Getting Voyetra Sequencer Plus running today

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

supernova777 wrote:for me, i think music would improve greatly if alot of people would forget bout the effects + focus more on writing + sequencing the way it was in the old days of Atari + early Mac/PC. everything was about MIDI... because we had no virtual instruments.. we had REAL midi instruments...
this is whats funny about *this* generation of "audio experts". would improve greatly if alot of people would forget bout the MIDI + focus more on writing + sequencing the way it was in the old days of Altair + early Apple. everything was about CV... because we had no MIDI instruments.. we had REAL analog instruments..
this is whats funny about *this* generation of "audio experts". would improve greatly if alot of people would forget bout the CV + focus more on writing + sequencing the way it was in the old days of Bell + Xerox. everything was about code... because we had no CV instruments.. we had REAL digital instruments.
this is whats funny about *this* generation of "audio experts". would improve greatly if alot of people would forget bout the synths + focus more on writing + sequencing the way it was in the old days of player pianos. everything was about punched cards... because we had no electronic instruments.. we had REAL mechanical instruments..
this is whats funny about *this* generation of "audio experts". would improve greatly if alot of people would forget bout the sequences + focus more on writing + playing the way it was in the old days of Baldwin and Steinway. everything was about the keyboard... because we had no mechanical instruments.. we had REAL acoustic instruments..
"this what funny about apes who 'clever with noise'. would be gooder if alot of apes stop think make noise with wood box and think more make noise repeat bangs on rocks. think more on repeat bangs like long old days of Grog and Merg. all thing about good was about type of rock... because we had no wood and string.. we had REAL rock instruments."
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Hey guys. I read about Voyetra Sequencer Plus on this forum last year (in this thread)

I was looking into it mainly because I have an old IBM PS/2 model 25 with a Sound Blaster card and wanted to learn a bit about MIDI music composition as well as see what my old hardware was capable of.

Here is a recent video of my setup in action. The Soundblaster card has a MIDI in and out. I'm sequencing my Akai S5000 with the out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmNVsH-mp14

Overall I think it has been easy and fun. I'm not sure how it compares to real modern DAW stuff as before this my only brief experiences with that had been Fruity Loops in the early 2000's

Anyway this has lead me down a rabbit hole of 80's and 90's music production, I now have an Atari ST with Cubase 2 that I'm going to switch over to. I'm planning on using my old IBM as a MIDI synth and sequence it externally.

spaceman wrote:And instead of using human DNA you can also use much cheaper frog DNA. It's a simpler DNA and it's rock solid (if you're a frog).
you can tell mr spaceman doesnt get out much
checking his posts hes continually rude and abusive on this msgboard..
is there not an admin or moderator thats aware of this?
--

@Supernova:

1. The red exclamation marked button (next to the "quote" button you did find) can be used to report any post you find violates the forum rules, so you can bring it to the attention of the moderators. It is impossible for them to read each and every single post.

2. Checking spaceman's posts (the clue is in his name) he doesn't seem that much interested in KVR lately, let alone posting harmless random nonsense in random threads. Also imho this specific post cannot be categorised as "rude and abusive". Maybe "surreal"...

3. Don't you also think that 22 months after the fact is a bit late to react on something which happened on the margin of a previous page, only two hours after your post in this thread, while you never bothered to look back, and while this was not targeted at you directly?

Strange... Imho ofcourse!
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

sorry i was too busy before to even realize that was a message directed at me, so i just "got the message" now.. while casually reviewing some old topics.
--

supernova777 wrote:
bluedad wrote:Sequencer Plus (Silver) was my first sequencer (1987).
I'm very happy with Cubase 5.5, no way would I go back to DOS, lol!
this is whats funny about *this* generation of "audio experts"
cubase isnt even really about being a sequencer anymore and hasnt been for al ong time
it more about digital audio + Effects + virtutalized music production

to compare cubase 5.5 to dos is a flawed comparison because they are different types of products really... one is focused on notes + musical sequencing.. the other is focused entirely on Virtua Instruments + Effects now + recording..
There are thousands of highly regarded film and video game composers making music with Cubase, using sample libraries which are primarily controlled via MIDI and are a hundred times more complex than these old "real" MIDI instruments.

But according to this random nobody, Cubase is apparently not focused on composing and sequencing enough. That's just too funny.

The idea that modern DAWs are any less capable than ancient MIDI sequencers is based on misinformation and hearsay, as you're making very clear. The one or two things they could do that modern DAWs can't aren't enough to justify using a computer from the stone age for making music, and you don't need one to use most useful hardware from the era either.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”