Intricate Synth Trance Leads

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Been listening to Rustie's new album, EVENIFYUDONTBELIEVE - and its laden with amazing, intricate synth leads, at speeds ranging from 155-175.

I wondered how best to achieve this type of sequencing. It has to be a step sequencer, right?
But which would you recommend?

Can you provide a sound example? Youtube or something?

Hi,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo8ePtlbtPY

from about 1:20
those leads, they're pace-y and intricate. Hows is that sequenced?

Terrible sound quality. Also, it's nowhere near "trance"

Sounds like FM with multitude of sequencers / step LFOs assigned to different parameters. Modular would also do.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

155-175 bpm, intricate leads, trance... I was expecting to hear some hi-tech/psycore crazy FM stuff but not this. :wink:

Don't hear anything intricate about these leads, just a simple pattern which changes according to the chord progression. If you know basic music theory you can easily program this with mouse and piano-roll :) Probably there are some filter parameters linked to velocity, the sound quality is indeed bad, hard to hear what is going on in detail.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

i literally thought there was something wrong with my audio.

not trance.
not intricate.

i was was also expecting some hi-tech/darkpsy type leads (which arent intricate at all...they just sound like they are).

these could be drawn in by hand in the piano roll.
ImageImageImage

Nothing intricate about them,typical euro trance,"Scouse/Bouncy House",commercial trance,UK Hardcore arpeggiated lead.1st and 3rd intervals alternating through the Aeolian mode (minor) in 1/8th triplets and 16ths usually

Pick a scale,play the root note as a kind of pedal note and then just start from an interval above that usually 3rd or 5th played syncopated with the bass note up and down or whatever other contrary motion you can think of,but usually if the bass note goes up ,the lead note comes down and sometimes there's a 3rd movement in there as well which will just be the fifth mimicking the motion of the bass note (it's an arpeggio basically)

I used to produce that crap (all of the above)for a living once upon a time,this particular lead sounds like it came from one of the Scouse/Bouncy House lot. D-Code,Hypasonic,BCD Project look into them you'll find very similar if not identical execution in terms of melody

The guys Scottish so it makes sense.Scots love them some cheddar,or rather northerners in general :hyper:
I

Return to “Production Techniques”