Synths loaded with CHARACTER - what's yours?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bluedad wrote:Imposcar 2
+1

Diversion is another 8)

Charlatan, especially with the added features in 2.0

I don't own it yet but go listen to the new Arcsyn. Sounds like nothing I own.

Other synths in the running that I do own.

Harmor
Bazille
Cycle (buggy as hell though)
The Mangle
Wavemapper 2

If I want unusual or different character that doesn't sound like everything else, I'll reach for one of these for different uses obviously.

Kaivo is definitely one with it's own character. Definitely requires a bit of post processing to get it to sit in a mix though.
:borg:

Animoog.

Software:
u-he - Bazille/ACE
Madrona Labs - Aalto
AAS - Chromaphone
Audio Damage - Phosphor

Hardware:
Mutable Instruments' Ambika has tons of character and that character can change depending on which voice cards you chose. They are all super lush though. Lofi wavetables through analog filters is like peanut butter and chocolate.

Mini/Microbrutes also have a lot of distinctive character. The folded triangle (Metal) with some Brute factor is an awesome sound.

When you get into modular stuff, it's hard to find stuff that doesn't have it's own character! Many modules sound different from one unit to the next (particularly when vactrols are involved).

Character is why you choose your synths, right?

chk071 wrote:Character is why you choose your synths, right?
Depends on the job - I mean I wouldn't really pick Olga for a sweet melodic uplifting trance track :lol: Character is just one of the important qualities of a synth.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

DrGonzo wrote:
ariston wrote:Stretching the "synth" label a little, but what the hey, that's what it's for: TAL-Sampler. Buckets of character.
Another good choice I didn't think of! I think you and me have the same taste :)

/C
Looks (sounds) like it! :)

All kindsa choices for one's enjoyment!! :wheee: :wheee:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

DrGonzo wrote:
Depends on the job - I mean I wouldn't really pick Olga for a sweet melodic uplifting trance track :lol: Character is just one of the important qualities of a synth.

/C
What would be the use case of Olga then?

chk071 wrote:
DrGonzo wrote:

/C
What would be the use case of Olga then?
For some very unruly music :lol: Depends on your taste I guess, and style of music.
Personally I've used it as a tone generator, which I sample and process further.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

BDeep wrote:
elxsound wrote:Madronalabs' Aalto

Yup, definitively!
Absolutely! Aalto & Kaivo.

Redsound Elevata..... yes, I have one.

since I cannot say mine, I say for a difference in character Swarm Synth by Anarchy Sound Software, discontinued, free, only 32-bit and a bitch to program, but so unique

Return to “Instruments”