Cumulus CM

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

XComposer wrote:... It's a real gem.
+1

Thanks for the praise, guys. I'm just finishing up another read-through of Microsound by Curtis Roads, a venture which has given me some great ideas for expanding Cumulus.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

The great Curtis Roads… I remember myself reading with great attention a book by him when I was just starting to study computer music. Great reading.

I hope you don't mind, but I would like to tell you how I use Cumulus: I use it as a sort of "microscope for sounds", so to speak. I like to explore the details of a sound, the same way I like to take macro photos. Cumulus helps me to observe and to show others (when used in my compositions) the beauty in the smallest details of a live recorded sound sample, by playing it really very slowly, freezing when the most beautiful instants occur, "magnifying" even the tiniest feature, or analyzing the sound spectrum of just some very short instants… This is why I requested for a narrow, steep bandpass filter to be added to it: the "speed" and "grain size" parameters help me to focus on a little part of the sound along the horizontal dimension (time), while a bandpass filter would allow to focus on a little part of the sound along the vertical dimension (frequency). It would be a perfect "sound microscope", for me!
And I really think that including the "freeze" function as a "zero speed" within a continuum from negative (backwards) speed to positive (forward) speed is a great feature, unique to this software. Almost all the others have a "freeze" function that can be activated with a dedicated button, just "freeze" or "don't freeze", while considering freezing as "zero speed" is much more logical and useful, in my opinion.

Thanks XComposer: that's a really interesting write up.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Hi Colin

Can you send me a link to download the last version of cumulus ? I m reinstalling my computer and the last version i have is from CM206 !

thx

clement

Still the best magware ever IMHO :tu:

Thanks lnikj. I must admit though, I do prefer the updated version in development that is (slowly) taking progress!

And lxegs, check your PM for the latest public release.

I'm going to use Cumulus quite a lot in these days. It's great and unique, I agree with Inikj and I'm also glad that there will be a further development!

Hey Colin,

I have Cumulus CM 1.0.0 from CM195 but it fails to even install from the MKPG on my new 10.11.6 system. Can the updated installer remedy that?

Good to hear that it's getting some dev attention. Indispensable tool to me, one of those things that make you wonder: "why hasn't anyone thought of that before?"

Thanks ariston.

Hello Colin, I'm also based on a Linux system (both 32 and 64 bit Linux Mint) and there is no chance to get the Cumulus CM in the CM Vault 235 (Autums 2016, only PC and Mac there). Would you be so kind to PM me the linux version?

Thanks,

Alberto

colin@loomer wrote:I must admit though, I do prefer the updated version in development that is (slowly) taking progress!
Hey Colin, would multiple outputs be something that might be considered for an updated version? (Remember suggesting a few years back that a 'Pro-version' with this feature might be invaluable :) )

@AZZIN - of course, Alberto; please check your private messages.

@taoyoyo - I need to revisit my multiple outputs research, but you asked so nicely so I can't see why not!

colin@loomer wrote: @taoyoyo - I need to revisit my multiple outputs research, but you asked so nicely so I can't see why not!
... Thanks Sir!

Return to “Loomer”