UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Must be a Bitwig issue with the automation names, full names report both in LogicX and Cubase 8.

EDIT: Have you updated to version 1.06 yet?

Yes just downloaded it today for the first time. It is 1.06.

Weird, bitwig shows far more characters for other synths. And it shows a"..." when the parameter name is longer than it can show. Doesn't show that with Falcon.

Falcon bass flute and some derivatives thereof - a track made with 2 patches, 100% Falcon, some volume and Macro automation, a limiter on the master outs.

https://soundcloud.com/sampleconstruct/ ... bass-flute

Echoes in the Attic wrote:So I looked in the factory scripts and did not find the MPE script. Is this a separate download? I thought it came included.

Also I am noticing an issue with parameter names reported to the host DAW. It only seems to show 6 characters, so many parameters end up being called the same thing. For example I loaded a preset that has some macros, the first few being something like Voice 1 filter, Voice 1 Detune etc. All of these parameters when enabled show in bitiwg as simply "Voice 1" which doesn't make sense. Parameters need to be properly reported for automation etc.
MPE is not yet included in the factory presets.
You can grab it here in the meantime
http://we.tl/AmVLH53elT

VST format had the good idea to limit automation name to 7 characters so we currently trim the name.
Some host could supports more but there are not following the specs.
Will see if we can detect the host and avoid the trimming if it is known to support more characters.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Yeah that limit is very stupid I must say.

I think this limitation is lifted with VST3, though? Not sure.

Wouldn't it be better to export the full name and let host do the trimming?

I just watched Eli Kranzberg's tutorial series on Falcon ( https://www.groove3.com/uvi-training-vi ... -Explained ) and I must say it is quite good indeed. It is no-nonsense and let's dive in straightaway, but that makes it more interesting for people who do not have much time to waste. I believed I started knowing my way around Falcon but I did have many 'aha' moments and he showed things I never tried before.
Mr. Kranzberg speaks clearly and very understandable, gives lots of examples and moves from explaining Falcon's structure up to intermediate level. After having watched this, many more things make much more sense and any beginner or slower learning person will have a good foundation to begin a personal discovery of Falcon's power.

There is a free example - lecture 2, the interface - on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOXtw9QMLI8

I am pleasantly surprised with this, really.
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

EvilDragon wrote:Yeah that limit is very stupid I must say.

VST specs do not allows this.
This would result in a crash in theory.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

In case some Falconists are interested in some fresh Falcon sounds, I just released Falcon Singles - Bass Flute, check it out here.

otristan wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Yeah that limit is very stupid I must say.

VST specs do not allows this.
This would result in a crash in theory.
A few comments:

1) Regarding the discussion above about parameter names - I just tested 16 VST2 instruments and found that only one kept parameters under 8 characters, which was U-he TyrellN6 (but other u-he synths had longer characters). So pretty all VSTs use longer characters and every host I've tried is fine with them (Ableton Live, Bitwig, Maschine, Logic).

It would be nice if you had some short distinction between different parameters with the same name as well. For example gain from two different oscillators is called volume in automation parameters. If there was some format of distinguishing like Reaktor does (although not as long, those names go on forever). But a convention like K1:Gain or K2:Gain for Keygroups 1 or 2 for example. Or A1:Pitch for Analog oscillator 1 pitch, W1:Index for Watevtable 1 index. IRG1:Pos, IRMG1:Pos for Ircam granular 1 position, and multi-granular position respectively. So basically it inumerates the instances of the different modules. This would be very useful.

Right now it's impossible to distinguish between different parameters in automation.

2) Another thing that I find very bizarre is this concept of the "long press" where it should just be a right-click menu. The strangest thing is that there is no right-click function where there is a long press menu! Doing a right-click on an oscillator for example folds it just like a left-click. Why create a new type of input that not all devices can do? Context menus should be right-click. Everything can do a right-click. You can't long press with touch for example, as it does a right-click! I just don't understand changing a pretty much universal convention of right-click context menus.

3) Where is loop fade in and out for the regular Sample oscillator?

thanks

->3) - crossfade looping explained:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KaTa-k ... ZvbrMW-8r4

Echoes in the Attic wrote:2) Another thing that I find very bizarre is this concept of the "long press" where it should just be a right-click menu. The strangest thing is that there is no right-click function where there is a long press menu! Doing a right-click on an oscillator for example folds it just like a left-click. Why create a new type of input that not all devices can do? Context menus should be right-click. Everything can do a right-click. You can't long press with touch for example, as it does a right-click! I just don't understand changing a pretty much universal convention of right-click context menus.
This is a VERY good point. I'm all for right-click, it's faster than long press. Would be nice to have it like that in Falcon, yep.

Sampleconstruct wrote:->3) - crossfade looping explained:

Thanks!

EvilDragon wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:2) Another thing that I find very bizarre is this concept of the "long press" where it should just be a right-click menu. The strangest thing is that there is no right-click function where there is a long press menu! Doing a right-click on an oscillator for example folds it just like a left-click. Why create a new type of input that not all devices can do? Context menus should be right-click. Everything can do a right-click. You can't long press with touch for example, as it does a right-click! I just don't understand changing a pretty much universal convention of right-click context menus.
This is a VERY good point. I'm all for right-click, it's faster than long press. Would be nice to have it like that in Falcon, yep.
Yeah they NEED to change this. Anything where you have to wait just the right amount of time is not good design. I find I accidentally just fold the oscillator a lot trying to go quick. That kind of thing is maddening. It's all the more strange because it does not seem out of necessity since right-click is not used.

Agreed on the long-press thing. I've been meaning to post that as well. A right-click would be better IMO, and would save my fingers from some extra stress (and as I use a computer all day I take that seriously ;)

It took me a while to get used to the long click, now I don't think about it anymore.

Return to “Instruments”