Arturia MATRIXBRUTE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hmmm, thanks for those links. I have no idea why I thought the minibrute was 0/5v and was having issues working with MU 0/10v or -5/+5v. I was sure there was a Muffwigglers thread about it, but can't find it now.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Transcript from the Arturia Meeting

Employee 1: "What are we going to do with all these buttons that we decided not to use on the sequencers? We should do something with them."

Employee 2: "Let's build a synth! We could have one button per preset!"

Employee 1: "Nah. That's stupid."

Employee 2: "They could be multi-purpose, not just for presets. They could control a sequencer or maybe even a mod-matrix!"

Employee 1: "Hmmm... That's interesting."

Amazon: why not use an alternative

Amazing price

pdxindy wrote:
Lejurai wrote:
This video is just hideous xD Who do they think will buy this synth.. Kids? Not for a serious synth user obviously *roflmao*
I'd buy that synth... it's maybe the most compelling offering of the entire NAMM show
I would too, if I was in a place where I felt that buying new synths made sense. I think that the use of the grid of buttons as both routing and a sequencer is really quite innovative.

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Those bemoaning lack of polyphony know nothing about modulars Im guessing
Tell that to Korg :hihi:
They have a polyphonic analog modular?

:hyper:
System 1m... Well it pretends to be analog.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Numanoid wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Those bemoaning lack of polyphony know nothing about modulars Im guessing

System 1-M is Rolands and plays polyphonic only if modular I/O is disabled :(
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

VariKusBrainZ wrote:http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and ... sizer/1GH1

£1,539.00 seems a decent price
Thats affordable in a shorter time than i had anticipated...

still waiting for an Aussie to start advertising it. It's all TBA here :-(
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Blessed are the early-adopters, for theirs is the kingdom of bugs & fixes.

zerocrossing wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

Indeed, but coincidentally, and potentially ironically, Korg does (did) have a polyphonic modular, a whole line of them, in fact.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/korg/ps3300.php

ghettosynth wrote: Indeed, but coincidentally, and potentially ironically, Korg does (did) have a polyphonic modular, a whole line of them, in fact.
Wow, thanks ghettosynth.

I don't recall ever seeing one of those. 48 oscillators! Googling youtube demos, maybe it can make fat sounds, though the demos I saw were thin weedy sounds like you might want to use in old Godzilla movies. :)

Some of the demos show it playing polyphonically with each note APPEARING to have its own independent filter envelope triggering.

So, if you know, what the heck did those patch points do? The patch points would make sense with monophonic or paraphonic, but what could simple hardware patch points do on a true-poly synth? Many interesting patches would need a different patch cable for every voice? Or big fat polyphonic patch cables with multi-pin connectors on each patch point?

DJ Warmonger wrote:
zerocrossing wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Numanoid wrote:

System 1-M is Rolands and plays polyphonic only if modular I/O is disabled :(
Oh, really? I did not know that. I was thinking about picking one up because I thought it might be a cool way to get my feet a bit wet in the world of modulars and be able to so some polyphonic stuff as well. I'm not sure that totally changes my mind, but if you can't even do something like use an oscillator to modulate filter cutoff in poly mode, I'll just go back to my software modulars for such things.

Anyway, the Matrixbrute does look beautiful and the price sure seems right. I can't see myself affording one any time soon but it is interesting.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

JCJR wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: Indeed, but coincidentally, and potentially ironically, Korg does (did) have a polyphonic modular, a whole line of them, in fact.
Wow, thanks ghettosynth.

I don't recall ever seeing one of those. 48 oscillators! Googling youtube demos, maybe it can make fat sounds, though the demos I saw were thin weedy sounds like you might want to use in old Godzilla movies. :)

Some of the demos show it playing polyphonically with each note APPEARING to have its own independent filter envelope triggering.

So, if you know, what the heck did those patch points do? The patch points would make sense with monophonic or paraphonic, but what could simple hardware patch points do on a true-poly synth? Many interesting patches would need a different patch cable for every voice? Or big fat polyphonic patch cables with multi-pin connectors on each patch point?
Yes, because of the design, a lot of compromises were made in the individual circuits to keep the cost under control. It's basically 48 simple monosynths and it's really more of a semi-modular with some modular aspects to modulation. There's some discussion of the circuit limitations on the late Jurgen Haible's PS series clone site.

http://www.oldcrows.net/~jhaible/polyko ... clone.html

Someone, and I don't remember who, I thought JH, but I can't find the reference, had another fully modular DIY poly that used five pin DIN cables for patches. This allowed five voices and pretty much a standard modular style workflow.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”