Put a Limiter Plugin on Input?

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am using an external limiter to control spikes when tracking acoustic guitar.

Wish I could drag a plugin to the input...it sure would be intuitive and logical and in keeping with the left-to-right workflow paradigm. After all, that's why I like Tracktion!

I think there might be a way to do this with end to end (I think?) I can only find references to tracking/monitoring reverb wet or dry.

Perhaps I am overlooking something...everything else is so nice and obvious in T6

Any thoughts or opinions on how this can currently be done? Or,if it does not exist, do you think this would be a useful feature?
Sworkshop

"The tide of amateurism cannot but recede, until there will be left only the mechanical device and the professional executant." - John Philip Sousa, 1906

I assume you mean volume spikes. If it's clipping, you maybe should turn the input gain down.

You could record the guitar, stick the limiter on the track, then render the track to audio. Or direct its output to another track and record it. Having the limiter act on the unprocessed audio (i.e: at the right-hand end) gives you more options for adjusting the settings or changing your mind.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

sworkshop wrote:Perhaps I am overlooking something...
There is simply no need to record a clipping signal.

frankvg wrote:
sworkshop wrote:Perhaps I am overlooking something...
There is simply no need to record a clipping signal.
... and if you have there is no way of un-clipping it. The DAW cannot insert a limiter before the ADC. Once in the digital domain it's too late.

It's clipped already in the hardware, before it even gets to the software. You need a hardware limiter between your device and your audio interface, if the spikes aren't manageable by turning volume down.
"my gosh it's a friggin hardware"

This is a image of my mic setup using a 6I6 interface works great no latency issues and I have all the tools to get the audio right before I record but I never clip my signal during the recording you can use the Gate to kill floor noise and the Eq, compressor and clipper are for me to shape the sound to match my mix or song that I am recording into hope this help.

http://layitproductions.com/wp-content/ ... -setup.png

You are already doing it right to use an external hardware limiter!

You cannot keep a signal from clipping with software, because everything software is after the analogue to digital conversion.

When recording in 24bit, there is also no need to have a totally hot signal. Most converters are good enough to have your peaks around halfway to 2/3rds up on the levelmeter.
With 16 bit recording, however you want all the hot signal you can get.

Also there is no need whatsoever to record through a plug-in. You can (should) do all FX later. It neither saves you time nor is there any real advantage to it. If you want FX on an input recording, us a send channel to a different track and apply them there. That's the beauty of a DAW

my 2 cents,
:)

Return to “Tracktion”