Soundcloud could be forced to close after massive losses...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chaosWyrM wrote:
gaf_thit wrote:Yes, it's a bit slick. Focus on up-and-coming artists, how to make it in the industry and so on... but that is no aim for my part. I'm testing it for the collab functions and to check if there'll be something like a community feel, like I felt with classic soundcloud.

Must say, I haven't seen those blurbs, haha. I have an active BS-filter nowadays. Doesn't notice it, just like ads, maybe it register subconsciously, though and that's why I feel aggressive more and more often when online...

Anyway, 500mb with the free account is quite a limiting factor, too.

Must wake my hearthis account from suspended animation, I think.
hehe...i can see the appeal for some people. im just a curmudgeonly old fart. that place looks like its too excited about things for me. me signing up for that site seems like it would be like me dating an 18 year old. i feel i would be constantly rolling my eyes and annoyed.
But there would be moments, just sayin.

:roll:

:hihi:

cron wrote:
sig-ex wrote:
trimph1 wrote:Geesh...the only one alternative I am aware of is Spotify but... :? :shrug:

Are there alternatives?
Youtube? :D Just kidding...

But depending on how hi-fi you have to be, it can be decent enough and there are already a lot of audio related content there anyway (product walkthroughs for example). That might also mean an emergence of slideshows or one frame videos in Youtube. I hope it doesn't get to this.
Youtube's audio quality kicks the arse off Soundcloud's. Maximum possible quality took a fairly significant hit recently when they standardised audio quality across all video sizes (instead of offering much higher quality at 720p and above), and it still kicks the arse off Soundcloud's audio quality.

It's pretty much the de-facto listening platform now. Look at your social media accounts. I bet 90% of the music posts on your feed point to Youtube.

As a content creator the stats are unmatched too. All for free.

I don't see how Soundcloud will ever compete tbh.
Wow, thanks. Didn't realize that. I just assumed that the audio is as it is about a decade back :dog: . Seriously considering youtube then. All those audiences. All for free. And some even make a living out of it. I can even make people stare at terrible MS paint art as my music plays. :clown:

The next thing then is what will the websites that integrate soundcloud do? What will be the new de facto for remotely hosted demo tracks? Youtube is not visually streamlined for this purpose...
Signal Experiments
http://sig-ex.com

After I had been on Hearthis for about 7 months I started receiving mails "encouraging" me to take up a paid account. I think it is 29 Euros per year for the basic model. After all, they still have to pay the bills. It's also worth reading the Ts & Cs carefully too. I'm cool with them, but ymmv.

Has anyone tried blend.io? I did a Live course last year that required us to upload our finished projects there for peer review. Other members can comment on your tracks and even pull the projects/stems if you choose. For people interested in collaboration etc it could be quite cool. It's free, the layout is clean and I haven't been asked to pay anything since I joined just over a year ago. You add your projects via a Dropbox "app".

seismic1 wrote:After I had been on Hearthis for about 7 months I started receiving mails "encouraging" me to take up a paid account. I think it is 29 Euros per year for the basic model. After all, they still have to pay the bills. It's also worth reading the Ts & Cs carefully too. I'm cool with them, but ymmv.
Is there something in the T&Cs that stood out particularly.

sig-ex wrote:
cron wrote:
sig-ex wrote:
trimph1 wrote:Geesh...the only one alternative I am aware of is Spotify but... :? :shrug:

Are there alternatives?
Youtube? :D Just kidding...

But depending on how hi-fi you have to be, it can be decent enough and there are already a lot of audio related content there anyway (product walkthroughs for example). That might also mean an emergence of slideshows or one frame videos in Youtube. I hope it doesn't get to this.
Youtube's audio quality kicks the arse off Soundcloud's. Maximum possible quality took a fairly significant hit recently when they standardised audio quality across all video sizes (instead of offering much higher quality at 720p and above), and it still kicks the arse off Soundcloud's audio quality.

It's pretty much the de-facto listening platform now. Look at your social media accounts. I bet 90% of the music posts on your feed point to Youtube.

As a content creator the stats are unmatched too. All for free.

I don't see how Soundcloud will ever compete tbh.
Wow, thanks. Didn't realize that. I just assumed that the audio is as it is about a decade back :dog: . Seriously considering youtube then. All those audiences. All for free. And some even make a living out of it. I can even make people stare at terrible MS paint art as my music plays. :clown:

The next thing then is what will the websites that integrate soundcloud do? What will be the new de facto for remotely hosted demo tracks? Youtube is not visually streamlined for this purpose...
I'd like to know that as well, really. As for the MS paint idea, IIRC there were some pretty weird videos that some artist did awhile ago...got to dig that one out.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Isn't soundcloud higher quality than YouTube? Soundcloud also gives you ORIGINAL downloads (i.e. download original file) which YouTube doesn't have.

Also YouTube has also stopped integrating with facebook. Now all their links need to visit the website to be able to play.

keyman_sam wrote: Also YouTube has also stopped integrating with facebook. Now all their links need to visit the website to be able to play.
Everyone wants to be "the" network.

keyman_sam wrote: Also YouTube has also stopped integrating with facebook. Now all their links need to visit the website to be able to play.
that is incorrect.
ImageImageImage

keyman_sam wrote:Isn't soundcloud higher quality than YouTube? Soundcloud also gives you ORIGINAL downloads (i.e. download original file) which YouTube doesn't have.

Also YouTube has also stopped integrating with facebook. Now all their links need to visit the website to be able to play.
I've done my homework after cron's reply to me. Youtube supposedly can use 155-165 kbps Opus. Soundcloud converts to 128Kbps mp3, which I also verified when I download my tracks. Youtube may not be designed for original downloads, but I'll be fine just putting 3rd party links in the description. :wink:
Signal Experiments
http://sig-ex.com

This is good news. First you make people addicted and then you'll let 'em pay :)
That's about the point I had in mind when I started with audio production. Big bucks :love:

chaosWyrM wrote:
that is incorrect.
Err... Last time I tried no matter what it wouldn't embed. Just shows the YouTube logo which takes you to YouTube site.

keyman_sam wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:
that is incorrect.
Err... Last time I tried no matter what it wouldn't embed. Just shows the YouTube logo which takes you to YouTube site.
YT links work just fine on my facebook.

Soundclick, anyone? :help:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”