MIDI feedback for MIDI link controls

Official support for: www.squaredheads.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been thinking about using Nora's MIDI link option, and I think its great in conjunction with Launchpad. The only thing lacking is feedback (to Launchpad). Can Nora be set to send out once per second the same note & channel that is linked to pattern editor control? That will provide feedback with lauchpad at least.

I dont see a workaround for this using any external plugins or tricks, because without the same feedback from Nora no external plugin will know what pattern is playing inside Nora now… So I have to ask for this feature.

Yes, I can do that. The launchpad is in my to-do list. However, I'd like to know more about it:
- Is the launchpad sending only MIDI Note On? or SysEx?
- I'm sure it works with pages, does it sends any MIDI message when it switch pages? (it would be useful to avoid sending the notes in each cycle).
- Are you 100% the feedback is working with just Note On?

I've sold my "big" Lauchpad half a year ago and will be getting Mini in a few days, but I do remember some things. After buying I will provide any additional information you want.

The answers (as far as I remember) are:
- Launchpad can work in different modes, but in User1 and User2 modes it sends and receives notes at channel 1.
- Switching pages is an option of "Standard" mode, in which does not send notes, just controls Ableton in some way…
- Yes, feedback works when you send note to Launchpad (in User mode 1 or 2).

More information can be found here. See the youtube video there.

If Nora will send out same notes at the same channel they are received, we can filter them out and reroute them back to Launchpad, thats how I see it: receive note at channel 1 from LP, convert to channel 16, send to Nora, get feedback, convert back to ch1, send to LP...

Thanks for the video. In User1 and User2, can be programmed the buttons to switch pages? (by programming them by sending an CC/Sysex). I will take a look to it to attempt to provide total support - if it not possible due to time limitations, I will enable an option to send note feedback.

Got mine Launchpad mini.

I forgot that User1\User2 modes are functional ONLY in Ableton. When plugged into Reaper, Launchpad transmits notes and CCs at channel 1 according to the following scheme. All the buttons are shown. Buttons highlight when receive note_on and turn off at note_off. CCs transmit 127 at press and 0 at depress and highlight the same way.
Launchpad mapping.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

So, the launchpad automatically detects it's working with Live (using the driver I assume)? Or do you have to trigger any software/hardware switch?

Anyway, if it supports MIDI Feedback (and I see it does) and the buttons assignment is fixed to that, I could pre-map Nora for it. Which channel does it use to send the Notes and CC? Can it be switched?

There are no switches or buttons other than shown above. So I think there's some sysex call-response or whatever.

As I've said, it's premapped to channel 1 and there's no option (even via bootloader) to change that (only ID and lightness is changeable). The notes in this "default mode" cannot be changed/transposed either…

Still, I would prefer not pre-mapping, but just the feedback feature — Nora sending out once a second (= blink) the same note that is assigned to midi-control of a pattern. I always forgot to write that! ))) It depends on how you plan to realize pre-mapping, though…

Probably the ROW PLAY should light for a second and then dim, but patterns are better to be blinking... You can think something more convenient, I don mind :)

About the feedback: The only think I dont have clear enough is, does the button work as a toggle or push buttons? In other words, if when you send a SHORT midi note to the Launchpad, does the button highlight forever? Or as soon the note ends the button unhighlight?

Another question: can you switch to that vanilla mode when using Live? So Live & Nora users could take advantage from it too if I develop my idea of dynamic premap.

Buttons are push-buttons, and they light up on note_on & dim on note_off. Short midi note (which presumes note-off existing) to the button will give a short blink.
Or as soon the note ends the button unhighlight?
Correct.
Another question: can you switch to that vanilla mode when using Live?
2016-03-18_154651.png
If you remove Launchpad from Control surface section in Ableton, it will work exactly in "vanilla" mode as I described.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Also, I've noticed some strange Nora behavoiur with midi mapping controls: it reacts twice to the same note (I suppose, treating note-off as a note), resulting in immediate conflict. The midi monitor shows that input is correct, it's Nora's bug.

And bingo — another bug, cannot save the project.
2016-03-18_223406.png

Hi, yes, I've already fixed the first bug you noticed (note off triggering patterns) and it will be avaliable in the next bug fix release.

However, could you tell me step by step how did you reproduce the second bug?

Well, I found out why: somehow local user was not listed in access list to this file, all the other files created in the same directory (/ProgramData/Squareheads/Projects) had. Strange. Probably you will have to give user some better explanation of this error.

mmmh.... Nora does not alter in any way your computer setup, it only writes the files and the information of the path in the windows registry for uninstall purpose. Close your DAW, and then right click its shortcut then choose "Run as admin" and try to save. Let me know if this solves the problem.

I have fixed it already (when I was writing to you about the culprit of the error) by adding my user to access list of that file and saved all right.

Return to “Squaredheads”