Archetype Instruments Lokomotiv feedback

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lokomotiv

DrewDale wrote:I play a note on my qwerty keyboard or play a note on my Microkorg / USB > MIDI it is the same no matter what. Piano roll also hangs notes and the envelopes still don't function.

Basically what is happening for me is the Sustain slider is acting like a volume control.
Hi again,
We are tried to reproduce your problem last days but couldn't on FL11. windows 8.1.
I don't have micro korg but tested with Korg micro key and nano key. Also we never received any report from FL users similar case of you. So, it would be great If you can try some more.
1. Have you tried with other sequencer or host? if not, Could you please run with SAVI host? (free simple host) http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm

2. Could you please confirm that your platform (32 bit or 64bit) of your host and Lokomotiv is same?
ex) Did you used 64 host with 64bit plugin?

Thanks for your help.

I downloaded the version that is on the product page / DC14 page, there was no option to download 32 or a 64 bit, it just downloaded as a zip, in the exe properties there is no info regarding 32 or 64 bit ?

I run - Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.0Ghz / 2GB Ram / 32 bit OS windows 8.1.

I have just tested it with savi host and the instrument is working as it should do, the envelopes are working like they should, but it won't work in my DAW. I don't have any other host or sequencer to test it on.
:tu: All is good

DrewDale wrote:I downloaded the version that is on the product page / DC14 page, there was no option to download 32 or a 64 bit, it just downloaded as a zip, in the exe properties there is no info regarding 32 or 64 bit ?
The installer is recognize OS automatically. probably installation should be correct.
DrewDale wrote: I run - Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.0Ghz / 2GB Ram / 32 bit OS windows 8.1.
I tried to reproduce your problem under 32bit environment but still couldn't :(
Also I asked to local FLstudio community but nobody found note hanging problem...
DrewDale wrote:
I have just tested it with savi host and the instrument is working as it should do, the envelopes are working like they should, but it won't work in my DAW. I don't have any other host or sequencer to test it on.
Thanks for your testing. It is one of important clue for me. Even though it work on SAVI host, we have to solve this issue! Because probably you don't have note hanging with other 3rd party synth plug in right?

One of my suspicion is midi loop back because your are using MiroKorg(HW synth with USB midi) and FL studio (don't have "arm" button on channel).
Does you set Midi in and out to Micor Korg on FL studio setup?
Did you set "local off" on Micor Korg?
Could you please send your screen shot of midi setting (F10 key) of FL studio ?
Also It would be great if you can send copy of debug log text then we can ask with it to FL studio support.

I am not at my home to do you a screenshot (perhaps on Monday) how ever, it doesn't matter if I use a midi keyboard or a qwerty keyboard. I still get hung notes and the sustain slider acting like a volume control. As mentioned there is no issue using savi host.

All my other vst's work fine.
:tu: All is good

Woops, here's the proper thread...sorry about that. I'm copying my post from the other thread here, too, just in case:

Hey JW, I was looking for a thread on Lokomotiv, because you're so close to having a new classic on your hands, it almost hurts!

I am in love with your synth (Loko), but it has some fundamental issues that you really should be able to fix fairly easily and it will definitely turn it into one of the most memorable and most certainly usable synths out there! I kept writing in your release post, not sure, if you were reading any of it?

Polyphony logic needs fixes:
1) (same) Note cancellations
A same note should not get cancelled by being struck again. Especially when you have velocity on amp, you will notice how wrong that is. That's a compare you can literally throw out.

2) Other odd note cancellation criteria?
I'm not sure how you make the choice to cancel notes when you go beyond maximum polyphony, but it seems like it's not based on the quietest notes still playing? I was thinking about making a sorting routine during the play processing, which would avoid having to make some dedicated loops for such a check afterwards. Then, if any number of notes goes beyond the maximum polyphony, you could go through that sorted list of quietest notes. It might sound complicated, but it really isn't, and it would be a great exercise for you to create a powerful competitor in the commercial world later on, for sure! (...along might come some buffering approach, but that might be a bit too much right now?!)

3) custom set maximum polyphony
Your synth is beautifully efficient and fast and can handle a much greater amount of notes playing. An option to determine maximum amount of voices would be really perfect! Alternatively, increasing it to 64 or 128 might be adequate as well? But some people might still want to use old machines, I don't know...

Frequency matters
1) Global Tuning
I was pretty shocked to not find that, actually. Seems trivial, but it's pretty vital in a number of ways, besides fundamental tuning on songs, with a powerful synthesis like yours you want to explore more sophisticated frequencies and without global tuning that is really tough!

2) Individual tuning for oscillators
Would be fantastic! :hyper:

Interface
Really just the Bend Range mistake. Pitch bend range shows the amount of half notes you can go around your current note. The smallest being 1 not 2! So...it really should be your current bend range - 1. ;)

That's all! :)
If you can somehow manage to fix those things above, you can be sure you'll soon be the loudest name praised in the scene and the splash you'll make will carry you for a long, long time! Any endeavors for a next commercial synth will promise to be an instant hit and probably an instant classic. I don't say this lightly! I'm sure of it! 8)

Oh, and please, please, forgive me, if I ask that, but the current OSC (#79) features your beauty and if you somehow manage to squeeze in at least the polyphony mattering fix of the same note cancellation kind of shortly, it would be awesome. Increasing polyphony would be also fantastic, of course... but, yeah, the former is much, much more important! :pray:

Thank you for your piece of glory and beauty and I'm already a huge fan of yours! :phones:

(Holy crap, I just noticed that this thread is over a year old?!? How did I miss all this? Now I'm really praying jwchoi is still developing!?!)

IN my opinion, this is the best sounding synth i ever tried!!! Please keep up the good work!
The pre/post Drive is is so incredible wild analog :love:

Yeah, I know your euphoria, too... but just try a bit of polyphonic playing and it will moderate your joy significantly.
There are a few things this little potential beast could use to catch up to the happiness it creates in the first 30 minutes.

Hi i made a new skin for Lokomotiv:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=457068
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Very nice! :-)
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

Thank you! New presets are also provided there also!

The sound of this thing blows my mind. I think i could sell most of my hardware VAs and stay with this just for the sound. But the architecture is incredibly limited.

Have you thought of creating a more traditional version with this same sound engine and selling it for gold? i would not mind the price if it has this sound quality and a nice preset manager a la synth1.

I think low notes sound nice but i dont like detuning algo, its not useable at higher values, too much out of tune, it should be refined and entire range of detuning should be useable, it goes from juno detuning to out of tune, skipping jupiter and unison then JP-8000 supersaw, it kinda does some kind of supersaw but thats not it, its out of tune, supersaw is almost like orchestra strings slightly detuned but not out of tune so its sounds wrong.synth1 and xhip do it right.
That strange routing without filter envelope doesnt let us create brass sounds, too bad , its a huge issue IMO ,its too simplified probably cause theres no space for new set of env sliders.

By the way i tinkered with GUI for awhile
And for other guy
still wip

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”