NKS

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Will it ever become a standard? Seems not many of the bigger VST producers are addapting their VSTs to be compatible..

Maybe VIP is a better bet, Akai M-audio and Alesis all addapted this in their hardware, and its even possible for 3rd party hardware developers to buy a license for VIP compatibillity. And Akai makes sure all important VSTs are compatible with VIP..( seems even NI komplete software runs fully inside VIP)

Any inside information about 3rd party VST's adapting to NKS?

Does the latest Komplete Kontrol software support effects? Like VIP does now?

Sjefke wrote:Seems not many of the bigger VST producers are addapting their VSTs to be compatible..?
Waddayamean? :?

Obviously Native Instruments, u-he, XILS, and Arturia are some of the bigger VST producers

I have no insider information. But I have written API's. NKS is essentially an API of sorts for NI controllers. There still needs to be something on the VST software end to make the connections.

The problem lies in that both parties tend to point to the other saying that it is "their responsibility" to make it compatible. Companies like Nektar have cleared that hurdle by working with each company to create an API that works with their hardware. I would imagine in some cases (especially DAW makers) the software devs are working hard to get their product plugged in to Nectar's hardware.

NI has a great concept (albeit nothing new) but I imagine the success depends on their hardware market saturation. I don't know the numbers. With Maschine I assume it to be pretty good. The new keyboards seem to be a hit as well. Major devs have signed on and products are out there. But some devs will question the value of their time and effort, especially since most VST's can be custom mapped to controllers anyway.

I would bet for NKS in the long run, NI has more robust software development that Akai (inmusic).

Also being a standard, and an API, rather than a plug in wrapper it may be possible that NKS can be adopted by other DAW companies to enhance integration.
dedication to flying

Numanoid wrote:
Sjefke wrote:Seems not many of the bigger VST producers are addapting their VSTs to be compatible..?
Waddayamean? :?

Obviously Native Instruments, u-he, XILS, and Arturia are some of the bigger VST producers
U-he has only adapted Diva, Spitfire only Albion One, XILs so far only has XIls4 converted..

I am talking about the other bige ones, i think they need to convince Steinberg, Spectrasonics, pianoteq, Ivory Toontrack and all those others..

Before adapting to the komplete series, i need to know if more of my favorite VSTs will convert

Akai, M-Audio and Alesis are all InMusic brands. No surprise there that they support VIP.
Meanwhile, my money's on NKS.
And NI's quality Fatar keys.

rod_zero wrote:I would bet for NKS in the long run, NI has more robust software development that Akai (inmusic).

Also being a standard, and an API, rather than a plug in wrapper it may be possible that NKS can be adopted by other DAW companies to enhance integration.
You may want to investigate before typing more haha
NI software development has been halted for a LOT of years now, they are now very much a content company, synths/effects for Reaktor and samples/presets for Maschine and Kontakt, Akais software development on VIP is actually done by one of the long time regular developers here at KVR (Big Tick)

Also stating that it is a standard and an API rather than a plugin wrapper, again you really should investigate this first, it is just as much a wrapper as any other system that has ever existed, NKS standard does nothing more than integrate a plugins preset and mapping in to NIs warppers, that being Maschine or Kontrol, you cant just run an NKS plugin in your host and it will work with Maschine hardware or Kontrol hardware, it has to be ran inside Kontrol or Maschine inside your host.

What advantages does NKS bring, well it is actually quite hard to see any, users have already started mapping and resaving non NKS synths and effects (Even though Kontrol does not support effects, Maschine does partially) themselves, so anything that the users have mapped has zero advantage of being ported to NKS really, however, it has the big big disadvantage that developers have to rework their plugins to be NKS format, VIP has no such disadvantage.
Believe me i am a huge Maschine user, it is my main weapon, but i don't see this through rose tint glasses, NKS is another in a long list of bad decisions by NI that all started to get silly after the release of Maschine 2.0 and this content driven eco system with very few if any software updates.
Duh

There has been plenty of updates in Kontakt release cycle, Reaktor 6 is a huge advancement in several areas compared to Reaktor 5...

You're simply wrong that software development at NI has stopped.

I do hope there will be a few more developers getting onboard with NKS this year...

(I saw Rob Papen mentioning that they were working towards NKS on their Facebook page a few week ago).

When was Maschine 2.0 last updated? :?
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

---
Last edited by Chapelle on Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chapelle wrote:
trimph1 wrote:When was Maschine 2.0 last updated? :?
November 2015. :wink:
http://www.kvraudio.com/news/native-ins ... or-5-31540
Tells me how out of the loop I am... :oops:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

EvilDragon wrote:You're simply wrong that software development at NI has stopped.
Yes tell that to Maschine users, a software update on Maschine is adding a new Reaktor synth from Komplete that we all already own because we own Komplete, and how long was it between Reaktor 5.5 and 6 haha
There is a constant development and there is drip releases, NI are a content company, yes you wont admit it for very obvious reasons.
Duh

Between Reaktor 5.5 and 6 were lots of intermediary releases that all brought in something new and which benefitted Reaktor in the long run. So that counts as constant development pretty much in my book.

Sure NI is releasing content for products they develop - a lot of their userbase is about fast workflow and instant gratification, and what better way of enabling that is to offer more content? Not only that, enabling 3rd party content developers is making NI userbase larger day by day, so I don't think that's a bad thing really.

bungle wrote: What advantages does NKS bring, well it is actually quite hard to see any, users have already started mapping and resaving non NKS synths and effects
I agree there might not be a big advantage to users who have the time and the will to map their own synths, but what about the huge number of users who just want to be able to plug and play, mess around with presets, and have access to the right parameters on a controller with a digital readout for each knob?

Be it laziness, be it a person like me who has a pretty demanding life/day-job, I think there are plenty of people who would be pretty excited to have a controller system that achieves critical mass - especially one that has a cool digital display that changes to show the name of the parameter :D

Not sure how it works - can NKS assignments be changed on a per-patch basis or only per-vst? Modular synths like Zebra would be impossible to map I guess unless you could map specifically for each patch - and honestly wouldn't it be amazing if eventually something like that became a defacto standard over time?

I haven't bought an S-Series yet, but I'm definitely watching with interest to see what happens...

Return to “Instruments”