UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

padillac wrote:Is there a way to tell my host (Renoise) what the host automation names are? I set a host automation mod in Falcon, and it shows up as "Detune" in Falcon, but "Host Automation 1" in Renoise's instrument automation device. I would LOVE for the name to show up as "Detune" in Renoise... it would make things really clear.
hah! Automation name changes get picked up when using the VST version (I was using AudioUnit).

I am officially in synth heaven...

I have a FR : in the sample module/apply Fx : the possibility to paste a fx preset
cheers

Is there a way to make layer and/or program multi envelopes trigger with a keypress? The trigger mode doesn't seem to matter – the multi envelope just loops constantly.

I have a layer set up with effects... and I want to follow it up with a filter that's modulated by a multi envelope. But I can't do that if the envelope is looping, instead of getting triggered on keypress.

Right now the only thing I can think of is to assign the cutoff to host automation and do it there. But I'm really really hoping I can do this with a Falcon envelope instead!

padillac wrote:Is there a way to make layer and/or program multi envelopes trigger with a keypress? The trigger mode doesn't seem to matter – the multi envelope just loops constantly.

I have a layer set up with effects... and I want to follow it up with a filter that's modulated by a multi envelope. But I can't do that if the envelope is looping, instead of getting triggered on keypress.

Right now the only thing I can think of is to assign the cutoff to host automation and do it there. But I'm really really hoping I can do this with a Falcon envelope instead!
Please read the FAQ thread, envelopes/LFOs/step sequencers only re-trigger oh keygroup level, not on layer nor on program level.

aMUSEd wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Funny how audio rate modulation is the new black,
I think Reaktor started the current trend with Blocks, obviously inspired by the modular trend.
I thought it was u-he with ACE.
Propellerheads Thor could use any of its oscillators as an audio rate modulator, back in 2007 when it was released...

Sampleconstruct wrote:
padillac wrote:Is there a way to make layer and/or program multi envelopes trigger with a keypress? The trigger mode doesn't seem to matter – the multi envelope just loops constantly.

Please read the FAQ thread, envelopes/LFOs/step sequencers only re-trigger oh keygroup level, not on layer nor on program level.

:clown: bookmarked...

I gotta figure there's some way to do this in Falcon though, right? It's so programmable...

Here's what I'm trying to do:

1. Add reverb to my sound (done in a layer)
2. Filter the complete sound, with a controlled envelope (i.e. starts when / where I want it to...)

Is there really no way to do that within Falcon? I gotta use host automation for the filter?

padillac wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:

:clown: bookmarked...

I gotta figure there's some way to do this in Falcon though, right? It's so programmable...

Here's what I'm trying to do:

1. Add reverb to my sound (done in a layer)
2. Filter the complete sound, with a controlled envelope (i.e. starts when / where I want it to...)

Is there really no way to do that within Falcon? I gotta use host automation for the filter?
You could e.g. assign the cutoff to a Macro and assign that Macro to the modulation wheel, or assign the cutoff directly to the modulation wheel (or aftertouch or any other midi controller number), but you would still need to move/automate the wheel/controller - there is no way to use a re-triggering envelope/per note played neither on layer nor or program level.

The default behavior of Falcon is that when you hold the sustain pedal and hit the same key (note) repeatedly it plays stacks up the polyphony playing the same note over the top of it self multiple times. Anybody know of a way change this behavior so that triggering the same note again if it's already playing will silence the previous playing note? I still want it polyphonic, but just if the same note is triggered multiple times repeatedly it silences the previous note before playing again, so that it's not stacked up on itself. Is a script the only thing that could do this?

In Thor I could do something similar to this (though not exactly the same) by turning down the "Release Polyphony" setting to 0, while keeping the regular polyphony at a higher number, such as 8. Also, I think Halion has a mode where it enables this type of behavior.

Any ideas? I'm making guitar type patches and it sounds unnatural to have the same note playing over the top of itself.

Thanks!

jacobh wrote:The default behavior of Falcon is that when you hold the sustain pedal and hit the same key (note) repeatedly it plays stacks up the polyphony playing the same note over the top of it self multiple times. Anybody know of a way change this behavior so that triggering the same note again if it's already playing will silence the previous playing note? I still want it polyphonic, but just if the same note is triggered multiple times repeatedly it silences the previous note before playing again, so that it's not stacked up on itself. Is a script the only thing that could do this?

In Thor I could do something similar to this (though not exactly the same) by turning down the "Release Polyphony" setting to 0, while keeping the regular polyphony at a higher number, such as 8. Also, I think Halion has a mode where it enables this type of behavior.

Any ideas? I'm making guitar type patches and it sounds unnatural to have the same note playing over the top of itself.

Thanks!
You would have to setup a monophonic layer per key, duplicate layers in list view and map each layer, set polyphony in the inspector.

Ahhhh! finally someone that i can share my dirty tricks with! :hihi:
i have felt your pain. here's what i do, and it works like a charm:

1. add an oscillator... eg. Analog as a keygroup. (view this as a dummy/control oscillator as it will not be used directly to make a sound)
2. set the gain value of this 'control' keygroup to negative infinity (effectively muted but still active)
3. right click the gain knob of this keygroup and in the menu select 'Add Modulation/Layer/New Multi Envelope'

...and hey presto! you now have a layer level Multi Envelope which behaves as you would expect.
an added benefit of this technique is that by adjusting the keyboard mapping range of your inaudible 'control' keygroup, you can control precisely which keys will trigger your Multi Envelope modulation

... and you can of course add more control keygroups like this as well

the3ug3reeder wrote:

Ahhhh! finally someone that i can share my dirty tricks with! :hihi:
i have felt your pain. here's what i do, and it works like a charm:

1. add an oscillator... eg. Analog as a keygroup. (view this as a dummy/control oscillator as it will not be used directly to make a sound)
2. set the gain value of this 'control' keygroup to negative infinity (effectively muted but still active)
3. right click the gain knob of this keygroup and in the menu select 'Add Modulation/Layer/New Multi Envelope'

...and hey presto! you now have a layer level Multi Envelope which behaves as you would expect.
an added benefit of this technique is that by adjusting the keyboard mapping range of your inaudible 'control' keygroup, you can control precisely which keys will trigger your Multi Envelope modulation

... and you can of course add more control keygroups like this as well

Thank you so much!

I wanted to believe it would work, but I didn't think it would. I tried it, and saw the envelope, and was hopeful... but it still wasn't modulating the target parameter. When I changed the trigger mode from retrigger to legato... it worked like a charm

:party:

My pleasure!
:)

the3ug3reeder wrote:an added benefit of this technique is that by adjusting the keyboard mapping range of your inaudible 'control' keygroup, you can control precisely which keys will trigger your Multi Envelope modulation
Yesssss this is awesome.

So, I'm able to do one of the first things I thought about when I first got falcon – and that's to play different envelopes based on the velocity. With this method, it's pretty simple. Just set up the dummy oscillator in a keygroup with the velocity range I want.

I'll admit I'm happy with this. It's a bit long-winded, and I'm worried that having all these unused oscillators will eat up CPU power (I've just tried the idea to work it out technically, but haven't applied it to the sounds I want). Can you think of another way where I can set a specific envelope to play to a certain velocity? If not, I'm sure I can make do with this... :)

edit: I guess if I'm doing this velocity technique, I probably don't have to worry about CPU too much – only one dummy oscillator will be used at a given velocity, it's not like they're all getting triggered at once...

padillac wrote:
the3ug3reeder wrote:an added benefit of this technique is that by adjusting the keyboard mapping range of your inaudible 'control' keygroup, you can control precisely which keys will trigger your Multi Envelope modulation
Yesssss this is awesome.

So, I'm able to do one of the first things I thought about when I first got falcon – and that's to play different envelopes based on the velocity. With this method, it's pretty simple. Just set up the dummy oscillator in a keygroup with the velocity range I want.

I'll admit I'm happy with this. It's a bit long-winded, and I'm worried that having all these unused oscillators will eat up CPU power (I've just tried the idea to work it out technically, but haven't applied it to the sounds I want). Can you think of another way where I can set a specific envelope to play to a certain velocity? If not, I'm sure I can make do with this... :)

edit: I guess if I'm doing this velocity technique, I probably don't have to worry about CPU too much – only one dummy oscillator will be used at a given velocity, it's not like they're all getting triggered at once...
If you stack keygroups horizontally/on velocity level and then use a different envelope (e.g. multi-env) for each of those stacked keygroups, but that's of course not on layer level so you wont be able to e.g. control a filter cutoff with the filter inserted post reverb on layer level.

Different envelopes based on velocity... For that IMHO it's easier to duplicate the keygroup, adjust its velocity ranges, and have the envelope set up differently...

Return to “Instruments”