GM MIDI standard for drums

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Do you use GM MIDI standard drum mapping whe composing?

Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes: 20

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Do you still use it?

I'd like to know if people are still using this standard as it will have an influence on the drum mapping of my future drum machines.

I have the impression that "techno" producers don't mind at all and more traditional musician still use it but I might be wrong.

it's neither full yes or no. For MIDI notes 35-50, most of GM drum map applies for me. I like 39 (D#) drag w. 40 rimshot (electric snare??). Beyond that, I tend to have more hihat articulation and cymbals than will fit, and don't notice or recall most of it. I use that much of it as BFD defaults to expected kick/snare/hat/basic toms. I think it looks like a whole lotta junk was crammed in there, that I don't even think of as a drums part at all.

duped thru KVR advisement to review post because another user (me) had just posted. :idiot:

jancivil wrote:it's neither full yes or no. For MIDI notes 35-50, most of GM drum map applies for me. I like 39 (D#) drag w. 40 rimshot (electric snare??). Beyond that, I tend to have more hihat articulation and cymbals than will fit, and don't notice or recall most of it. I use that much of it as BFD defaults to expected kick/snare/hat/basic toms. I think it looks like a whole lotta junk was crammed in there, that I don't even think of as a drums part at all.
Thanks for your feedback. There's hardly any information on the subject on the internet, I always had the impression that the younger producers didn't care at all for GM, but who knows!

I'm bumping this thread as I'd like a bit more vote.

I wouldn't mind a new GM Midi standard, like Jan Civil says the bottom end works fairly well, but stuff on the top just seems weird. A new version with more room for the hats and cymbals would be great. Still it seems like the best option available right now.

I bet a lot of people don't even know they are using GM standard. Like, they use Ableton Live Drum Racks, but don't know it is GM. Or just click and guess what key makes what sound in a drum VST.

Return to “Instruments”