Linnstrument with Multi-Timbral Dave Smith analog synths in note-per-channel mode.

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Of course, I wouldn't suggest that DSI (nor any other manufacturers) should be criticized for not making all of their products open-source after they have reached EOL. I was just wistfully expressing that it would be "cool" for the few of us that want to use the Tetra in a very specific way it wasn't designed for or marketed as supporting, yet has the hardware to accomplish. Nor am I saying that all products should do everything for everyone.

I know all about vocal minorities of customers than want specific software features that require significant engineering investments. Although I'm not a dev, I work in the software developmet field. I myself have researched, spec'd and lobbied for some REALLY COOL features that will never see the light of day because the percentage of my company's users that would find any use in "my" features is just too small.

DSI is a great company that has made and continues to make great products as well as support old ones (they offered to upgrade the OS on my second-hand Tetra for free). I swear I'm not a shill, but my rig now includes a Prophet 08, Tetra, Evolver Desktop as well as a Linnstrument and an Adrenalinn III. I'll probably get a Tempest eventually, I mean, why not?

I also share the hope that as ChPerNote controllers become more common that synth companies take note and manufacture new and exciting synthesizers to use with them. That is actually one reason why I wrote to DSI to inquire about ChPerNote, to give them a little bit of positive reinforcement that a new generation of MPE enabled Prophets would have a market.

Thanks for the clarification, Illintech. Channel-Per-Note will start to be added to more products soon, which will certainly make it easier for LinnStrument owners.

Resurrecting an old thread here... so I'm trying to get the Tetra working with Linnstrument as an MPE instrument using the procedure described above, but I ran into a snag. I created a basic patch with two modulation settings:

Mod 1: Pressure -> Low Pass frequency
Mod 2: Mod Wheel -> Resonance

On Linnstrument I have it set to ChPerNote, Y = CC 1, Z = CHAN PRES.

Tetra Multi Mode is on and the patch Y & Z works fine on voices 1 & 3, but voices 2 & 4 aren't responding to Z (pressure). X & Y response is fine and independent on all voices. Has anyone had a problem like this? I'm running Tetra Main OS 1.5 and voice 1.2.

It's been a long time since I had a Tetra at my disposal; but, as I recall, the voices on the Tetra are grouped together in groups of two: i.e. voices 1 and 2 share certain parameters, like overall amplitude for instance; as do voices 3 and 4. So, if you're using pressure to control amplitude specifically, that would certainly fit with your description above.

Cheers!

I did a little more experimenting, and this is only a problem when using the Mod 1–4 slots with Pressure as the source. The same problem occurs on these mod slots when using MIDI Expression and MIDI Foot as the source on these slots, and setting Z at CC 11 or 4, respectively. BUT I just discovered there is a separate, dedicated modulation parameter for Pressure, which doesn't use Mod 1–4. When configuring that parameter separate channel per note modulation works overall 4 voices!

I also found that setting Mod 1 source to Mod Wheel or Breath works on all 4 voices. Since they don't have this even/odd voice bug, those are the sources to use for the Mod 1–4 slots (e.g. if you want to modulate more than one parameter simultaneously with Linnstrument Y or Z.)

Return to “Roger Linn Design”