Which synth is best for synth punk?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

GaryG wrote:Plenty of bands had the sound and attitude before '76, just look at obvious examples like MC5 or The Stooges, something like 'I Wanna Be Your Dog' couldn't be more punk.
My choice would be Glitter Band - Leader of the gang

And there is always The Troggs' Wild Thing, and that Screamin' Lord Sutch sounds like he inspired Dave Vanian's vocal styling

Numanoid wrote:
Robmobius wrote:That's a negative.... The Sex Pistols did all that, as well as establishing the movement. They had an immense impact when they went over to the U.S.
No doubt that Sex Pistols helped break punk into the mainstream, but there is no denying that Ramones where there first. And don't forget that The Damned released New Rose before Anarchy in the UK, so they also helped getting consumers used to the sound

Hardcore The Damned fans may even call Sex Pistols bandwagon jumpers, or Johnny Come Lately's :D

Ramones (April 23, 1976)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramones_%28album%29

New Rose (October 22, 1976)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Rose

Anarchy in the UK (November 26, 1976)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchy_in_the_U.K
It's not about the releases tho'. The Sex Pistols were gigging away, and already building the up the brand - they were so controversial at the time, that everyone was dying to see them.

Punk is the invention of Malcolm McClarren (who was a right tosser btw). But everyone jumped on the band wagon including 'the Ramones' and the Damned. Although I see the Damned as one of the early pioneers. Unlike the Ramones who played pop songs.

UK82!! FTW.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Billy Currie of Ultravox, and Dave Greenfield of The Stranglers

They played synth in punk* bands, so they must be synth punkers :phones:

(Ha! Ha! Ha! is most def a punk album to my ears)

Hey guys,

Thank you all for your feedback. I've got quite a few YouTube videos to watch this evening :D and synths to look into.

I found a couple tutorials on serum that really clicked with me. I find massive to be a bit cluttered and less user friendly so I'm going to stick with serum now.

I'm actually interested in possibly picking up a couple hardware synths so I've going to look into all the recommendations.

I think these days synth punk and pop punk are used interchangeably. But I agree a lot of that music is more pop punk then true synth punk. I'm honestly not sure how the offspring wound up on that playlist... Lol

I can't play guitar anymore do to a physical condition but I can still play keys so I'm just trying to find my place in music again haha. Synth punk was always an interesting concept to me so I figured I'd experiment with it a bit.

Thanks again for all the feedback I'm going to read thru it better when I have some free time tonight,
Kevin

P.s. That playlist is all 'modern' 'synth punk' using both terms loosely lol
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

Robmobius wrote:Depends on your definition of worth...
don't give me that "definition of worth" shit, all those genres are absolutely huge all over the world, whether you like them or not.
They didn't invent Punk btw that was the Brits.
god no. as was said, it all came from bands like The Stooges, MC5, New York Dolls, trashy garage rock bands, etc... pretty much all of this (and jazz) came directly from blues, which was purely American. all of these bands were playing USA made guitars and amps, and it could be said that the synth revolution started here as well. don't try to re-write history based on your limited viewpoint.

Numanoid wrote:
ras.s wrote:"The Exploited - No synths tho. :P
+1 for F*ck The USA :phones:
+2 here 8)

jbuonacc wrote:
Robmobius wrote:Depends on your definition of worth...
don't give me that "definition of worth" shit, all those genres are absolutely huge all over the world, whether you like them or not.
How is that important to me? It’s mostly all sludge as far as I’m concerned. And I don’t care anything about its worth.

It’s simply worthless to me, regardless how ‘big’ or widespread it is. It's obvious now that you don't understand the meaning of Punk. So all I say is you're talking bollocks. :party:
jbuonacc wrote:god no. as was said, it all came from bands like The Stooges, MC5, New York Dolls, trashy garage rock bands, etc...
God yes...The Brits invented Punk as we know it. Only their 'roots' came from bands like, The Stooges, NY Dolls, etc. However they were certainly not Punk bands by any means - But they did influence the genre's beginnings (everybody knows that). :lol:

It's what that fool Malcolm did when he came back from the US - that's what is more important. :roll:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:How is that important to me? It’s mostly all sludge as far as I’m concerned. And I don’t care anything about its worth. ... It’s simply worthless to me, regardless how ‘big’ or widespread it is.
its "worth" is that everything that we listen to these days came directly from all this "sludge". how you don't see that or place any "value" on it is beyond me. seems to be "worth" quite a bit actually.
God yes...The Brits invented Punk as we know it. Only their 'roots' came from bands like, The Stooges, NY Dolls, etc. ... It's what that fool Malcolm did when he came back from the US - that's what is more important. :roll:
exactly what i said. took from what already existed and went with it and expanded upon it. without those bands, there would be no "british punk". Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, and a ton of others did a great job of this as well. same with Acid House, which probably would have died a quick and silent death here.

Britain is historically where so many genres evolved and became as we know them today - but a lot of the time the impetus came from somewhere else. So you're both right. Punk came from the US, went to Britain, and came back to the US with a lot added to it. Similarly to blues, house, hip hop, etc. Often times it takes white Europeans to show us yanks the value of our own alternative art forms.

nineofkings wrote:Often times it takes white Europeans to show us yanks the value of our own alternative art forms.
Yes, well put. Let's just leave it at that. :hihi:

Though.. didn't most of us yanks originate in Europe anyway?

nineofkings wrote:Britain is historically where so many genres evolved and became as we know them today - but a lot of the time the impetus came from somewhere else. So you're both right. Punk came from the US, went to Britain, and came back to the US with a lot added to it. Similarly to blues, house, hip hop, etc. Often times it takes white Europeans to show us yanks the value of our own alternative art forms.
Well at least it happened... It would have come about one way or the other. But I doubt it would have been a better or bigger influence. :)
jbuonacc wrote: exactly what i said.
No you didn't say that... But we are actually on the same page. In no terms would I say (or did say) that Punk wasn't influenced by the US. But the Brits made Punk what it was in the 70's. Johnny Rotten inspired that generation. I don't even know why I'm talking about this as it's so off topic.
jbuonacc wrote: its "worth" is that everything that we listen to these days came directly from all this "sludge". how you don't see that or place any "value" on it is beyond me. seems to be "worth" quite a bit actually.
You should note that I actually said 'mostly' sludge. To go into the minutia of what I like or respect would be wasted time. It’s probably safe to say that I hate everything you listen to. Just because its you… :party:

nineofkings wrote:Britain is historically where so many genres evolved and became as we know them today - but a lot of the time the impetus came from somewhere else. So you're both right. Punk came from the US, went to Britain, and came back to the US with a lot added to it. Similarly to blues, house, hip hop, etc. Often times it takes white Europeans to show us yanks the value of our own alternative art forms.
right on... but hip-hop? uhh, no way. anyone from outside the US trying to do (legit) hip-hop looks and sounds like a complete idiot. of course there's guys like Autechre that took their hip-hop influence and went to the moon with it, and the whole trip-hop thing, but real style hip-hop? lol, no.

Robmobius wrote:... It’s probably safe to say that I hate everything you listen to. Just because its you… :party:
total wanker. piss off.

jbuonacc wrote: right on... but hip-hop? uhh, no way. anyone from outside the US trying to do (legit) hip-hop looks and sounds like a complete idiot.
Nah. Listened to some great French and Spanish stuff over the years (along with the 98+% of decent stuff that, of course, came from the US). Hop hop and rap are not somehow exempt from musical progression.

cool, got any youtube links?

Return to “Instruments”