25%
Bad
No votes
Failure
25%

Total votes: 8

RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:box.com is a good site, one can preview waves online or download them, as one pleases.

I don't see the need for such an angry vibe here, today's Valentin's day, so wait till tomorrow 8)
I agree about the vibe, I posted a reluctance to download files and the salient point gets ignored and instead the focus must be on the flaws in my internets. Instead how about focusing on "hey wait a minute, I'm asking people to help me, maybe he has a point and I should make that easy."

I'm not alone, this has been commented on before, basically you're asking people to do work for you, to give you feedback on your efforts. Well, make it easy for them to do that and be considerate of their concerns.

As far as valentines day though, I don't give a f**k, it's a stupid hallmark holiday designed to extract money from people.

ghettosynth wrote: As far as valentines day though, I don't give a f**k, it's a stupid hallmark holiday designed to extract money from people.
No cards eh? Me neither :hihi:

thecontrolcentre wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: As far as valentines day though, I don't give a f**k, it's a stupid hallmark holiday designed to extract money from people.
No cards eh? Me neither :hihi:
I assume that you're trying to be funny, but do other adults actually celebrate vagina day by giving people, other than their spouses, or perhaps children, gifts? Really?

The only good thing about the day is that people use it as an excuse to throw (music) events.

No more pointless than Christmas or Easter 8) At least VD is not a religious event :hihi:
Still, if it manages to bring people together because they do things they would otherwise not do, any nonsense occasion will do. Life is all about illusion...
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why is everybody on this forum so damn pissy?

ENV1 wrote:People love filters, so heres an opportunity to rate one. :)

For now you only need to know this:

- The filter was modelled after a well-known analog filter.

- The output of the synth went straight to WAV. (I.e. no limiter, no additional processing.)

- Its the filter only, i.e. no 'regular' oscillators.

Rest later to avoid bias and prejudice.

Archive contains:

- 1 very long sweep, (1 minute 5 seconds), linear decay.

- 1 set of Zaps, (44 seconds), varying exponential decay.

Feel free to add your comments too, im looking forward to hearing your opinions. :)

Download
So it basically seems to be based on using a filter on slf-oscillation which needs no oscillator.

The second demo is actually how a Bass drum sound based on self oscillation is done.

Anyway the quality of taht filter dos not seem to be as good as a real analog or as good rmulation like e.g. Diva or the Xils Lab synths.
That filter does not seem to be based on a zero delay feedback filter. Those or a real analog usually create a better quality at self oscillation and usually they create a pleasing Sine like sound and not such a piercing sound like in teh fisrt demo.
The second demo is also not the best example i had head of such sounds yet. The beginning of the demo sounds more or less OK but later it does no longer seem to sound like a real analog or a good emulation.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

man, it's TWO f'ing clicks and you download the file. go to the bottom of the page and click the big orange download box. go to the next page and do the same. the zip downloads. sure, it looks like a pain in the ass, but it's really not. you're being more of a pain in the ass than the download is. i certainly agree though, just post the f'ing clips to soundcloud or something, i hate downloading wav files and having to do all this just to listen to a clip that's a few seconds long. the difference in the wav and online stream doesn't make that much difference here.

that said, it sounds good... i guess? hard to judge it in this context. definitely doesn't sound bad at all.

Ingonator wrote: That filter does not seem to be based on a zero delay feedback filter. Those or a real analog usually create a better quality at self oscillation and usually they create a pleasing Sine like sound and not such a piercing sound like in teh fisrt demo.
I haven't listened to the sound demos, but i can assure that being zero delay feedback or not does not directly relate to sound quality. A zero delay feedback filter can sound like utter crap, same with a filter not using zero delay feedback. It's just that modern, "good sounding" filters usually utilize zero delay feedback technology to sound well with extreme settings/modulations. At least that's the way i understood it. You surely won't be able to hear if, in this case, it is a zero delay feedback filter or not, just judging from the perceived sound quality.

fluffy_little_something wrote:No more pointless than Christmas or Easter 8)
Two other pointless holidays. At least christmas comes with a day off.
At least VD is not a religious event :hihi:
Neither is christmas.

ghettosynth wrote:Your test is amateur by definition, but, in the context of my response I meant ALL of these style of tests by EVERYONE, not just you, you're not that interesting.
After reading what you had to say in the 2600 thread (and other threads) i dont think i need you to define for me whats amateur and whats professional so please spare me the lecture and the snide remarks.
ghettosynth wrote:You're asking people to waste time listening to something that has no context. Given the response, I'm guessing that it's total shit and not worth the effort to download
This is not a guessing game. And maybe if you wouldnt be so hellbent on being a jerk just for the heck of it you would probably see that, too.
ghettosynth wrote:I don't think that I've ever been so narcissistic as to ask people here to listen to my amateur filter constructions and then get pissed off when they expect it to be convenient to do so.
The 'i dont think' part would seem to be correct, the rest is simply a problem of your setting the wrong priorities, i.e. bitching and whining rather than making an effort to comprehend the purpose of this thread and then doing what you were supposed to do.
ghettosynth wrote:If you knew something about filters, you really wouldn't need to ask people in this way, you'd just know if it was good or not. You would be able to evaluate this yourself and by the time you were ready to ask others you would be getting mostly positive feedback.
You mean like you dont know anything about limiters? :D (OK, thats mean.)

Anyway, oh wise one, maybe you should take a step back and try again. Because right now you are so far off the track its embarassing. Hint: It is not about me being uncertain whether the filter is any good. I am more than well equipped to determine that for myself, thanks very much, so spare me the smarty-pants act and just get with the program.
Last edited by ENV1 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ingonator wrote: Anyway the quality of taht filter dos not seem to be as good as a real analog or as good rmulation like e.g. Diva or the Xils Lab synths.
That filter does not seem to be based on a zero delay feedback filter. Those or a real analog usually create a better quality at self oscillation and usually they create a pleasing Sine like sound and not such a piercing sound like in teh fisrt demo.
The second demo is also not the best example i had head of such sounds yet. The beginning of the demo sounds more or less OK but later it does no longer seem to sound like a real analog or a good emulation.
Given that Ingonator approves of filters that I hate, I'm just going to conclude that this is pretty much the last word. Basically, if he likes it, I might like it, but, if he doesn't like it, you don't know what you're doing.

So who voted Failure.

ENV1 wrote: You mean like you dont know anything about limiters? :D (OK, thats mean.)
It's not mean, it's just stupid. I never claimed to know anything about limiters, why do you think that I was asking questions? You should be asking questions about filters, not wasting people's time.
It is not about me being uncertain whether the filter is any good.
You should be certain that it isn't.

Yeah, whatever.

jbuonacc wrote:man, it's TWO f'ing clicks and you download the file. go to the bottom of the page and click the big orange download box.
unless it turns out to be a site where at a casual glance what looks to be the download button is an ad and the real download is another link :x

but regardless of that... it is not just 2 clicks... it is 2 clicks to download, then a couple clicks to go to the download folder to find it (oh crap, what was the name of that file again?), right click to open, listen, go back to the download folder and click to delete the file then click to go back to what I was doing.

I figure for these sorts of cases, which require a download, I do it maybe 5-10% of the time compared to being able to just listen to it. I didn't download in this instance.

and hey, if someone wants to post audio as a download, they are free to do so... just as I'm free to pass it by :wink:

Return to “Instruments”