Looking for Channel Strip replacement

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've had some graphics issues with my current choice of channel strip (VoxFormer) and the need to evaluate an alternative has now become essential.

I'm looking for EQ, comp, gate and de-ess in one. Lo CPU would be ideal.

Whatchagot guys and gals?

I think the need for a de-esser would be the killer blow for many of the available channel strips.

But you could try for instance iZotope Nectar Elements https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mix ... -elements/
or maybe ToneBoosters Tb Evoke http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-evoke/

I don't have much experience with these particular products, but they're both top-notch companies.
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

Eventide Ultrachannel? I don't know if the 50$ sale is still up.

Thanks guys - I'll need to demo Nectar and Evoke but I already have UltraChannel, which I'd forgotten about. I only ever pull it out for the micro pitch shift.. Maybe I'll take a deeper look, I'm just not too keen on the EQ interface.

The hidden power in VF is the multi-band gate, I'm gonna miss that. And I don't think any other plug has it..

While you're checking out Nectar, give iZotope's Alloy a shot. =]

Yes, Alloy also has a De-esser (possibly the same as in Nectar?)

CinningBao wrote:Thanks guys - I'll need to demo Nectar and Evoke but I already have UltraChannel, which I'd forgotten about. I only ever pull it out for the micro pitch shift.. Maybe I'll take a deeper look, I'm just not too keen on the EQ interface.

The hidden power in VF is the multi-band gate, I'm gonna miss that. And I don't think any other plug has it..
That's true, the Eventide designers should update their GUIs. Fine tuning the parameters is hard to do, and the controls are very small.

aMUSEd wrote:Yes, Alloy also has a De-esser (possibly the same as in Nectar?)
Unfortunately not. Nectar 2 de esser is leaps n bounds better than alloy which is using traditional multi band compression, whereas nectar has an intelligent algorithm designed to locate sibilants. Alloy is a fantastic channel strip don't get me wrong, but the deesser IMO is the weak link. Nectar 2 is a fantastic boutique channel strip plugin and really both products are wonderful and complement each other. Nectar is useful on a lot more than just vocals, too. Nectar 2 I give 10/10 to without reservation, I am sure nectar 3 will be even more incredible! The pitch shift and doubler uses radius and the emt plate emu is great as are the saturation, dynamics etc. such a full featured product, I use it on synths too all the time :)

Thanks - looks like I should check it out then

Since I have pretty much everything else by Izotope - do they have a completion upgrade path?

Goodness me - thanks for all these recommendations guys, I'll need some time to assess the line-up.

Do I need SSL or equivalent emulation? Nope. Do I want colourful EQ and saturation? Nope. Do I want tuning and reverb? Nope. I just want a simple, clean EQ, compressor, gate and maybe de-esser. Maybe I _should_ consider just using the hosts built-in offerings.

aMUSEd wrote:Thanks - looks like I should check it out then

Since I have pretty much everything else by Izotope - do they have a completion upgrade path?
OK I just asked them, they don't. How stupid! These days many companies offer loyalty reductions (eg FabFilter, DMG, PSP) or the opportunity to upgrade to a bundle if you have most of their other products. Ah well, it is in the Market place at least. Their loss.

huh? I thought they had a path to go to the production bundle. That's news to me! Sorry about that! I used that path myself so not sure why they ended it :?

CinningBao wrote:Goodness me - thanks for all these recommendations guys, I'll need some time to assess the line-up.

Do I need SSL or equivalent emulation? Nope. Do I want colourful EQ and saturation? Nope. Do I want tuning and reverb? Nope. I just want a simple, clean EQ, compressor, gate and maybe de-esser. Maybe I _should_ consider just using the hosts built-in offerings.
That may be the best option. What host are you using?

"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Effects”