistent latency, crashing, pops & clicks, loss of sync, sound goes distorted, Virus disappears... you name it.

I've tried with both Yosemite and El Capitan, and same thing. On Virus, I've used the 5.0.8 and the 5.1.3 beta (guessing on those numbers, away from Virus, but you know the versions I mean.)

I do love it though, running it via MIDI and Audio through an IO works great and is very solid. The USB thing I just ignore for now, though I know there are people out there from whom it just works w/out issue. I wish I knew the secret because while I'm satisfied w/ the setup it would be nice to have it solid both ways.

I've run my TI1 on several setups (Mac and pc) over the years with no real issues. Weird. Guess I'm just lucky.

Also, for decreasing latency while you're playing, don't forget to press the "live" mode button. Decreases voice count tho.

Theo, thanks for the input! I've actually already bought my Snow a week ago. I'm running Win7, Studio One 2.5 64 bit. So far the plugin is rock-solid, no sync or latency issues, no crashes (I've mentioned in this thread that it had bad USB cable which gave me troubles at the first instalaltion, but replacing the cable cured everything). When installing the TI software I've plugged the Virus into a rear USB 3.0 port, I read later that USB 3.0 is not optimal for Virus but since I don't have any problems I decided not to change the port.

Soundwise - yes, this is THE sound I've heard on many of my favourite records and always wanted to have in my rig. I agree that no sofware synth sounds like that, however Spire comes substantially close, almost indistinguishable at certain kinds of sounds. But for some reason even when using similar sounds from both the Virus is somehow easier to sit properly in a mix.

Phase47, did you try running Virus via a dedicated usb pci controller? I've read that it often solves the problems with TI sofware.

recursive one wrote:Phase47, did you try running Virus via a dedicated usb pci controller? I've read that it often solves the problems with TI sofware.
No I haven't yet. From what I've read, some people have success with a dedicated hub, and some don't. I'm giving some serious thought to grabbing an Elektron Overhub though, to see if that helps.

I don't want to give the wrong impression, I'm totally happy using the Virus through MIDI and audio IO, and I don't think I could live w/out this synth going forward, so I'm satisfied. It just would be nice to have solid USB / TI as advertised.

Phase47 wrote:
TheoM wrote:ZERO issues with a desktop ti2 (same software as snow just more voices and hands on control), and the latest beta software. Just do it.
You are having better luck that I. I'm on a mac here and have had nothing but trouble w/ the TI plugin in Live & Logic. Same symptoms as many others have reported: dodgy, inconsistent latency, crashing, pops & clicks, loss of sync, sound goes distorted, Virus disappears... you name it.

I've tried with both Yosemite and El Capitan, and same thing. On Virus, I've used the 5.0.8 and the 5.1.3 beta (guessing on those numbers, away from Virus, but you know the versions I mean.)

I do love it though, running it via MIDI and Audio through an IO works great and is very solid. The USB thing I just ignore for now, though I know there are people out there from whom it just works w/out issue. I wish I knew the secret because while I'm satisfied w/ the setup it would be nice to have it solid both ways.

i have to be completely forthcoming, i monitor it in realtime through the uad apollo console so use the plugin only as basically a project patch recaller. Perhaps it's the USB audio connection that causes issues. that said, unless i specifically want to track it to disk with uad studer tape or a unison pre sound, i DO bounce the plugin through the usb. Sorry you are having issues :(
Had no issues with the snow either, and this is the very same mac. I have the very last imac that existed before 1) snow leopard got discontinued (lion was released the next day) and 2) before they took away native usb2 ports, native FW800 port, and the optical drive.
I use the mac system profiler, the imac has 2 independent usb busses, so i make sure the virus is alone and i put minor stuff with it like the kb. But my midi interface, audio interface previously (now using thunderbolt), all my other keyboards, all on the other usb bus. I do have my ilok and elicenser plugged into the usb keyboard's 2 slots though, so they also share the virus bus.

Everytime i turn this thing on i am scared it will die LOL as it's 4.8 years old and the best imac ever made in my humble opinion.
2 completely independent channels of 10gb/s thunderbolt 1 rather than one channel sharing 20gb/s thunderbolt 2 (i still get 20gbs total that's the laugh, i mean in what case will 10 gb/s not be enough for one channel?), which means i have the uad's all on their own completely dedicated bus, and i have been able to create a usb 3 bus all on a dedicated thunderbolt channel of it's own, for usb 3 ssds, an optical drive and native firewire.. not to mention 4 native usb 2 ports which are compatible with every bit of usb hardware around. It was the best imac ever made, the fans never ramp up, and i am petrified of it ever dying on me. (3.4ghz i7 quad).

If you are using a newer mac with usb3, that could be the issue for you????

TheoM wrote:If you are using a newer mac with usb3, that could be the issue for you????
Late 2012 iMac. USB 2.0.

Phase47, did you try replacing the USB cable?

recursive one wrote:Phase47, did you try replacing the USB cable?
I did, yeah, thanks. 2 different ones, aside from the factory cable, in fact. It's not just me though, the Access forums are filled with people who are looking for stability, and there are also people there who are running fine. It's just one of those things.

It would be nice if it was solid, but I wouldn't let it stand in the way of enjoying this great synthesizer.

My Snow arrived this morning. All I can say is wow, it sounds gorgeous! The software pretenders are great, but it does seem to be in a different league. Very pleased after deliberating over a Virus for a couple of years. No issues with integration thus far.

recursive one wrote:... I finally have money to buy a used Snow right now. I've dreamed of it so long that I'm afraid it can be a big dissapointment actually - I mean that I love its sound without a doubt (I listened to tons of various demo clips), but I've also read more that once how buggy, clumsy and unreliable is this TI thing - is it really the case? What to pay attention to when testing a used item?

It would be my first hardware synth, and actually I want my ITB workflow to change as less as possible, so the reliability of the Virus Control plugin is very improtant for me. However I understand that it still won't be completely the same thing as using a native plugin - at least I'll have to bounce everything to audio before exporting a song a stereofile, and of course I won't be able to load more than one instance of Virus control at the same time. Are there any further differences and limitations?
I bought the Polar when it came out and honestly, I've never got the TI/Usb connection to work perfectly. It was much worse 8-9 years ago that today. But still... I've had problems with two Windows laptops, one Macbook and one iMac. The problems lately were not so bad and usually got fixed but giving the TI a hard reset - but still... that's really nothing you want to fck around with when making music.

One year ago I ditched the USB cable and hooked it up via MIDI instead. Not one issue since then.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I have my Ti Snow for two weeks now. The Virus Control Plugin works perfectly fine in new projects, I can save and re-open them, freeze and unfreeze the Virus plugin, export audio, add new Vrius plugin to these saved projects and all that, but when I try to add Virus Control to old Studio One projects it crashes them.

How can I identify the possible sources of the problem? Could it be related to the fact that I've changed ASIO buffer size from 2048 to 512 when installing the TI software (these old projects have been written at 2048)? I guess, it is not USB related issue because otherwise Virus would work bad in new project as well. Or may it be due to the fact that these old projects occupy the whole first core of my 8 core CPU, according to Windows Task Manager?

Win7, Studio One 2.5 64 bit, 8 core i7 machine, 8 GB RAM, M-Audio USB soundcard with ASIO-for-all driver.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”