"Dynamic Harmonic Tremolo"

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got an email from Earthquaker Devices who make pretty innovative guitar effects pedals - I thought the description of this new pedal might interest some of the learned sound designers here - are there any plugins that do this exactly?
Night Wire
Dynamic Harmonic Tremolo

The Night Wire is a feature-rich harmonic tremolo. What is harmonic tremolo? In short, the signal is split into high pass and low pass filters, then modulated with an LFO that is split 180 degrees. The Night Wire takes the traditional harmonic tremolo a few steps further by allowing the center point of both filters to be adjusted for different tones. The filter frequency has three modes: Manual, LFO and Attack. In Manual mode, the center point can be set to a fixed position with the frequency control. In LFO mode, the filters are continuously swept and the frequency control adjusts the speed. In Attack mode, the filters are dynamically swept according to pick attack and the frequency control acts as a range control, much like a standard envelope filter. The tremolo section has two modes, Manual and Attack. In Manual mode, the speed of the tremolo is governed by where the rate control is set. In Attack mode the speed is controlled by pick attack and the rate controls the sensitivity; the harder you pick, the faster the rate and vice-versa. The tremolo can be subtle and shimmery or full-on throbbing depending on where the depth control is set. With the depth set to zero, the Night Wire will act like a fixed filter, phase shifter or envelope-controlled filter depending on which mode the filter frequency is in. It also features a cut/boost volume control to get your levels just right. Each Night Wire is hand made one at a time in the moonlit village of Akron, Ohio.

Sounds like a cross between the "vibrato" found in the brown-faced Fenders, and a Mutron (i.e. simple envelope filter).

The brown-faced Fender amplifiers were only released for a few years in the very early 1960s, and had a unique take on tremolo/vibrato. Instead of the tremolo (i.e. volume modulation) of the tweed, blackface and silverface Fenders, many of the brown-face Fenders used a crossover network, where there was "antiphase" modulation of the high and low frequencies. This resulted in something that was closer in sound to a Leslie speaker than the tremolo of the other amps, and had some actual vibrato elements in that the phase changed (which changes the pitch). The closest approximation to this sound would be a Univibe, or maybe the 2-stage phase shifters like the MXR Phase 45 or the DOD version.

I wonder if this new pedal is analog, or if uses the Spin Semiconductor FV-1 like some of the other Earthquaker pedals.

Sean Costello

Do they? Interesting! I only have the Organizer - do you know by any chance if that goes for this one as well?
(they only say something along the lines of using an unusual analog/digital hybrid design for it)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

heard the demos its basically a tricked out tremolo combineds with a crossover Filters controlled with LFO and envelope generator that reacts to amplitude

I'd say its a Multi-fx instead of a new never-heard-before FX

there is nothing in that that u cannot do with a custom channel strip in your DAW.

obviously you'll have more knobs that a self contained unit so you'll have to tweak stuff in a UN-intuitive manner

you'll need a DAW that can send plugin output to more than one track( for the crossover)
or
duplicate a second track with the same setting
one will have a hi-pass and the other a Low-pass

you'll also need a Midi FX plugins that can take care of the Envelope and LFO modulation that are to be assigned to knob(s)
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

For self-contained plugins, I'd take a stab at Fabfilter Volcano2, Eventide H3000 Factory, Exponential Excalibur and GlitchMachines Quadrant.

doubled post

:tu:
Last edited by Mister Natural on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

or the sequenced trem / filter in Tantra . . .
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Melda MXXX
Melda MMultiBandTremolo which is currently on sale for only $21, weekly sale ends soon though I think
Amazon: why not use an alternative

An early version of Guitar Rig had a preset for just this effect which used the envelope modulator in conjunction with the tremolo effect or I suppose you could assign to an amps tremolo

Guitar Rig's amps might not be as good as the current generation of sims but the mod/delay/filter effects in conjunction with the mod/Lfo utilities can yield new and creative effects. The Melda stuff can probably do that too

Interesting thread! My favourite tremolo is the Fender Tremolux, bias-tremolo at it's best.

Ichad.c wrote:Interesting thread! My favourite tremolo is the Fender Tremolux, bias-tremolo at it's best.
I have a 1960's locally made amp with powertube bias trem. You can actaully see the tube glow bouncing between the 2 powertubes in sync with the tremolo. Amazing depth and richness.... it could never be replicated digitally, sadly.

Return to “Effects”