Q: Meters and Peak Levels

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, in perfect world with infinite resolution a sine would indeed be "one" number in the list of frequencies. But we live in a very imperfect world, where a sine wave is represented almost always by many frequencies, which sum up into that sine wave. Simply put, in spectral domain you have say 4Hz, 8Hz, 12Hz... Now what if you want to analyze 10Hz? There is no such frequency and there is infinite possibilities. So it uses all other frequencies to sort of simulate the 10Hz. Ugly maths... :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Well, in perfect world with infinite resolution a sine would indeed be "one" number in the list of frequencies. But we live in a very imperfect world, where a sine wave is represented almost always by many frequencies, which sum up into that sine wave. Simply put, in spectral domain you have say 4Hz, 8Hz, 12Hz... Now what if you want to analyze 10Hz? There is no such frequency and there is infinite possibilities. So it uses all other frequencies to sort of simulate the 10Hz. Ugly maths... :D
I understand that, thank you. But Dark Star created a sine wave, so there was data there ... I don't understand why the Max graph would show a different peak level than the peak meter?

Unless the algorithm is constructed to be more helpful in real world situations (where pure sine waves are uncommon), at the expense of accuracy in those rare situations, perhaps?

When analyzing spectrum, the relative proportions of the frequencies matter. Think about it this way - if it is not a sine wave, then peak meter value wouldn't be related anyway...
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:When analyzing spectrum, the relative proportions of the frequencies matter. Think about it this way - if it is not a sine wave, then peak meter value wouldn't be related anyway...
I'm a little embarrassed by my inability to follow this, thank you for taking the time to answer.

I read your response as addressing a signal with multiple frequencies (" ...relative proportion of the frequencies", " ...if it is not a sine wave", etc.). But the original post *was* for a single frequency. So I'm having a hard time using your kind response to answer the question in the original post, "Why do the two peak meter give such different values?".

Thanks again for reading!

Because the energy is spread into the surrounding frequencies the frequency is dissolved into. Please don't think about it :).
Vojtech

Hi Vojtech,

what do you think about a combined meter scale for IN/OUT? Which shows the RMS difference between IN- and OUT-signal. Maybe an average time of three seconds? This would save space on the gui!?

Thanks and greets

Marek

Hi Marek,

I'm afraid I don't see much use for it. Too many meters already :). Plus wasted CPU... just look at in & out ;).
Vojtech

I mean instead of the In and Out meters, which are included, only one metering, which would save space and CPU. I didn´t mean an extra meter besides the existing ones!

Hmmm, but that would be harder to use anyway, plus the wasted CPU for something that is not really needed.
Vojtech

In my opinion one Meter is eadier to USS and mich faster in Findung the right volumee.

I think you shouldn't focus on the input at all, the output is what matters ;).
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”