Waves central a complete bust!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:You totally disregard that the common computer user is a dummy. So, in most use cases, it would be the best to do remote support.
The OP is not a dummy, and they insisted, so your point is moot.
If you still insist that it is a privacy issue, well, continue your monolog, if you're not open to reasonable arguments.
I never insisted it was a privacy issue, sorry mate, you aren't following.

ghettosynth wrote:...

I'm sorry bro, I'm so bored with this. You keep repeating yourself with the same nonsense.

ghettosynth wrote:
chk071 wrote:You totally disregard that the common computer user is a dummy. So, in most use cases, it would be the best to do remote support.
Well, he didn't receive remote support, did he? Also, i'd suggest to lend Waves support your crystal ball, so they know who is a computer pro and who is not when giving support. Oh, and also i'd pray to god that your computer never fails on you, and you might have to bring it back to the computer shop to fix it, they may see everything which is going on it, when fixing it.

chk071 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Well, he didn't receive remote support, did he? Also, i'd suggest to lend Waves support your crystal ball, so they know who is a computer pro and who is not when giving support.
You don't need a crystal ball, you just need to be competent.
Oh, and also i'd pray to god that your computer never fails on you, and you might have to bring it back to the computer shop to fix it, they may see everything which is going on it, when fixing it.
That's funny mate. I have no issues sending my laptop to be repaired, I've done it twice, both Macs, FYI. Incidentally, I have had an equal number of macs and PC laptops over the years, the macs haven't been as reliable as the PCs for me.

Desktops, I build my own, I always have. I don't need someone else to repair them for me.

None of this distraction changes anything. There isn't enough value in Waves plugins for me to allow them to connect to my desktop. I just don't want to deal with it. If it ever comes down to that for me, I'll just move on from Waves plugins.

Ok, that is your decision of course. The points and arguments given to justify the decision aren't comprehensible or reasonable though.

chk071 wrote:Ok, that is your decision of course. The points and arguments given to justify the decision aren't comprehensible or reasonable though.
To you, perhaps. I think that others comprehend them just fine. Most of you, it seems, think that tech support does a good job, that tells me something, I don't have that experience. Every time I call, it's a battle through the stupid before we get down to the real problem. Like I said, I have no reason to believe that Waves support will be any better, and, based on the OPs report, I have every reason to believe that they are typical.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:Every time I call, it's a battle through the stupid before we get down to the real problem.
But that's exactly what i'm talking about. Support usually has to give general recommendations, which could be not target-aimed at all, because it's just recommendations by the book. They surely have a list with "try these 10 points first", because simply, people aren't able to point down the problem in most cases. That's why support asks for error logs, and similar. Or asks for remote support, which lets them view the problem first hand. From my own experience of giving support, which isn't comparable with people doing that for a living of course, it's way better to sit in front of the machine, than being 100's of kilometres away, and having to rely on issue descriptions, by potential dummy users.

Anyway, as you said, repeating myself here. :) It's of course fine if you feel like refusing a remote connection on your computer, noone should be forced to do so (hasn't happened here though, i want to point that out another time), and i haven't had the case yet where a support worker did so, and why would he anger the customer anyway? It's his job to keep calm, and solve the problem with the customer. Just wanted to point out that there most likely is not a reason to worry about your privacy, if you allow it though.

chk071 wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:Every time I call, it's a battle through the stupid before we get down to the real problem.
But that's exactly what i'm talking about. Support usually has to give general recommendations, which could be not target-aimed at all, because it's just recommendations by the book. They surely have a list with "try these 10 points first", because simply, people aren't able to point down the problem in most cases.
I understand this. Look what you're not getting is that I've had to do the things that they do when I managed networks. It's not as hard as you're making it out to be, so long as you're competent.
It's his job to keep calm, and solve the problem with the customer.
Yes, that's it.
Just wanted to point out that there most likely is not a reason to worry about your privacy, if you allow it though.
I'm not worried about privacy, I'm worried about competence. I don't know where you ever got the idea that it's a privacy issue for me, it isn't.

Ok, understood. But when it is about competence, what do you expect to go wrong?

I'm with ghettosynth here, i would never let a third party remote connect to my systems _on pure principle_
Frankly i would be a bit offended/bafled if support would insist on doing so.

But thats just me..

pc2000 wrote:
Waves not offering an updated online installer download as an option. This means they have no fail safes in place in the event that central can't download products or something breaks in a update. What's your option in that event? Show me where Waves has acknowledged any complaints about central and have provided a reported issues section about central on their support page.
I actually find it quite hard to believe because I was in contact with them on Friday and they had no problem giving me a link to a most recent offline installer for all the plugins. It's not that I even need it, I just asked them about it just out of curiosity.

I also asked them about Central and they are fully aware of the various problems and limitations it currently has, and they are working on fixing them.
Last edited by robotmonkey on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No signature here!

ghettosynth wrote:
chk071 wrote:Ok, that is your decision of course. The points and arguments given to justify the decision aren't comprehensible or reasonable though.
To you, perhaps. I think that others comprehend them just fine. Most of you, it seems, think that tech support does a good job, that tells me something, I don't have that experience. Every time I call, it's a battle through the stupid before we get down to the real problem. Like I said, I have no reason to believe that Waves support will be any better, and, based on the OPs report, I have every reason to believe that they are typical.
You are not reasonable at all by objective standards. You claim you have no problem with giving your laptop to tech for repair where he would have a full access to everything on your computer, could go through all your files, make copies of them, install malware and so (and this is documented plenty of happening) while you have a problem with Waves tech support remoting in where you can see and control everything he does. Not reasonable by any standard.

The tech support going through the stupid steps is almost inevitable. Especially if one is dealing with end users by phone/e-mail. It's also quite common in bigger company where a resource optimization is needed. There's no point in letting engineer's and programmers waste their time on things that could be fixed by less qualified support techs. Also, as majority of users are stupid then all the simple problems related to user stupidity need to be excluded first. That said Waves support seems to be exemplary in pretty much every regard. And letting them to remote in actually is the best and quickest way to avoid going through all the motions.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote:
pc2000 wrote:
Waves not offering an updated online installer download as an option. This means they have no fail safes in place in the event that central can't download products or something breaks in a update. What's your option in that event? Show me where Waves has acknowledged any complaints about central and have provided a reported issues section about central on their support page.
I actually find it quite hard to believe because I was in contact with them on Friday and they had no problem giving me a link to a most recent offline installer for all the plugins. It's not that I even need it, I just asked them about it just our of curiosity.

I also asked them about Central and they are fully aware of the various problems and limitations it currently have, and they are working on fixing them.
Thank you sir for reporting that update. It's confirmation of what I've been saying all along- which makes all the condescending spew that took place in this thread a slap in the perpetrators faces! I'm no clueless noob that needs to be held by the hand by some tech- when I actually used various debugging tools that confirmed the issues with central before I contacted Waves support.

There is no such thing as bug-free software and for someone to think central (a new product with far more dependencies than the WLC app has) was solid as a rock is completely ludicrous. The developer tools I used to debug central already told me that, so waves remote connection would've simply been molestation of my computer for no reason that the tech could've solved!

FYI: I didn't state they had a refusal to offer the latest installer, however, the V9.3 version is what the Tech guy gave me a link to in my support session because I inquired about an installer. I also haven't seen it actually posted, so it seems it's only available by request- but not actually posted last I checked.

robotmonkey wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
You are not reasonable at all by objective standards.
No, only by your standards which are clearly clouded by your own perception.
You claim you have no problem with giving your laptop to tech for repair where he would have a full access to everything on your computer, could go through all your files, make copies of them, install malware and so (and this is documented plenty of happening) while you have a problem with Waves tech support remoting in where you can see and control everything he does. Not reasonable by any standard.
You keep bringing up privacy as if it was ever my point, it wasn't, I've said that, I hope not to have to say it again. I'm not concerned about them browsing my files, I want them to fix the problem and I don't want to have to rely on their ability to fix things that are tainted with software from outside of their own ecosystem.

My experience says that they're not very good at that.

I always send my laptop in wiped. It's not because I'm concerned about my files, I would never send it in without a backup, it's because I'm concerned that they'll blame the problem on some driver that I have installed.

Second, when I get it back, I always wipe the disk and reinstall the os and then restore my backup. If you work in industry where any secure data is concerned, this is SOP. This should have immediately occurred to you. So, I'm not concerned about malware or their incompetence, and, wait for it, I make sure that they've not masked a hardware problem with software.

Please don't tell me that things like this don't happen. I had a mad time with Apple and the original iBook faulty power supply issue that was trashing main boards. It took hours on the phone getting them to accept the responsibility for their bad hardware and they tried numerous times to blame it on software. I was prepared for it and asked them "so, which Apple software should I uninstall to test this?" You could feel the incredulity over the phone.

Incidentally, you contradict yourself. You're suggesting that my mistrust in their abilities isn't objective and then arguing that there are known cases where they install malware? Seriously?

Every time I have to deal with tech support I prepare for the deluge of stupid, and no matter much I do, there still seems to be an excess of stupid.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

...moved after nonsense...
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”