Roland System-100 Released as Plug Out

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jax Pok wrote:Just demoed it sounds great but nothing to make me part with cash when I already have DIVA and ACE. The GUI is too small If I make it bigger it goes all blurry and looks like 1990s graphics. If Urs made this I would poke him in the eye.
That's what I was thinking too. Sounds great, but it's fooking expensive. The S100 is the most expensive one so far. It has some great low end but nothing that you couldn't match with a decent synth with a bit of a decent fx chain.

Diva is it's own thing and sounds great anyway. Add some Steve Slate console emulation to her and bam.

Re the interfaces. I don't mind them so much because they are supposed to just emulate the hardware. What does piss me off, is that they are blurry and get worse as they increase. That's unacceptable in this day and age.
andy4trance wrote:Is there a way to make/play these polyphonic?
Nope. They are just emulations of the original hardware (good ones to be fair). However, the System 1's own synth is polyphonic - well that is to say it has four voices. So is the vst version. It sounds fantastic, but the cpu is unreal.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Numanoid wrote:GUI looks like a rush job, waiting for the Flavours of Lime work over:

Wouldn't be a vintage plugin if it was optimized for high DPI.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was wondering if someone might point me to some more experimental and aggressive sounding demos of the plug out. I'm actually after the sound of one of it's oscillators modulating the filter cutoff at an octave down from the other. The System 1m does this really well, though not as beefy as I like but from what I've heard I think the 100 can do it but I let my demo expire.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

i just pulled up my expired demo the other night and realized that while the horrible noise bursts are very frequent, you can still get a decent idea of what it can do in between. also, no noise unless you have a note held. made me realize that even though the price is f'ing outrageous (do they ever have sales? can't remember if i've seen one) i still really want to shell out for this thing. even with Reaktor 6, there's something about this that i love. the SH-101 as well, it just sounds so good. the ProMars is a bit hard to justify, that's an odd one with its identical oscillators. i bought the SH-2, love that one but would probably have gone with the 100 if it were available at the time.

i'm not sure why you'd bother with it though, we'd just have to listen to you complain all the time about its quirks and shortcomings. :wink:

Tried this out and my immediate thoughts were that It was cool, made nice sounds but it was'nt for me. I'd rather save up a little bit more and then spend the money they want for this on another plugin.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:borg:

jbuonacc wrote:i just pulled up my expired demo the other night and realized that while the horrible noise bursts are very frequent, you can still get a decent idea of what it can do in between. also, no noise unless you have a note held. made me realize that even though the price is f'ing outrageous (do they ever have sales? can't remember if i've seen one) i still really want to shell out for this thing. even with Reaktor 6, there's something about this that i love. the SH-101 as well, it just sounds so good. the ProMars is a bit hard to justify, that's an odd one with its identical oscillators. i bought the SH-2, love that one but would probably have gone with the 100 if it were available at the time.

i'm not sure why you'd bother with it though, we'd just have to listen to you complain all the time about its quirks and shortcomings. :wink:
I love complaining though. It's the closest I come to a team sport. I love the part where I complain about the same things over and over again and then you complain about my complaining and then I make a snarky remark about your snarky remark and that's how that dance goes. We're like a snake and a mongoose biting each other. Neither can let go for fear that the other might not die. :hihi:

I'm aware of it's limitations though. Not over the moon about it, but I've started to accept that I'm some throwback from a time when progress was considered good in instruments. I don't intend on using the System 100 as a plug in, but as a plug out within a System 1m. I had an idea of how one of these could be used in a very cool way within my studio in conjunction with my Analog Four. I probably wouldn't be playing it like I do other synths but more sequencing it with some generative music apps and the Analog Four. The System 1m on it's own actually sounds quite good to me, but a little too "digital perfect." I'm thinking the System 100 plug out could add more of another flavor to make it worth while.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

[dupe]
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was wondering if someone might point me to some more experimental and aggressive sounding demos of the plug out. I'm actually after the sound of one of it's oscillators modulating the filter cutoff at an octave down from the other.
Well, i can offer this. Its the filter only, modulated by a S&H/LFO crossmoddish setup. Pretty solid i have to say, plus it doesnt have that ear-piercing 'synthetic' character to it that certain other new-generation filters usually have.

First half dry, second half with onboard FX. (All of them.) The other plugouts never really turned me on, but this one i have to say is different. If it werent so limited AND monophonic it would have been tempting, despite the fact that i dont really need anything else...

My sound demo video is now online ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkgbTcnudSA
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

MillerSam wrote:My sound demo video is now online ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkgbTcnudSA
Thanks for this. I think it's got me thinking in a different direction. I was thinking of getting a 1m but now I might just buy the software and see how that does and if I dig it maybe later getting the 1m. I know I'll be out the 1m owner discount but I'd rather not have the hardware around if I can avoid it.
Zerocrossing Media

So, I picked it up. I was able to get it going on my Mac long enough to get a decent demo. I do feel it's a step above Diva in some respects and the CPU cycles are worth it. If you listen to Diva doing filter fm it kind of sounds a bit dead where 100 seems harmonically rich and organic. It rivals my Neptune II.

One question though. I demoed it on a Mac and I was surprised to find aftertouch was hard wired to filter cutoff. Now I'm on a PC and it doesn't work. Is this a known issue?
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:So, I picked it up. I was able to get it going on my Mac long enough to get a decent demo. I do feel it's a step above Diva in some respects and the CPU cycles are worth it. If you listen to Diva doing filter fm it kind of sounds a bit dead where 100 seems harmonically rich and organic. It rivals my Neptune II.

One question though. I demoed it on a Mac and I was surprised to find aftertouch was hard wired to filter cutoff. Now I'm on a PC and it doesn't work. Is this a known issue?
What kind of cpu hit are you getting? I have 2 reservations for this plugin. 1. I can't resell it if I ever wanted to. 2. I'm hesitant because of the cpu hit.

Though I do have Diva too, but that has multithreading support.

stikygum wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:So, I picked it up. I was able to get it going on my Mac long enough to get a decent demo. I do feel it's a step above Diva in some respects and the CPU cycles are worth it. If you listen to Diva doing filter fm it kind of sounds a bit dead where 100 seems harmonically rich and organic. It rivals my Neptune II.

What kind of cpu hit are you getting? I have 2 reservations for this plugin. 1. I can't resell it if I ever wanted to. 2. I'm hesitant because of the cpu hit.

Though I do have Diva too, but that has multithreading support.
I'll have a look later and report back.
Zerocrossing Media

stikygum wrote: I can't resell it if I ever wanted to.
Roland really need to clarify their position on this. If you download the trial you have to accept terms which include. "you may permanently transfer the SOFTWARE and accompanying printed materials provided you retain no copies of the Software and recipient agrees to the terms of this License Agreement."

That said, the Roland store support (in Japan) claim there's no way to transfer a licence.

As a workaround it does seem there is nothing from stopping anyone transferring a Roland account. All personal details in the account can be changed...just like with Korg.

Hmm... System 1 sounds great and it's polyphonic but the plugin GUI is crap.
It seems it's a bit the same with the System 100 but it*s monophonic?

Btw. is the system 1 controller useful for controlling the System 100 plugin or does it need the system 1m controller?

Return to “Instruments”