New Logic Pro X update available

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TheoM wrote:yes i can't believe i never knew about these before.. what a great community service! a must read :)
Not quite a community service but a smart, fair way of advertising his longer commercial titles. The free ebooks are excerpts from the for-pay ones, IIRC.

Oh wow, I just created a project to try and max out the CPU to get a feel for the improvements in load balancing...

On my 27" iMac (Late 2013 i7), with the internal audio at 128 Samples buffer, I'm able to open
- 4x6 instances of Logic Drummer,
- process each of the tracks with 7 instances of Ohmicide (= 168x Ohmicide),
- process each of the 4 sub groups with Waves Scheps73, NI Vari Comp and Klanghelm SDRR,
- have the Logic Meter and Mixer open to see the refresh rate of the GUI..

And I can still play about 8 voices of a U-He Diva pad in Great quality before the GUI starts lagging.

All cores except one are near 100% load, Activity Manager tells me Logic is taking 490% overall. Logic also uses 12 out of 16 GB RAM this way and the system doesn't break down. This makes me pretty confident that it will hold up under real world conditions nicely from here on out.

I don't have to go back to the previous version to know that this is a vast improvement.

Once I add 4 instances of H-Reverb (CPU load rises to 570%), the loading of new inserts or opening of the GUIs takes noticably longer, but the system overall is still responsive. And no audio dropouts!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Re: the first point about multi-threading

Does this mean that multi-out plugins like Kontakt can now be distributed over multiple cores?

Currently Logic will not or cannot spread any multi out plugins over multiple cores which of course very quickly overloads the engine.

I've been researching and hoping this would soon be fixed.

Activate101 wrote:Re: the first point about multi-threading

Does this mean that multi-out plugins like Kontakt can now be distributed over multiple cores?

Currently Logic will not or cannot spread any multi out plugins over multiple cores which of course very quickly overloads the engine.

I've been researching and hoping this would soon be fixed.

neither can any daw on the planet unless the plugin itself supports that. That's not a fix and never will be, there's nothing broken there. Kontakt DOES have an option for load spreading itself though doesn't it?

It still amazes me so many years later and people blame logic for this. That's what's called per core performance for individual plug in instances and what you have to research when buying your computer...for you it sounds like you need fast single thread performance so you'd probably want a 4ghz chip for sure,

95% or more of plugins in existence today do not have their own multithreading, which is the ONLY way to achieve what you are after.

And even if they do, you will NOT see the load spread amongst logic's core meter, you will just see it reduce on the one core it is showing up in, again, the same as EVERY DAW.. cause they are doing their own multi processing using cpu processes separate from the daw's.

Once again, there is no daw in existence where you can load a plugin where the daw can spread that plugin over multiple threads. It does NOT exist and i don't even think it's technically possible.

You can use kontakt on one channel and then another and logic, again like any other daw, will then put them each on their own thread.

What this release has FIXED is that MULTI OUTPUT synths and *LIVE* record armed channels no longer move processes in that specific signal path over to one "live thread".
Ok I am so confused by this so I apologize in advance. Does that mean that if I am using Kontakt with multiple outs that it will now be spread among multiple cores? Or at least if I have a few Kontakt instances w multiple outs set up that it will at least spread those instances out?

Activate101 wrote:

What this release has FIXED is that MULTI OUTPUT synths and *LIVE* record armed channels no longer move processes in that specific signal path over to one "live thread".
Ok I am so confused by this so I apologize in advance. Does that mean that if I am using Kontakt with multiple outs that it will now be spread among multiple cores? Or at least if I have a few Kontakt instances w multiple outs set up that it will at least spread those instances out?
no worries.

Every separate instance of kontakt will use a core per instance, however i need to check on multi out as there may be some new balancing going on there.

Right now i am having issues with this new mode and have it turned off, cause single fx instances are using whatever cpu they use on 2 cores,when i turn it off it goes back to normal, ie one core.

I think logic is halving performance in some cases and this mode needs to be tweaked a lot more. I read TONS of similar reports on gearslutz about massively reduced *available* cpu overhead when playing back a project using the new mode.

AFAIK for now though it's this:

each kontakt whether stereo or multi will use a core. I will check multi for you to be sure.

open kontakt and enable multi processing in kotakt's preferences and see if that helps overall load too :)

will be back with the definite answers later

Hello Theo!

Just curious if we know how Logic X is gonna handle the multi-out Kontakt instances.

If have Kontakt instances 1, 2, 3, and 4, all of which are multi-output instances will Logic X:

a) continue to route all 4 instances of Kontakt through 1 core or

b) put each individual instance of multi-out Kontakt on it's own core?

Thanks!

sorry i forgot all about this :oops:

the problem at the moment is i actually don't have kontakt installed on this machine.

I will see if i have any other multi output multi timbral stuff installed and test with that, as it should correlate to kontakt also.

Hey no worries man. I think I'm gonna go for it. I will post my own results as well. :-)

I took the plunge and got logic x.

I am pleased to report that it fixed the problem! Multi out Kontakt instances now get their own core.

And Logic X is AWESOME!!!

Alchemy is super cool the look and feel is amazing and I love the workflow.

Very happy I upgraded!!!!

I've been playing around with it a lot lately too and honestly I'm pretty impressed, probably leaving DP behind for it actually. Life moves on...
MacPro 5,1 12core x 3.46ghz-96gb MacOS 12.2 (opencore), X32+AES16e-50

I always think the grass is greener somewhere else, but it never is.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

In this case, I think it actually is. LogicX is spectacular. DP needs a major update and probably won't ever get one, they are too busy selling MOTU hardware.

Dewdman42 wrote:In this case, I think it actually is. LogicX is spectacular. DP needs a major update and probably won't ever get one, they are too busy selling MOTU hardware.
No matter what much nifty functionality makeup they put on the proverbial pig, DP still feels old to me.
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

Yea I don't know, to me it feels like Logic Pro is getting a lot more TLC from Apple then DP has been getting from MOTU for quite a while now. Both programs have pros and cons without a doubt. But I just am finding the work flow on Logic to be more oriented to music making and the work flow of DP more oriented to sound engineering. They can both be used for either, but Logic just seems to put the right thing in front of me in the right way right about the time I need it, with a GUI that is easy to look at, while I find myself clicking around and squinting at the DP9 GUI and feeling annoyed by it and wishing it was more like Logic.

I would not call DP a pig. It has some extremely useful features in it that Logic does not. There are pros and cons. But I do think DP has become antiquated in many ways in terms of work flow and they need to entirely revamp it...but instead they just keep tacking on the kinds of new features that aren't even useful to me. I've been a DP fan for a long time. Lately I'm discovering Logic and its just a very fresh wake up call...I like Logic Pro X a lot!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”