Jazz Lessons Blowing My Simple Mind Here

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Also there's "irealpro" if you are on Mac or iOS. I use it on gigs sometimes if I'm in a pinch and don't know a tune. It comes with EVERY FREAKING TUNE IN THE UNIVERSE. Well, lol, it actually doesn't "come with them." They are like "we're not legally allowed to provide you with copyrighted songs.. BUT here's a link to a forum post with every song ever!"

It's cheap and the playback quality for practicing is surprisingly good. You can also print out charts that look real nice on the Mac version. Just chords no melodies.

Also, as far as chord stuff.. It can be overwhelming. First learn you basic "drop 2s" and "drop 3s" (google it there are surly a bunch of articles on it). Then after that, systematically learn them with altered tones (maj#11 dom7b5 etc). This will take some work but you'll be on good shape! Practice them in as many ways as you can think of..

Re "drop chords" Being a guitarist we never use them. I tried to come up with some type of close to variant but prefer justified.

As for the others...I learned all of them in my teens. (m7b5, b13. #11 etc)
Regarding legality, the yahoo biab membership is in no way associated with pg music.
There are two archives one with melodies _M and one without _m. If it has the melody then it's illegal. If it doesn't then .. it's not.

The Real Book was the standard when I was coming up in the world of jazz. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Book very illegal and yet the must have book of books for jazz players everywhere. You'd spend hundreds if not thousands buying other books to get the collection in the real book and... The real book (for the most part) was far more accurate.

I've got a biab version of the real book. It was made legally available for a short time paid every penny and damn proud of it. This was the legal Hal Leonard version. Sadly it's not released anymore.

The problem is the publishers. If you have guitarpro you can open a mysongbook account and legally pay/download songs. MySongbook was originally illegal and then the owners worked out differences with publishers. Publishers make their money msb provides a service to the public. Everyone's happy. That's not the case 99% of the time with midi files / biab files. Publishers don't want their material released in that manner. Either buy the book or sometimes pay outrageous prices for the pdf's. This makes things hell for content producers teachers and the like.

In the old days of webrings everyone was sharing midi or biab files of which they transcribed themselves. With BIAB it was even more so. And people used to (still can) write their own styles. Some people like Bob Norton sell their styles and songs without melodies. http://nortonmusic.com/contents.html

I too would write my own styles and write jazz exercises / lessons using biab. I taught with biab. And if the student didn't have biab I'd burn to midi or wav or even if they didn't have a computer I'd burn to cda.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

tapper mike wrote:Re "drop chords" Being a guitarist we never use them. I tried to come up with some type of close to variant but prefer justified.
Hmm.. I have to respectfully disagree. I would say that many many guitarists use them about 80% of the time. The reason they work so well is because like I think you were saying earlier.. It's impossible to do many uhh standard (?) chord voicing i.e. 1-3-5-7 3-5-7-1 etc. on guitar.

Now granted, I know a lot of random voicings that aren't drop chords, but I think they are very important. Check out some Joe Pass chord solos, those are just littered with drop 2's and 3's.

Maybe you're conflating with a different concept?

also, I'm curious what you mean by "justified'?

Drop Chords come from the shearing method of piano. They are block chords with dropped values which are used in reharmonization. While shearing would construct 6th or seventh chords based on the melody notes alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-CI9FA ... 21244A479B

Drop chords refer to dropping the lowest note of the harmony. Nat King Cole before being a well known singer was a well known jazz pianist who used drop two for his melodies. Using those types of voicings it ignores the actual chords of the progression.

Slash / Over chords are chords that are used by guitarists when the root of the chord is not in the bass. This covers "inversion chords" as known by pianists as well. It's acutally used in pop more then jazz
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_chord

In jazz solo guitar the melody is always the upper most note. Sometimes that note does not fit the chord or even the key. The chord is then justified to allow the note. For example the chord of a particular measure may be a E7 but the note is an F natural or a G natural. To justify the note the chord will be voiced as an E7b9 or E7#9 respectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knPck_yEIT8

You'll notice first he plays the melody. Then he justifies the chords (which is the standard chord progression for the song) to accommodate the melody. (EbM7 becomes EbM13) Then he applies standard substitution principles to the chords while keeping the melody still on top.

I've been using the same method for arranging years on end now. Once you've worked out the construct and can arrange for guitar using this method...the sky's the limit. If you have a melody and the chord chart you can construct your own arrangements rather easily. Sure you can introduce walking bass lines and or explore "stretch/squeeze" voicings ala Johnny Smith or Ted Greene/ Tim Lerch.

Hmm.. It seems like we are using different jazz dialects here. It sounds to me like you are talking about using rootless voicings. This in no way "ignores the actual chords of the progression." Not really sure what you mean here. As long as the third and seventh are present, it will very much be the progression.

I googled drop chords and tried to find something like what you're talking about but I'm not seeing it. All the articles I came across are referring to the type of voicings I was meaning. You're not ommiting any voices in a drop 2. Drop 2 just means your are taking the second voice from the top and moving it down an octave. These type of voicings are much easier to play in guitar. In fact, I watched a little but of the video you linked, and the three chords I saw him play were all drop 2's.

From my experience, different jazzers have different words for things, so this can all get very confusing.

Hi,

I wanted (and still want to) give you a full response to your previous post. Unfortunately I have time constraints at hand. As soon as time allows I'll return to this thread and respond accordingly.

Mike

Return to “Music Theory”