PG8X (inspired by the JX8P): new beta version uploaded

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pg-8x

caonoize wrote:
Yeager wrote:Hi Martin,

Love the synth, BUT I still have something that is bothering me.
I observed this (http://imgur.com/z1h1B2o) as well. If you have full unison, the transient offset occurs on all the voices at once. This can even be seen with the init patch. I think something's getting a bogus init on new patch load, but where is not something I can tell. Filter state?

Clues?
I know where the problem is: The (raw) oscillators go from 0 to 1 and have a DC offset, which is killed by a High-pass filter in the signal path. This filter is currently still wrongly initialized.

One difficulty is, that the proper initial values depend on the wave form. A simple, albeit not perfect, fix would be to let the voices run silently for one second after loading the plugin, assuming that it will take this time anyway before the first note will be played. Currently, all voices are initialized in their sleeping state, which means that each voice only starts 'running in' the high pass filter, once the first note is played.

I am also experimenting with a higher HP frequency at startup, which should make the process faster.

The issue will (hopefully) be fixed in the next version.

Cheers,
Martin

martin_l wrote:
wald wrote:After learning Midi to a slider it crashes if I send Midi to that slider. Takes down the whole host (haven't seen that in years...)
Latest Beta VST on Mac. Happens on: Live, Maschine, Logic (all 64 bit). Midi data was sent from Novation Remote 37 SL.
Which Midi data are you trying to learn? CC? NRPM? Could you give me some more details, as I am currently not able to reproduce the problem.

Thanks,
Martin
Midi CC (cc 42 to be exact).
Here is what I need to do to reproduce the crash.
1) Open PG8X
2) Right click on cutoff, move midi knob => assignment is made, knob moves fader just fine.
3) Click on Resonance
4) Move midi knob => Crash.

Let me know if you need anything else.

For Wald , maybe you did not read this :
martin_l wrote:
wald wrote:After learning Midi to a slider it crashes if I send Midi to that slider. Takes down the whole host (haven't seen that in years...)
Latest Beta VST on Mac. Happens on: Live, Maschine, Logic (all 64 bit). Midi data was sent from Novation Remote 37 SL.

OK. I was able to reproduce the problem. It occurs when you start learning one parameter, and then move another slider WITHOUT first clicking on WRITE VALUES / CLOSE.

I will try to fix it, i.e. prevent the host from crashing.

Current work-around. Always learn one control at a time. Right-click the slider, move the Midi controller and then click the WRITE VALUES / CLOSE button, so that the side panel returns to the standard view. Then you can repeat for another parameter without crashing the host.

Cheers,
Martin

martin_l wrote:A simple, albeit not perfect, fix would be to let the voices run silently for one second after loading the plugin
Actually any patch change seems to reset this. e.g. if I load a patch, play it, hit init, play that, then reload the first patch, I still get the jump when I play the first notes on the reloaded patch.

I suspect you could do an even shorter wait; that scope pic is 500ms per division. Alternatively, make a stab for initialization based on the starting waveform selection.
martin_l wrote: I am also experimenting with a higher HP frequency at startup, which should make the process faster.
I worry this will take away some of the gutsiness.

double post.
Last edited by martin_l on Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I wrote this recipe only after Wald's first bug report.

Martin
Yeager wrote:For Wald , maybe you did not read this :
martin_l wrote:

OK. I was able to reproduce the problem. It occurs when you start learning one parameter, and then move another slider WITHOUT first clicking on WRITE VALUES / CLOSE.

Current work-around. Always learn one control at a time. Right-click the slider, move the Midi controller and then click the WRITE VALUES / CLOSE button, so that the side panel returns to the standard view. Then you can repeat for another parameter without crashing the host.

Cheers,
Martin

Yeager wrote:For Wald , maybe you did not read this :
martin_l wrote:

Cheers,
Martin
Indeed, I didn't. Thanks!

And thanks Martin for the workaround!

Hi Martin, please note that i had a problem with trying to assign midi cc learn to DCO1 RANGE, the cc # was 47 but i'm pretty sure it will do the same with any cc#. i've been able to click two time on the slider and assigned it but that parameter slider move with other parameter that you'll program after. This is my favorite softsynth of all !

SAVYHOST 64 BIT + PG8X 64 BIT

Thanks

BOBT

Hi Martin, I love this plugin, really sounds like the hardware. I know you're still at beta stage with it, but was just wondering if you're considering expanding it into a second JX-10 emulation plugin? since JX-10s are just two JX-8Ps in one. Obviously you can run two PG8X instances together but the JX-10 does a bit more than just play two JX-8P sounds side by side.

Anyway just curious because if you did I could probably sell my JX-10 :) Thanks for sharing your work, it's one of the best free softsynths I'm aware of.

robohymn wrote:Hi Martin, I love this plugin, really sounds like the hardware. I know you're still at beta stage with it, but was just wondering if you're considering expanding it into a second JX-10 emulation plugin? since JX-10s are just two JX-8Ps in one. Obviously you can run two PG8X instances together but the JX-10 does a bit more than just play two JX-8P sounds side by side.

Anyway just curious because if you did I could probably sell my JX-10 :) Thanks for sharing your work, it's one of the best free softsynths I'm aware of.
I am considering a future "MLS-70", which would basically be two "PG-8X" in one box. But don't hold your breath just now. I am extremely busy with my day job and am already struggling finding the time to fix the remaining bugs in the PG-8X (see above for all the reports...)

It also will not be that straight forward to implement. Firstly, even though the board uses the same components, the filters of the MKS-70 (and probably also JX-10) seem to be driven further to self-oscillation than in the JX-8P. I have to check how far I can push my current filters, which due to the tame behaviour of the JX-8P did not require special treatment such as zero delay feedback or non-linearities.

Also, the patch system of the JX-10/MKS-70 is a mess (one bank of TONES, of which the PATCHES are selecting up to two for each patch), having the effect that changes to a given TONE can affect multiple patches in the synth.

I would like to come up with something better (e.g. storing both module A and B parameters in each patch) but still being able to import and export JX-10 sysex banks.

But my first priority clearly is to get the PG-8X finally fixed and officially released (including web page, manual, preset zone, ...).

Cheers,
Martin

martin_l wrote:
robohymn wrote:Hi Martin, I love this plugin, really sounds like the hardware. I know you're still at beta stage with it, but was just wondering if you're considering expanding it into a second JX-10 emulation plugin? since JX-10s are just two JX-8Ps in one. Obviously you can run two PG8X instances together but the JX-10 does a bit more than just play two JX-8P sounds side by side.

I am considering a future "MLS-70", which would basically be two "PG-8X" in one box. But don't hold your breath just now. I am extremely busy with my day job and am already struggling finding the time to fix the remaining bugs in the PG-8X (see above for all the reports...)

It also will not be that straight forward to implement. Firstly, even though the board uses the same components, the filters of the MKS-70 (and probably also JX-10) seem to be driven further to self-oscillation than in the JX-8P. I have to check how far I can push my current filters, which due to the tame behaviour of the JX-8P did not require special treatment such as zero delay feedback or non-linearities.

Also, the patch system of the JX-10/MKS-70 is a mess (one bank of TONES, of which the PATCHES are selecting up to two for each patch), having the effect that changes to a given TONE can affect multiple patches in the synth.

I would like to come up with something better (e.g. storing both module A and B parameters in each patch) but still being able to import and export JX-10 sysex banks.

But my first priority clearly is to get the PG-8X finally fixed and officially released (including web page, manual, preset zone, ...).

Cheers,
Martin
Maybe do a kick starter so you can set aside more time to develop it - Id chip in...

AU compatible too :)

Thanks for the reply, Martin, your position makes sense. I wasn't aware of the different filters between the two; that's interesting.

I've been using a very old application called "jxedit" to translate my self-made JX-10 patches into two separate JX-8P formatted patches to load into separate PG8X instances with decent results in imitating a JX-10, but you're right, there would have to be a lot more to "true" JX-10 emu. jxedit will translate either way, it also does JX-8P to JX-10, so I can load 8P patches into one "voice" of the JX-10 also. (Just a heads-up for users of PG8X who could use that functionality, you can find it at super-jx.com under "Utilities"; it means you can take any of the many JX-10 banks found on that site and turn them easily into two patches for PG8X, so it expands available patches considerably).

Even if it takes a long while to get things finished, or even if you leave it as it is, the work you've done is already great and very useful imo. Thanks again and all the best. (BTW, I'd chip in on a Kickstarter, also :wink: )

EDIT: turns out jx-edit isn't hosted at the above link anymore, you can find it here if anyone wants it:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141021024 ... utils.html

Hi, I just installed PG8X after hearing it on YouTube.
I'll be using the VST of it on Mac (AbeLive).
?? Questions for tech-idiots like me:

- Which presets do I download for Mac/VST?

and

- Where do I put them in my System folder? (If there's no included Read-Me that explains...)

Has anyone been compiling the various available preset sets separately (maybe Zipped...) for each setup, i.e., PC/VST, Mac/VST, Mac/AU?

Thanks in advance!

- pbass

P.S. I was just experimenting, and downloaded
'factory.fxb'
from this page: https://sites.google.com/site/mlvst0/

PG8X (Mac/VST) wouldn't load this file;
in fact, in the Load dialog it was greyed out.

Is an .fxb file supposed to work on both PC & Mac? Or are there different versions for each platform??

Thanks in advance,

- pbass

pbass, that "factory.fxb" is for previous version of PG8X which is Windows x86 only btw. It doesn't work with the new version of PG8X, either OSX or Windows version. :wink:
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Return to “Instruments”