Do you get "stuck" often when producing?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nanakai wrote:Lots of good posts (and a video!). For my own blockage, I will take whatever melody I have that isn't working, and record myself playing it over and over and over. It eventually mutates, and in the process I get inspired for other parts of the project. Ableton session view tends to get quite full ^_^

I do this too. Also, you have to allow the bad first draft. Something else that I do is to play over and over and then cut up what I've played, and copy and paste the bits that I like and try to fit them over the rest of the track.

Also, don't be afraid to let go of parts, especially favorite parts. Save them for another day. Try your track without some parts and see if it's actually better. I end up recording a lot that I end up not using.

I think the best produced stuff is something you think about for days or months.

It requires constant thinking about what kind of sounds you want to make, what kind of melodies you want to use and so forth.

If you're a songwriter/singer then start with a instrument and start messing about with some chord progressions.

Once you got a few basic patterns down write them down!

I suppose it depends on what kind of music you're making, but if you want to make really expressive stuff it will require a lot of thought and many "stuck" moments.

Just keep at it.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:I think the best produced stuff is something you think about for days or months.
That's kind of a big spread.

I don't know how long the song took to finish, but, Sting talks about how the song "Every Breath You Take" was basically scribbled on a napkin in five minutes.

I tend to get bored with stuff that doesn't come together pretty quickly, but then again, I write shit anyway, so maybe there's something there.

It is a an ongoing conversation... like we have with friends.... sometime you go over the same territory but every once in a while something sticks. Recently I went to an author talk and the audience was just as engaged with his book talk as they were with the creative process. Creative types live in that space, the best of them have no choice.
deastman wrote:I'll never understand how and why people revive these seemingly random three year old topics...

Scotty wrote:It is a an ongoing conversation... like we have with friends.... sometime you go over the same territory but every once in a while something sticks. Recently I went to an author talk and the audience was just as engaged with his book talk as they were with the creative process. Creative types live in that space, the best of them have no choice.
deastman wrote:I'll never understand how and why people revive these seemingly random three year old topics...
I don't understand why people don't understand reviving old threads. I think that's really one of the best ways to have a continuing conversation. I think that there are far too many new (and really empty as far as depth goes) threads on KVR.

Oh boy, do I ever.

The thing is, I learned to recognize when I'm stuck, and instead of trying to power on through with sheer determination, I just put it down and either work on something else, or switch to a different creative medium altogether (usually writing, or Photoshop.)

Oh, if I absolutely must continue writing the song but some sound doesn't really fit, I use what I call "placeholder sounds." Something somewhat in the instrument area of what I need (e.g. bass, pad, etc.) that will help me keep my melodies and synth lines going. Of course this is a double-whammy since then it ends up with me getting stuck on what the sound itself should be, at the end of the day. :(

I also tried "let's do this differently" both seriously and for the fun of it. The serious bit is when I step back and say, "Okay, this obviously isn't working. Let's try something else." It works like a charm for the most part.

Currently, I'm second-drafting my songs, which means I expect to get stuck all the time on whether this part should stay, or what needs adding, what needs subtracting, etc. etc. etc.

I think writer's block comes from getting too comfortable in the creative process. If its not a challenge anymore then youre not going to surprise yourself.

I get stuck alot too. Usually it's because I get ideas for different song parts that aren't in order and might not even be in the same key. So all of a sudden I'll have an idea for a bridge or chorus or breakdown before I even have any idea about the verses or intro. It makes it pretty hard to work that way.

If I were in a band, somebody else could figure out the verse and intro parts. But since it's just me, I can't get past it.

Even when I do have ideas of what comes next, if I don't have a ton of energy to implement it, I stagnate. I need complete concentration to be able to implement some ideas if it requires a lot of technical project changes as well as good performing in MIDI.
Download & play soothing music: https://soundcloud.com/wait_codec

A lot of these 'solutions' to the problem are what other people do to get over writer's block. Are they applicable to the one who posted this? Probably not.

For this reason I suggest meditation. Learn to slow the brain down and focus.
Meditation has be scientifically proven to stimulate the Neocortex, the part responsible for creativity and problem solving. It also loosens the limbic system and improves emotional intelligence.

Generally, something doesn't work because of the foundation upon where it's laid or in your case, forced. Always make the foundation strong - both your mind and the idea you start with.

Now, I applaud the efforts of others trying to help this guy :clap: , really. But the reality is, things dont work because of where you start. There's no bandaid solution to this.

Kinh wrote:A lot of these 'solutions' to the problem are what other people do to get over writer's block. Are they applicable to the one who posted this? Probably not.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that nobody, other than you, is giving suggestions thinking "my thing is the only thing that will work." It's an open question, we're answering it with what works for us. The idea is that OP should try to identify the specific things that are causing him to block. I'm willing to be money that it has jack shit to do with not enough eastern pseudo science in his life.
Meditation has be scientifically proven to stimulate the Neocortex, the part responsible for creativity and problem solving. It also loosens the limbic system and improves emotional intelligence.
This comes off as arrogant as f**k. It's also largely bullshit. You're completely overstating the case for meditation based on whatever bizarre motivation you have for posting in this thread.

Here you go, when you come at the question without preconceived bias and with an attempt to control for placebo, there's very little evidence for any significant effect of meditation.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... overrated/
Now, I applaud the efforts of others trying to help this guy :clap: , really. But the reality is, things dont work because of where you start. There's no bandaid solution to this.
I don't think that anyone said that there was. What people are sharing is the reasons that they often block and the techniques that they use to get over them.

ghettosynth wrote:
Kinh wrote:A lot of these 'solutions' to the problem are what other people do to get over writer's block. Are they applicable to the one who posted this? Probably not.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that nobody, other than you, is giving suggestions thinking "my thing is the only thing that will work." It's an open question, we're answering it with what works for us. The idea is that OP should try to identify the specific things that are causing him to block. I'm willing to be money that it has jack shit to do with not enough eastern pseudo science in his life.
This comes off as arrogant as f**k. It's also largely bullshit. You're completely overstating the case for meditation based on whatever bizarre motivation you have for posting in this thread.

Here you go, when you come at the question without preconceived bias and with an attempt to control for placebo, there's very little evidence for any significant effect of meditation.

I don't think that anyone said that there was. What people are sharing is the reasons that they often block and the techniques that they use to get over them.
Clearly you have a lot of anger in you which indicates you probably have never experienced the benefits of meditation and thus are not an authority on the subject. I, on the other hand have. Everything I said is quite accurate and there would be few who'd refute it. Brain scans have been conducted on Transcendental mediators in their state and the parts of the brain I've mentioned have been dramatically altered, these parts are responsible for creativity. Meditation of all kinds is often linked to increased creativity, creativity is what this topic is about. Relaxation is the key to alleviate writers block. I write better when Im not stressed and Im willing to bet any money everyone here is exactly the same, including yourself.

Also meditation teaches you the art of focus. Focus is the primary ingredient in creativity. I could go on but I think you get the idea. Trust me, meditation is the key. Your brain is your instrument, not your keyboard, not your computer.

Kinh wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

Clearly you have a lot of anger in you which indicates you probably have never experienced the benefits of meditation and thus are not an authority on the subject. I, on the other hand have.
Clearly you have a lot of arrogance which indicates that you have never experienced the benefits of learning and thus are not an authority on the subject. I, on the other hand, have.

(Sorry, the comma is necessary there. I get that it ruins the joke, but I can't help myself)
Everything I said is quite accurate and there would be few who'd refute it.
This is an ignorant argument, a simple appeal to authority and populum.

Please read the linked article, it references actual science that demonstrates that meditation, at best, provides only a moderate benefit.
Relaxation is the key to alleviate writers block.
In your opinion, I'm sure.
I write better when Im not stressed and Im willing to bet any money everyone here is exactly the same, including yourself.
I write better when I'm not hungry as well, that doesn't mean that the key to alleviating writers block is to eat a sandwich. Look up the ideas of necessary and sufficient. You might learn something, although I have my doubts.
Also meditation teaches you the art of focus.
Your reasoning is circular. You've demonstrated succinctly that you don't understand science and evidence in the slightest.
Focus is the primary ingredient in creativity.
I see, so you're now an expert on creativity like you are on science of the brain?
I could go on but I think you get the idea.
I get the idea that you are hilariously out of touch with your ignorance. Try focusing on thinking instead of believing that eastern pseudo-science has the edge over actually thinking about music and you might get somewhere.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just out of interest, what's the scientific theory on causation between meditation and being a supercilious twat? It seems very obvious there's massive correlation, but Im not sure which way round it happens.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

The biggest creativity turn off I know is simply KVR. The crap that is written here is deffo a music killer. Best way to unblock is to leave the internet alone and dive into the concrete problem. Don't fight the block but just stay in and your mind will get you into that lovely self-oblivious flow and solve it by virtue of aha-experiences.

Well...works for me, so IMO, IME and all that shit. Not trying to point to universal strategies, but it's worth the try, me thinks.

IncarnateX wrote:The biggest creativity turn off I know is simply KVR. The crap that is written here is deffo a music killer. Best way to unblock is to leave the internet alone and dive into the concrete problem. Don't fight the block but just stay in and your mind will get you into that lovely self-oblivious flow and solve it by virtue of aha-experiences.

Well...works for me, so IMO, IME and all that shit. Not trying to point to universal strategies, but it's worth the try, me thinks.
I agree and when someone disagrees with anything you say on KVR they get all offended and take it personal and turn it into an argument match. :dog:

I've read these replies and if I had writer's block Id be very confused right now. End of the day, taking advice about over coming writers block from people who get writer's block doesn't somehow seem logical.
Taking advice about avoiding writer's block all together, does.

Everyone wants to believe there's a magic formula for everything. We complicate our lives, tangle ourselves up then think we can solve our problems with one simple solution. If we'd only stop and slow down. We put far too much pressure on ourselves in life which is why there's so much hostility in the world today - The expectation to out perform everyone is often beyond the realms of our abilities because everyone wants everything now. Things take time. Time is what this game is all about. Most people who produce music quit because they fight against time instead of allowing it to take its natural course and working with it. Time is your friend, not your enemy. If people would slow down they'd realize that.

Return to “Production Techniques”