Why Are Sonnox Plugins So Expensive?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Because the quality is subjetive.

The Roland TB303 was released to provide an automatic bass for guitar players, and it was horrible for that until someone started to abuse the fact it sound too electronic to create techno. Then the quality was incredoble.

So, if someone see a crazy expensive plugin that doesnt sound bad, they automatically think that sound is better. And if you dont own that plugin... then some gas added which doesnt help.

a217152 wrote:This is intentional, to filter out the noobs.

They're still in business after so many years, guess why!
interesting...

...an at another level it looks a sane situation IMO, in where the only market's law doesn't always rule the virtual world

good thing that they are a few effects or instruments that are clearly dedicated to the insiders than might do their best and with a real professional level in the feedback user !

At least it is a few company that can handle such policy...

I would ask in Swiss if I knew the language lol cause I have no clue what the last post is supposed to mean.

AC222 wrote:I would ask in Swiss if I knew the language lol cause I have no clue what the last post is supposed to mean.
:oops:
I just meant that there's some good to have a specific area for pure professional , even if it consequently Sonnox plugin for instance, are expensive in regard to the overall price range of similar products

BTW there's no specific Swiss language : german , french, italian in order of importance....(and i'm french based)

If you don't know the answer to that question, don't buy them.

The dynamics channel and the reverb are excellent. Both take minutes to get a great sound.

Krakatau wrote:
BTW there's no specific Swiss language : german , french, italian in order of importance....(and i'm french based)
Yes? Just These three? Are you sure of it?

There is actually one Switzerland-only language (or actually even a family of languages). ;-)

As a side-note the Romands (natively French speaking Swiss) are famous for not speaking anything besides French (just as the French - so no surprise there) so Kratakau's language abilities already supercede those of his average neighbour.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Paul Frindle.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

antithesist wrote:Paul Frindle.

No i think Paul is hip to general market plug in pricing these days.

The prices are high purely because of how sonnox is being run *now* and *who* owns it *now*.

if you noticed, Paul's own plugin which was first $349, now is sold through alliance and has been as low as mid 60's (79 on sale then lower from reseller). If Paul was too worried about pricing, he wouldn't have joined with the one developer known for slashing prices and the word 'sale' pretty much being their entire ethos - moreso than any other dev (well maybe apart from waves, they are probably tied). Unlike Waves though, alliance has fees on even the cheapest single plugin transfers, so their resale is more or less zero these days. This could have been an intentional move from Paul to limit resale of dynamic spectrum mapper, but still, once again, he DID choose a bargain basement company to link with.

His genius... but yeah, I get what you're saying.

We have the Native Elite Bundle for the Sony Oxford console heritage, pro studio compatibility, Frindle quality and coolness.

I wish we needed their restoration suite to balance the deal out some, since the update and price-slash... around 300 USD as a deal last AES, as I recall.

We have more in it, but the native elite goes nice sale/ group buy at least once a year.

I think we got v4 for 600 USD in the first DC GB a few years back and upgraded to v5 for 15 or 25 GBP a plug-in.

Their transfer thing is more of crime than the initial prices, though.
WEASEL: World Electro-Acoustic Sound Excitation Laboratories

jens wrote:There is actually one Switzerland-only language (or actually even a family of languages). ;-)
Rumantsch, aka Rhaeto-Romance, spoken in one or maybe two cantons I think.

Useful information I can't remember. Stuff like this stays rattling around in my head forever.

I think you find compressors, limiters, etc in general tend to be more expensive because that is, I guess, the realm of pro audio - who can afford to spend $300 on single plugins.

From a musicians standpoint, traditionally you finish your track and then you "send it away" to be mixed and/or mastered by studio professionals - you typically don't or shouldn't master (or even mix) yourself unless you know exactly what you're doing.

I say "traditionally" because there are always exceptions and times are changing - there are even websites now that spit "mastered" tracks back at you for a small fee.

For myself and others who just do this as a bedroom hobby, maybe a little money in licensing here and there, the odd bandcamp sale plus the occasional gig... There are plugin options that suit our requirements for much cheaper.

There are some great examples... like this one: Reviver plugin from Fielding DSP:
It's been a while since the last update of Reviver, our acclaimed harmonic distortion plugin - mostly because it just works. Today, however, we are happy to announce two major upgrades:

Reviver is now 64bit compatible!
Even better: Starting today, you can buy Reviver for only $29 instead of $199.

When we first started Reviver, our customers were mostly professional producers or engineers. With the prices of DAWs and other plug-ins dropping rapidly, however, professional tools have become accessible to semi-professionals and hobbyists. We think this is a great development allowing a whole new range of musicians and producers to take part in this creative process.

We believe that the future of music production will allow anyone with talent, regardless of their budget, to make good music and be successful. For this to happen, high-quality tools need to drop in price. Fielding DSP is taking a first step in this direction by radically dropping the price on its flagship product Reviver.
Maybe Sonnox should get with the times? :P

Meffy wrote:
jens wrote:There is actually one Switzerland-only language (or actually even a family of languages). ;-)

Useful information I can't remember. Stuff like this stays rattling around in my head forever.
In one canton in fact, somewhere in a few valleys of deep Switzerland
i didn't mentioned but i was mistaken since it's indeed an official language in the country...

Meffy wrote:

Yes, indeed - while it's only spoken in one Canton (Grisons/Graubünden), it is/they are one of the four official national languages in the federal state of Switzerland.

I think it is a fascinating language - it derrived from the "primitive" spoken Latin in valleys that are enclosed within the Alps. For centuries, they had little contact with the outside world.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I really like their Oxford Reverb, especially for Pianoteq. It just has that Oxford EQ touch as a unique signature to it's sound. Not many reverb has that kind of high quality and musical EQ. It has certain transparency and subtle airiness and smooth tail which I can't get elsewhere. B2 can get closer, but just not the same. They are celebrating their 10th anniversary and everything are for sale 50% until June 15th.
Last edited by crystalmsc on Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Since some resurrected this thread, I'll comment on the subject that I started. I like the GUI and design of the Sonnox plugins but feel they are severely overpriced whether on a megasale or not. The eq I don't think has as much depth as some of the top notch eqs now and the dynamics processors all have a "hard" sound to them. They really squeeze the life out of the transients and I mean that on both the limiter I bought from them to the Inflator. The inflator to me is some kind of gimmick wave shaper and really makes the everything sound "edgy and hard" and the dynamics are squashed too much.

Now the restoration suite looks pretty interesting and I checked out a few things on that front. But they don't sound as good as the RX Restoration Suite from Izotope that is much, much cheaper.

My conclusion after opening this thread is that the reason these plugins are priced so high is that the company is out of touch. Maybe they have to keep these prices artificially high because they owe a royalty to Mr. Frindle but in 2017 I don't these plugs stack up. They can very well exist and charge whatever they want, but the quality in my opinion does not warrant the price.

Return to “Effects”