Receptor VIP-No communication link

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello; anyone with any knowledge or suggestions would be appreciated. I was turning the knob on the VIP Receptor looking at different patches/samples and all of a sudden, it "hung up". Could not even turn it off in an attempt to reset it, so I did a hard shut down by holding the power button in. Ok, so I turn it back on and after a minute, the display simply says "can't start up..No communication link".
Nothing I can do at this point gets the VIP so that it starts up normally.
I have sent an email to Muse asking if I could send the unit in for repair, but no one has answered the email, so I am wondering if this is something a computer repair shop could handle?, or can someone point me in the right direction.
Thanks
Marc

It sounds like the hard drive cant boot (start) either because it is A:not connected properly or B:the drive ,proberbly the boot sector is damaged.Do you have a backup ?If the unit is still under garuntee i would let muse fix it.
If you leave it to anyone else you will void the garuntee.If the garuntee is Already out oppen the unit up and check the HD cable has not worked its way out of the mother board socket or the reciever on the hard drive.check the other cables while your at it.If it still dosent work it is proberbly a problem with the hard disks boot sector most computer shops wont be able to help you with that.If thats the case you will have to send the drive to muse to be fixed.
Good luck /Andy

Hi Marc,

In these situations the best way to diagnose the problem is to connect a computer monitor and keyboard directly to the Receptor. Receptor remote will not work for this because it can't make a connection until the unit has started. Boot it once with just the computer monitor, keyboard, and power cable attached and see how far it gets. You can also press CTRL+ALT+F2 at the Receptor splash screen to get a more detailed boot screen. If you see any failures please report them.

andym63 also has good suggestions. You can open the Receptor up and make sure all the cables and RAM are seated properly.

Best,
Nick

Thanks Nick and thanks to andym63. I will try checking connections again.
Marc

All connections appear to be in place and secured with silicone? There is a bundle of wires that i cant see where they go. This all happened when I merely turned the knob to view ptches. Muse still has not answered email directing me where to send unit for their inspection and repair.

Does anyone know why Muse Receptor folks wouldnt respond with any information as to steps to take or repair procedures involved for me to get my unit repaired? Or do I just box it up and ship it to the only address I can find for them? One of the guys I spoke with there once before seemed like a nice guy, so Im baffled as to no response from them regarding me shipping my Receptor to them for repair..

Hello
Have you tried phoning them.!
Regards Andy

Hi Marc,

I haven't personally received any e-mails from you but we can figure something out hopefully. If you haven't already, connect a computer monitor directly to the Receptor. Doing this may save you quite a bit of time and some money. With the monitor connected turn the Receptor on. If you see a screen that has something like "root@Receptor:#" then this can be easily solved with a few simple instructions. First though we have to confirm whether or not this is the case.

-Nick

Ok Nick;
I'm going to do this.
Thanks

Return to “Muse Research and Development”