Budget Master Bus Limiters?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BW-LIMIT 87 HoRNet Magnus L1 Ultramaximizer Limited-Z Limiter No6 TLs Pocket Limiter

Gamma-UT wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Ok, can you elaborate?
The circuit in the Fairchild 660 is pretty simple but effective. People are pretty insensitive to short-term distortion – if you clip a sharp peak, I doubt anyone could hear the difference. It's why hard clipping can work really well and up to a point is practically unnoticeable. With a limiter you can turn the audio down and back up again real fast as long as the short-term peak is short-lived. The release circuit in the Fairchild does this, but if the audio power is strong after the peak, the release takes longer to kick in to avoid pumping.

Every maximising limiter since then has built on that approach - look at what the audio does post-peak and work out how best to manipulate it to minimise apparent distortion. From what I understand, you can play with release shapes and settings and match them to the music or speech to avoid apparent distortion - which is where you get a lot of variability in limiter performance.
So here you're largely talking about flexibility which the simple limiters don't give you. But the 670 clones don't give you much here either, just some tailoring of the time constant. So what are some examples of limiters that are state of the art in this category? Granted, this is the kind of tool where it's more about user skill than technology and, off the cuff, it's not clear to me that this kind of thing couldn't be implemented in a cheap limiter, it sounds like it's something that there's not as much market for in the low end?
Also, with fast limiting, you are doing amplitude modulation. That tends to lead to sidebands forming around strong frequency peaks and you get lots of intermodulation distortion. You want to hide those effects if you can.

Over time, the design principle behind limiters seems to have headed further and further into psychoacoustics. Alexey Lukin's patent for Izotope (https://www.google.com/patents/US9225310) centres on the same kind of ideas that drive MP3 and AAC compression: psychoacoustic masking. It basically does a lot of parallel processing then picks the one with the lowest subjective distortion. There's a quite old patent by Bob Orban that knocks out the lower sidebands (as these tend to be more audible) and take advantage of psychoacoustic masking of the higher sidebands.
So this is more interesting, thanks for elaborating. Do you know which limiters implement either Izotope's patent or the older patent by Bob Orban.
The result, in principle, is you get high subjective loudness that sounds 'transparent' in that the listener can't spot obvious differences in sound at equivalent volume. And I guess there's a lot going on in between playing with release profiles and psychoacoustics - only a select few companies have filed patents on this stuff, so I doubt many are going to come forward with details.
So the upshot is that more sophisticated limiters are pushing the envelope using psychoacoustic principles to mask intermodulation products. So this comes down to being able to hear these products at the edge of performance of lower cost limiters that don't employ these principles.

I'll take a look at the patents and some of the source for the JS limiters, but I'm genuinely interested in what precisely the performance difference is when these principles are employed.

It strikes me that the extent to which this is an issue is also a function of material. A two-tone test, for example, is a more stringent test of a system than what one typically encounters with real material. That said, I don't really have any intuition about what kinds of material might leverage this more than others.

So, again, I want to know which limiters are state of the art. Obviously this rules out those tools that are expensive just because they model certain hardware or are being sold for character, just those whose goal is to be as effective as possible at raising the average loudness transparently.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Limiter 6 can not preserve low frequency transients even with a db of gain reduction, it changes them.. even though overall it's a decent plugin, i can not recommend it for limiting EDM particularly.

I won't read the whole topic cause for me the best budget limiter is simply barricade pro.. i suggest go to that, do not stop at go, do not collect $200. go straight to toneboosters.com

TheoM wrote:Limiter 6 can not preserve low frequency transients even with a db of gain reduction, it changes them.. even though overall it's a decent plugin, i can not recommend it for limiting EDM particularly.

I won't read the whole topic cause for me the best budget limiter is simply barricade pro.. i suggest go to that, do not stop at go, do not collect $200. go straight to toneboosters.com
Thanks Theo, is there a difference between Bariccade "Pro" and CM with respect to the audio processing?

I thought the sidechain shaping in Limitless is pretty nice. It goes from loud annoying infomercial to breakbeat/dubstep effortlessly.

ghettosynth wrote:
TheoM wrote:Limiter 6 can not preserve low frequency transients even with a db of gain reduction, it changes them.. even though overall it's a decent plugin, i can not recommend it for limiting EDM particularly.

Thanks Theo, is there a difference between Bariccade "Pro" and CM with respect to the audio processing?

absolutely no idea.. i have never used a CM plugin, although being subscribed to the ipad version for a year, i believe i am actually allowed to get the plugins but i never have :oops: :lol: don't even know where to look (double oops :oops:)

Geez i just checked GUIs the paid version only seems to have one extra parameter, i would go on a limb and say the limiting algorithm would be the same, i doubt he would come up with an all new limiting algorithm for CM.

TheoM wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

absolutely no idea.. i have never used a CM plugin, although being subscribed to the ipad version for a year, i believe i am actually allowed to get the plugins but i never have :oops: :lol: don't even know where to look (double oops :oops:)

Geez i just checked GUIs the paid version only seems to have one extra parameter, i would go on a limb and say the limiting algorithm would be the same, i doubt he would come up with an all new limiting algorithm for CM.
Ok, I suppose I could have done that as well. In any case, it's not like they're hard to compare because ToneBoosters probably has the best demo in the industry. I already have the standard version install, I'll install CM and then decide if I think parting with $20 is necessary.

No Multiband (what does that do?) and no Look-ahead control on the CM version. It probably has them, they're just fixed?

ok just searched and found it in the manual:
4.4 Multiband
Barricade features a fully automatic multiband limiting algorithm. Opposed to wide-band envelope limiting, this stage processes individual frequency components. For many types of content, a certain amount of multiband limiting will result in more transparent limiter behavior in situations of very high signal levels, or extreme limiting. Setting the control to 0 will switch off the multiband limiter. The amount of multiband limiting is visualized in the limiter gain VU meters. In most cases, the signal attenuation as a result of multiband limiting will not exceed 6-8 dB to ensure that the timbre of the audio content is not changed significantly.

So it's a cool feature. My version installed here is pre multiband.. wow that's how long it's been since i updated it.

Also, the look ahead IS important because it really helps the USER get the perfect compromise between loudness, distortion, and pumping.

I think for 20 euros to go from CM to full version and support such an amazing dev is a no brainer for anyone really. But if you are broke and HAPPY with the cm version, by all means, enjoy it!

TheoM wrote: I think for 20 euros to go from CM to full version and support such an amazing dev is a no brainer for anyone really. But if you are broke and HAPPY with the cm version, by all means, enjoy it!
No doubt, $20 really won't break the bank. But, if I can't hear the difference, it's just a waste of $20. I don't mind spending $20, but I hate wasting $20, does that make sense?

ghettosynth wrote:
TheoM wrote: I think for 20 euros to go from CM to full version and support such an amazing dev is a no brainer for anyone really. But if you are broke and HAPPY with the cm version, by all means, enjoy it!
No doubt, $20 really won't break the bank. But, if I can't hear the difference, it's just a waste of $20. I don't mind spending $20, but I hate wasting $20, does that make sense?

yes. I get that. But sometimes it's nice to just donate to someone like toneboosters. That said they seem to have a lot of amazing plugs, all the same price, so perhaps you will find something there you can't live without. I really like his new bus compressor, that's really quite something.

I think the only way to see if there is a big enough difference on your own music, is dl the fully functional barricade demo, try it on some unmastered tracks of yours vs the cm and much about with multiband and look ahead and see if it makes a big enough difference in a positive way, for maximising *your* music. :)

TheoM wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

yes. I get that. But sometimes it's nice to just donate to someone like toneboosters. That said they seem to have a lot of amazing plugs, all the same price, so perhaps you will find something there you can't live without. I really like his new bus compressor, that's really quite something.
Yes, I'm kind of building a list. I could just buy everything, but I'm trying to be very disciplined about not spending money on plugins that I won't use. I already have his demos installed, I really like the premium tape emulator so I'm probably going to grab that and the track tools.
I think the only way to see if there is a big enough difference on your own music, is dl the fully functional barricade demo, try it on some unmastered tracks of yours vs the cm and much about with multiband and look ahead and see if it makes a big enough difference in a positive way, for maximising *your* music. :)
Of course, that's in fact what triggered this thread, I'm trying to decide if there are any tools in my kit that really deserve more attention. The TB stuff as been installed since I went EQ shopping a few months ago.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have double squashed electronic kicks with limiter no 6 (once on the kick track itself and again on the master mix) and never noticed anything untoward. Admittedly they were my own kick presets made with Walfdorf Attack (LE), Saltline Korzenie Kick etc. so I didn't have anything particular in mind for them except for going doof doof really hard :hihi:

I will keep a listen out next time I use it though.

I have my eye on the TB "Essentials" too - that looks like serious value for money. Currently demo'ing a bunch of Tonebooster stuff. Silly me I have a few Computer Music issues so I'm eligible to download the Barricade CM version. Comparing them side by side is a good suggestion - just to see if it's worth putting $20 down on the Pro version. It is indeed an affordable price but it is also money wasted if the CM version sounds 99% identical. I agree look-ahead is essential for good limiting - and the multi-band feature is nice icing :) I'm tempted to just get Barricade Pro and then never bother with limiter GAS again!

provoc wrote:
I have double squashed electronic kicks with limiter no 6 (once on the kick track itself and again on the master mix) and never noticed anything untoward. Admittedly they were my own kick presets made with Walfdorf Attack (LE), Saltline Korzenie Kick etc. so I didn't have anything particular in mind for them except for going doof doof really hard :hihi:

hmm i have tried and tried.. maybe it's my ear but i just can't get a kick the same once limiting takes place. The ONLY limiter i can do it with is ozone 7 vintage tube mode limiter.. NOT any other limiter i tried nor any other ozone 7 limiter, even not with mode 4! So it's NOT just Limiter 6.. i should have been clearer on that.. and i am talking about those really "punchy" medium click kicks. But i don't really like the compresor part of L6 and the limiter seems to sort of get funky with drums for me at low to medium limiting. It starts sounding mushed. I hope i am explaining that right.

I am starting to experiment with putting the kick to one output bus with one limiter, and the entire rest of the song on another bus with another limiter with totally different settings.. ozone vintage for kick and ozone mode 4 for rest. I will see how I go.

TheoM wrote:
provoc wrote:

hmm i have tried and tried.. maybe it's my ear but i just can't get a kick the same once limiting takes place. The ONLY limiter i can do it with is ozone 7 vintage tube mode limiter.. NOT any other limiter i tried nor any other ozone 7 limiter, even not with mode 4! So it's NOT just Limiter 6.. i should have been clearer on that.. and i am talking about those really "punchy" medium click kicks. But i don't really like the compresor part of L6 and the limiter seems to sort of get funky with drums for me at low to medium limiting. It starts sounding mushed. I hope i am explaining that right.

I am starting to experiment with putting the kick to one output bus with one limiter, and the entire rest of the song on another bus with another limiter with totally different settings.. ozone vintage for kick and ozone mode 4 for rest. I will see how I go.
Sounds like you are going for a very specific sound and if Ozone is doing what you need then you might as well stick with it :phones:

That said, another option could be to use the limiter as part of the sound design process rather than treating it as a separate step. “Owen the geek” wrote about mixing into a Limiter in one of his recent Computer Music mag columns (using Limiter no 6 in the specific example). Apparently this is a trend among the emerging semi-pro bedroom producers.

Seems reasonable enough to me, especially since as a hobbyist I am just playing with my own stuff rather than recording/tracking in a live room before sending to mixing and mastering engineers to do the rest :)

Anyway here is an example of something I did using Limiter no 6 so that you can decide for yourself whether you should completely ignore my opinion :oops: That said, regardless of its artistic (or attempted political) merits, it is pretty loud and gives the sub in the car a good workout (4-5 dynamic range on bx meter ($9 :tu:)). The 44.1/24bit flac is available for download.
https://soundcloud.com/casrya/globaliza ... inal-track

Return to “Effects”