Mulab's CPU efficiency ...

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am not getting involved in the arguments but I just want to say that M7 playing the exact same project as M6, all Mux instruments and fx is showing the following,
Using Mulabs CPU MAX readout...
M7 = 64 %
M6 = 77 %
So, if nothing else, it shows that Mulab and or Mux is getting more efficient.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No VSTs were harmed in the making of this project
Beauty is only skin deep,
Ugliness, however, goes right the way through

bibz1st wrote:I am not getting involved in the arguments but I just want to say that M7 playing the exact same project as M6, all Mux instruments and fx is showing the following,
Using Mulabs CPU MAX readout...
M7 = 64 %
M6 = 77 %
So, if nothing else, it shows that Mulab and or Mux is getting more efficient.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No VSTs were harmed in the making of this project
Yes, you are right, 15,1% in idle with M7. Image
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Sorry to bring this up again, but does anyone here know of a simple tool that shows the REAL loads on CPU cores?

I did some more testing today, using a Klanghelm compressor with 8x oversampling, which sent Mulab's CPU meter to 55% or so right away :D The compressor seems to be always on, even when there is no signal at all. As usual, the CPU cores showed nonsense loads. When I forced Mulab into a single core, the load on that core was the same as the load on EVERY core when I spread Mulab across all 6 cores :dog:

https://app.box.com/s/4ii2f90mfetduuofqboxlvuthmfcv2zt

What kind of music are you compressing? Hard or soft rock? Or metal?
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

:hihi:

And why Klanghelm? You said before that you use Toneboosters. They are more ergonomic.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

OS task manager is probably the most correct way of assessing CPU usage...

Michael L wrote:And why Klanghelm? You said before that you use Toneboosters. They are more ergonomic.
Yes, I like the TB stuff, I use it on individual tracks, and the Klanghelm on the master track, for which the TB track essentials are not really intended.
I am not complaining about CPU usage as such, I only use oversampling when mixing down. But I turned it on for my experiments because the Klanghelm causes a continuously high load without fluctuation.

EvilDragon wrote:OS task manager is probably the most correct way of assessing CPU usage...
Not in Windows it seems :hihi: Judging from the W task manager I have no clue whatsoever how occupied my cores really are, as the screenshot comparison shows.

Some points:

Idle time can be higher due to the vst loaded. They continue to process in the background. In your tests, set your vsts to shut off while idle.

Leaving some vst windows open can raise the CPU usage due to GUIs being updated. Make sure they are all closed.

Before buying Mulab, I tested it against Reaper. I loaded a few identical projects of four tracks and compared CPU usage. Projects were all plugins, no audio tracks. Mulab was always within 1% of Reaper's usage, either higher or lower. Or identical.

Between Mulab 6 and 7, usage has pretty much been identical.

Basically, I liked Reaper, except that I was spending more time futzing with the layout, trying to make it do what I wanted than making music. Mulab had just enough features that I had to have, plus the MUXes thrown in, and the layout is simple and easy to understand. I have been enjoying every minute of it! While you may have to challenge Jo to arm wrestling to get your favorite feature added in, he's very responsive on this board and does actually consider your requests.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Yes, I am aware it is not an efficiency issue as such, we have already settled that. The problem is simply that I have no idea how much CPU power is actually being used under Mulab because unfortunately it handles these things differently compared to other DAW's, leading to bogus values on the Windows task manager core meters.

/.,mn
Last edited by solipsvs on Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well, I am not as frustrated as you obviously, I don't really have anything to do with the crowd here, basically it seems I am only dealing with Jo, whose way of thinking is certainly quite different from mine and many other people's. Yet, for the most part Mulab is quite useful to me. There are only few things I am not happy with, like that CPU mess, the tiny fonts, the odd labels, etc. That's why I use only the DAW sequencing part of Mulab, I don't feel like dealing with the whole modular thing. I use only third-party instruments and effects in order to stay independent from Mulab.

And when I finally get my new computer I won't have to worry about CPU usage anymore, either. But for the time being I still do because of my old AMD processor :P So it would be nice to be able to reliably check any time how far I still am from reaching my computer's limits...

fluffy_little_something wrote:So it would be nice to be able to reliably check any time how far I still am from reaching my computer's limits...
What's wrong with MuLab's CPU meter? It gives you a good indication of where you are, CPU usage wise. You don't even need to switch to task manager.

Isn't task manager's CPU meter supposed to be the most accurate one there is?

Return to “MUTOOLS”