MspectralDynamics

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yeah great video!

Took me 3-4 years to feel comfortable overall with all Melda vst (and still learning... every update; Ill have to try MPhatik more seriously one day)

I think the ''visual vs ear'' thread concern more people that are beginning with mixing; overwhelmed by too much information, instruments relationship, etc. mixing by ''eyes'' can feel 'safe'. Though I found that ''singing/humming'' as I said notes I like or dont is a fast way to know how I ''feel'' about what I'm hearing

Singing/humming helps alot to learn 'hz' property/sound fast, which help to improve detailed listening abilities

Visual is a fast way to spot where problematic area can be, but once Im in the problematic spot, only ear can decide what I want to achieve emotionally I think (except as I said very lows, and some mud area too clustered to hear well)

As for the listening environment (cars vs house vs headphones etc.) I think you should first stick on the one medium you would like most to hear your song (otherwise, you can feel confused about how to approach your mix). I prefer listening music on my speakers, so trying to over-compromise a mix for headphones too could end up in 2 ''acceptable'' listening experience, instead of 1 amazing, and 1 ''ok'' listening experience (anyway, you can offer 2 or more mix of a song on itunes/spot/soundcloud/bandcamp etc, which I think will be common in near future since loudness war has mainly ended)

Sounds great. Do you also find MXXX fast and intuitive to use?
I try the demo regularly whenever there's a new effect I want to try but I do find it rather cluttered.
The single effects seem easier to use, with a more clear overview. But of course the flexibility of MXXX is vast yes.

I definitively prefer single instances for mixing.

I totally agree as you say that MXXX can feel cluttered, and I dont like the fact you have to shift-click each time you want to open an fx (unless I'm missing a new feature?). I think for fast workflow one-click should open fx windows directly as in most DAW, and 'shift-click' bypass it. 'click-drag' to move. A choice for a reduced window (minimal as with Patchwork from Bluecat) would be great

For pads-sound design MXXX is great, but if you use 3rd party (like the incredible soundtoys stuff) it wont be a good option

As for MYYY, I think I'll cry the day it will be released (watchout, it could generate a black hole)

I prefer MXXX because of the complex routing. Also FX can share modulators and multiparameters unlike with single instances. I don't find it cluttered, when clicking an FX with the mouse wheel button it opens it in a pop-up window, which is like using the single instance, but with the benefits of having it contained within the beast.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Yeah, I use single instances for most things as the interface is cleaner and I usually have a specific purpose in mind. However, I'm finding I'm using MXXX more and more as I find more interesting uses for modulation, effect chains and how they can all interact... especially with Phatik. The fact that you can open the standalone effects' presets in the MXXX versions is incredibly helpful, so if i decide to migrate an effect over to MXXX, i can just save it as a 'temp' preset and then load that up in the MXXX version. Urgh, it's so awesome!

I am also starting to use shift-click to open modules separately more, but personally I wouldn't want that to be the default, it would quickly become a nightmare for me. I prefer to minimize things, you can now minimize the effect matrix view which helps.

Curious to know what Vojtech is up to, he's been quiet for a while now.

Thanks for your thoughts on using MXXX. I've used the demo today and really love working with it. Actually I didn't know that you have a whole fx matrix for each band! That's insane! And I thought you had to use the crossover module to split the signal into bands.
I'm so tempted to buy MXXX now that it's on sale but I can't afford it ATM. It sounds like it's nice to have the single effects too so I guess I'll save up for the Total bundle when it's on sale again.
astramistil wrote: ...I think for fast workflow one-click should open fx windows directly as in most DAW, and 'shift-click' bypass it. 'click-drag' to move...
I agree. This is more intuitive.

The 'problem' with using the global bands as opposed to the crossover module, is that there is no way to route all of the global bands together and then do something after that. I guess you could open up another MXXX afterwards and do your global stuff in that, but personally i'd prefer a sort of 'master' tab or something that shows the outputs of each of the global bands that you could then do something with. I think i asked for this a while ago, but i admit it's going to add even more confusion to a very, very complex tool.

Anyway, because of this, I tend to just stick with using the crossover module, and then I can put a mixer after I've done whatever i wanted to, bringing it all back to one 'wire' again, and then do whatever with the output of that.

Yes same here. I never use the global crossover, only the module crossover.
In fact in my opinion it makes no sense to have the global crossover in MXXX the only benefit is the set crossovers by frequency feature which doesn't exist in the module.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Hmmm, MSpectralDynamics thread talking about MXXX :D. Anyways the global crossover is there for historial sake, and sometimes it can be very useful, especially if you want to do something completely different to each band.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

jmg8 wrote:Yes same here. I never use the global crossover, only the module crossover.
In fact in my opinion it makes no sense to have the global crossover in MXXX the only benefit is the set crossovers by frequency feature which doesn't exist in the module.
Why don't you use the global crossover? Is it only because you cannot combine the bands again later?
I find it very logic and clear visually. If only there was a way to combine the bands again so that they can share the same reverb, for example.
I was just using MXXX and couldn't find any way to do this. Then I googled it and saw that you were talking about it right here :dog: :)

Please keep the global crossover Vojtech and make a band mixer or something like that!
Last edited by Soarer on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vectorwarrior wrote:...The fact that you can open the standalone effects' presets in the MXXX versions is incredibly helpful, so if i decide to migrate an effect over to MXXX, i can just save it as a 'temp' preset and then load that up in the MXXX version. Urgh, it's so awesome!
How do you save it as a temp preset? I cannot import my single plugin preset into MXXX?

All presets should be available, so for example you should be able to open spectral dynamics presets in the spectral dynamics module in mxxx. The key thing is to click on the correct preset button, I'm not at a computer currently, let me get you a screenshot.

As for temp, oh, I just make a preset called 'temp' in every plugin that I always use for this purpose. I just overwrite it every time. It is pretty handy.

Here's the screenshot... so the top preset button loads MXXX presets, the preset below that is the MXXX band preset, and below that is the preset window for the specific module you have selected. This last one is where you can load presets from the standalone versions.
MXXX.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

...hey VW!, quick off topic, how are you doing your screen shots and editing?.../s~
mba m2 15" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
mbp i9 16" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
logic10.8.1  | reaper7.07 | focusrite.2i2

Thanks vectorwarrior. I didn't know there were band presets - great!
But I still cannot see any presets in MXXX (demo). I save a preset in MultibandGranular, also as a band preset but its nowhere to be found in MXXX.

Return to “MeldaProduction”