Jack Audio experiences?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I want to route both audio as well as midi,,...

Does anyone have experience with this program?
How is the kagency?

It doesn't add latency - it only routes, no processing - buffers get passed from input to output without (significant) delay.

Audio - I've used it happily on both Linux and Windows for years and wouldn't be without it.

MIDI - hm.

Developer politics - stay well clear, is all I can say.

jackOSX works great on my system, I have used it mainly for routing audio between OSX apps and wine apps. I've never been able to use the midi since it appears that this will only work with apps that have jack midi support built into them, which is pretty much nothing on OSX. Besides IAC generally works good enough.
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

pljones wrote:It doesn't add latency - it only routes, no processing - buffers get passed from input to output without (significant) delay.
Does it resample between programs? Does it also convert PCM depths?

No, it routes audio buffers, so all connected apps have to run with the same settings as the JACK server.

That sucks, it could be really useful if it did.

no it would really suck if it was trying to do that...it would add incredible latency and cpu overhead. that's the job for another tool. Jack does one thing very well...its shuffles audio around between apps in a very efficient manner.

Dewdman42 wrote:no it would really suck if it was trying to do that...it would add incredible latency and cpu overhead. that's the job for another tool. Jack does one thing very well...its shuffles audio around between apps in a very efficient manner.
Yes I understand that. For my desired uses, it would be necessary.
Other programs like JACK seem to be buggy by user reviews. How does JACK function without system drivers btw? It uses the Daemon program, but how do applications interface with it?

On Windows, there's a Jack ASIO driver. I don't know if there's a Core driver on MacOS. Otherwise, programs have to be written to work with Jack via libjack, which tends to be the Linux way. (For some reason, PortAudio doesn't support Jack on Windows unless you compile it yourself, so developers using it as their platform independent library could use Jack on Windows but tend not to.)
Last edited by pljones on Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

on Mac there is JackOSX. It works with any audio program.

There are not many programs that support Jack-midi (in Linux). Most of them are using ALSA midi, which is not optimal.

Jack-midi would be the best option, because then you would have audio and midi in perfect sync always and things like offline rendering (similar to Bounce in Logic) would be possible for software synths using midi.

That aside, I think Jack is definitely the most easiest / robust way of handling audio routing between programs I have seen.

Yep I have always felt that the jack technology is pretty much more like rewire, if everyone would just adopt it into their software we would have two directional license free rewire functionality in a universal way. sample accurate synchronization of audio and midi between apps and potentially even across the network someday

Somewhat complicated to Install, but once setup it works like a charm for routing Audio. MIDI does not work for me.

On Windows 7, with buffer size 256, Audio Latency is about 8 ms.

For MIDI:
On MAC, use IAC Virtual MIDI Port.
On Windows, LoopMIDI.

Both of these work like a charm for routing MIDI.

nbd wrote:There are not many programs that support Jack-midi (in Linux). Most of them are using ALSA midi, which is not optimal.

Jack-midi would be the best option, because then you would have audio and midi in perfect sync always and things like offline rendering (similar to Bounce in Logic) would be possible for software synths using midi.

That aside, I think Jack is definitely the most easiest / robust way of handling audio routing between programs I have seen.
Internal MIDI Routing works perfectly with IAC Virtual MIDI, and LoopMIDI. At least for MAC and Windows this problem is solved.

Dewdman42 wrote:Yep I have always felt that the jack technology is pretty much more like rewire, if everyone would just adopt it into their software we would have two directional license free rewire functionality in a universal way. sample accurate synchronization of audio and midi between apps and potentially even across the network someday
Rewire is past; JACK is future.

Rewire one direction Audio; JACK Multi-directional Audio.

So yes, I'm with you; developers should start adopting JACK instead of Rewire.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”