Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do you think of this beauty?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133600341 ... ed-public/

Just kidding. But this is my telecaster to be in present condition.
Started in a guitar building course last night.

OK, this one is kind of unspectacular, but i never played a Fender (don't play much electric guitar and i am not very good at it) but was thinking about getting one for some time now and then I saw this one in the classifieds. Bought it yesterday as an early birthday present for myself. It's a Fender American Deluxe from 2009 in great condition, not a single scratch. I already like it. It has a push-push pot to switch between a humbucker and single coil configuration, so it has like ten different sounds.
But maybe a more experienced electric guitar player can answer me this: what are the tone pots good for? I haven't found a single position where they actually sound good, they just make the sound dull and muffled.

most people run tone pots all the way open most of the time. In fact there are mods to bypass them completely to get that last extra bit of crispy comes through. However, some setups can be extremely bright. So a slight roll off can help fight the ice pick in the ear. Also, there are many songs that shoot for the so called "woman tone" ... Rolling the tone all the way off is generally a good start for that. Then there is band context. You don't always want to drive your tone through.

Lastly, like so many things around audio ... it's the entire chain that matters. Maybe your setup is just dark to begin with, rendering the tone roll off unnecessary. Or, you just aren't used to the electric sound by itself. Kind of like listening to drums from behind the kit. What sounds like shit to the player actually works great 30 feet out front.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

The american deluxe features something called S1 switching.
Here's the link about it and what it does.
Ps..you are neither splitting or tapping a hum-bucker, they're single coil pick ups.
http://www2.fender.com/experience/tech- ... switching/
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

werp wrote:The american deluxe features something called S1 switching.
Here's the link about it and what it does.
Ps..you are neither splitting or tapping a hum-bucker, they're single coil pick ups.
http://www2.fender.com/experience/tech- ... switching/
Thanks clarifying and for the link, i was just guessing cause it sounded a bit humbucker-y to my layman ears :)

Shark II has arrived.
ImageImage
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

that's just a great guitar. looks amazing. Hope it plays/sounds as good.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I think I have the same guitars as the last time I posted here :lol:

Happiness is good.

Still want a 7. Not really in the funds currently.

incubus wrote:I think I have the same guitars as the last time I posted here :lol:

Happiness is good.

Still want a 7. Not really in the funds currently.
Me too, pretty happy with my parts-caster strato-tele deluxe. Not in love with it, but I like it enough that I've done some recording with it, which I will count as progress.

Got one of these in the cupboard I can't open for a few weeks.

Was either that or this for a b'day pressy.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

I found this one on a skip a couple of days ago:

Are we allowed to discuss loopers in this thread? :?

I saw the TC Electronic has one out which looks pretty cool, but the main thing that caught my eye was the fact that it has midi sync. As someone who would like to jam along to tracks and record into my DAW this seems rather interesting. Does anyone have any opinions on this or other loopers? Is midi sync worth the extra money?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6FBgf5Me0
My milkshake brings all the girls to the yard

http://soundcloud.com/the-boogee-man

I was honestly debating getting the Yamaha Variax standard. I've got so many guitars now but the standard would fill some voids in classic guitars. Then I was overcome by the linnstrument.

The linn has ruined guitar playing for me. Every free moment I have is devoted to playing / learning the linnstrument. So I'm cured from guitar playing / buying for at least the next 6 months to a year.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

been checking out really budget guitars. davison for $54.99:
the wood is lightweight. these davisons play fairly well.

imo, monoprice are better. they definitely use a heavier wood, and arrive with good strings, and have been ready to go (in my experience). these budget brands on the other hand seem hit and miss. better to plunk down an extra $30 or so and avoid the hassle by getting a monoprice.

having 'said' all that, i really like this davison for its simplicity. as for these budget brands in general, a person could do worse spending 50-60 bucks on a piece of wall art. ymmv

it seems like there maybe one or two factories making all of these various budget brands -- davison, sawtooth, bguitars, etc. -- but that monoprice has their own factory.

next up, harley benton brand. looking at the 'jaguar copy'.

anyone checked out eastwood guitars?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”