An insanely detailed sampled 22 inch kick drum: $5 US

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A Slingerland 22 inch kick drum made in the 70s.

500 samples.

4 microphones, each with a separate volume control.

a 5 key keyboard mapping in the sfz format, each key with its own complete sample set, with 5 velocities and 5X round robin.

That's 4 x 5 x 5 x 5.

For 5 bucks!

Demo Song.

Go here for the samples.

The bells and whistles have yet to be added to the page, but I thought that I would give a heads up to my friends here at kvr right away.

This sample set has only been tested succesfully in Plogue's Sforzando player, but as this player is pretty near universally available for free, the set is still a good deal.

This sample set is completely compatible with the freeware instrument called the Real Snare Drum, available on my freeware page. Sforzando only allows you to load one instrument at a time, so you will need to use two instances of Sforzando fed from the same MIDI input device, but in terms of CC#s and mapping configurations, they fit together precisely.

Very interesting. So, what's the difference between the different keys? Different tuning and/or beater?

DSmolken wrote:Very interesting. So, what's the difference between the different keys? Different tuning and/or beater?
No. Each key has the same beater and tuning, but with a different set of samples. The reason for the different keys will become more evident as the whole kit comes together, but you can see the basic idea with the Real Snare Drum on my freeware page.

I have to be elsewhere right now, but I will be back with more details as the day progresses.

Thanks.

Will you make a Kontakt version?

BTW I purchased your snare a long time ago. :tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:Will you make a Kontakt version?
I hope so. I am just getting back into sampling, after a long legal headache over a trademark took me out of it. I prefer Sforzando for what I do, but I know Kontakt is very popular, so if things start to gain momentum I will start doing versions for it.
BTW I purchased your snare a long time ago. :tu:
Thanks! Wait till you see the new one!

Just so you know, this kick drum is part of my new modular kit idea. Every drum and cymbal is recorded in a small heavily treated space that reduces room noise to almost nothing. This allows the user to mix and match kit components with impunity, as every component will be recorded in the center of a stereo field in a neutral environment.

My hope is to eventually have a large collection of drums and cymbals available, where the user can either buy solo instruments or create kits of their own choosing.

I already have many more instruments lined up for recording. Speaking of which, I should get to work!

Sounds like a great idea. I'll be paying attention! :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

herodotus wrote: I have to be elsewhere right now, but I will be back with more details as the day progresses.
OK, so it was more than a day. :hihi:

The idea for GASKit1, of which this kick drum is a part, is to have drums and cymbals that are sampled in regions, as in the diagram below:

So not only will the kit components have numerous velocity layers and round robin variations, but they will also be sampled in different regions and mapped to reflect this.

Obviously this doesn't really apply to a kick drum, which has a fixed beater, but it is important that the kick drum keys be playable from anywhere that the other kit components are, as the interaction between them is constant and essential. That is why I made the kick drum playable from multiple keys.

At the same time, I wanted to avoid phase issues, and the dreaded machine gun effect, which is why each key has a completely different set of samples.

I hope this makes sense. In any case, the kick drum is extremely easy to play, offers a large variety of tonal possibilities with the 4 different microphones, and makes creating killer metal kick drum patterns a snap. Plus, did I mention it was only 5$ US? I mean, that is a mere penny per sample!

herodotus wrote:So not only will the kit components have numerous velocity layers and round robin variations, but they will also be sampled in different regions and mapped to reflect this.

Obviously this doesn't really apply to a kick drum, which has a fixed beater, but it is important that the kick drum keys be playable from anywhere that the other kit components are, as the interaction between them is constant and essential. That is why I made the kick drum playable from multiple keys.
Thanks, now it's starting to make sense.

DSmolken wrote: Thanks, now it's starting to make sense.
Good. I sometimes have trouble describing the big pictures in my head in a way that makes sense to anyone but me.

Encroaching senility, I guess.

:hihi:

Very cool! :)

ethermusic1981 wrote:Very cool! :)
Thanks.

I have to remember to start an RSS feed. I can't expect people to keep coming back to the page every day just in case.

:hihi:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”