Looking for metallic sounds and timbres ...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Humanoid Sound Systems' Scanned Synth Pro excels at metallic tones. Also does creepy and tormented, if you swing that way.

http://www.humanoidsoundsystems.com/sca ... th-plugin/

If you absolutely need something new to play with, then get Dexed. It can do metallic sounds.

It's also free.

If you cant resist the urge to spend money. Go buy kontakt and some kontakt libraries of people turning actual recordings of metal manipulated objects into instruments.
:borg:

Ogun is my first option too. Take the free autogun and see if it fits your needs.

Also, try U-he Triple Cheese. It's free!

V0RT3X wrote:
Autobot wrote:thanks for all your tips. fm8 and kaivo are already mine :-) Chromaphone is cool but I already use Ableton Live Collison for that kind of sounds. Try Ogun perhaps.
Then you need nothing new. Learn how to use kaivo, collision and fm8. All of thosr are more than capable.
I'm GASed :oops:
pdxindy wrote:
Autobot wrote:Hi ladies and gentlemen,

can anyone suggest a vst synthesizer which is capable for or designed to achieve metallic sounds and timbres? Pleas no 32bit, mac-only or sampled stuff :lol:

TIA
What do you mean by metallic sounds and timbres?

You can take many sounds and send them through some older 'cheap' reverbs and make it sound metallic...

as for synths, the comb modules in Zebra are good for metallic sounds... plus you have fm possibilities and the sideband modules and more. All combined you have a vast potential for metallic timbres.

for audio rate stuff and flexible FM (exponential, linear, through-zero), Bazille excels at crisp sharp metallic tones.
To get more concrete on this: I want to synthesize obscure cymbals, bowed metal, chimes and such ...
rabbit in a hole

double post - sorry
rabbit in a hole

Prism!!!

Aalto is also great for creating theses types of sounds easily.

Autobot wrote:
To get more concrete on this: I want to synthesize obscure cymbals, bowed metal, chimes and such ...
Zebra is (IMO) unmatched for such sounds... for bells, chimes, singing bowls, dissonant metal tones, metallic plucked strings, bowed stuff etc.

Between the range of tools and the modular nature, you can create anything and craft it exactly as you want it. Zebra can do quite realistic emulations plus whatever sort of stylized sound you would envision. Here are just a few of my own explorations along those lines:

http://draigathar.org/sounds/sharp-bell.mp3
http://draigathar.org/sounds/Zebra1.mp3
http://draigathar.org/sounds/Zebra13.mp3

Just as a reference, Autogun crashes every DAW I have...except FL Studio. Maybe someone else could verify, but while Ogun works nicely, Autogun jacks me up on load.

Z3TA can do all sorts of metallic sounds.

Seconding Kinetic Metal, even though you said no samples. :P

Prism is a good one. Maybe Spectral.

No point in Dexed since you've got FM8, unless you specifically want to use DX7 algorithms instead of the FM8 matrix.

Well if you want to synthesize these sounds i suggest AAS String Studio and Chromaphone.

Both can do scraping , clanging metal sounds using physical modelling synthesis.

Zebra is also another good option but for more detail in building physical modelling i would pick AAS. Zebra is good at quite a few synthesis types but I find its more generalized in it's approach whereas the AAS stuff is more specific.

YMMV
:borg:

Any synth through a bitcrusher :)

AIR Music Tech's Loom can create some interesting metallic sounds.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

tonedef71 wrote:AIR Music Tech's Loom can create some interesting metallic sounds.
Every additive synth can. Though I think these are more digital than authentic metal sounds.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Instruments”