UVI Falcon - hybrid instrument - version 3.01 released - rumors, ads, praise, mud wrestling and off-topic inside!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

re CPU usage, i think you're right. for my purposes at least, it's negligible.

re the the Multi Envelope only having an effect when it's set to Legato Trigger mode... I think this must be a BUG!
or perhaps it's some Falcon logic that i don't yet understand.

the3ug3reeder wrote:
padillac wrote:Is there a way to make layer and/or program multi envelopes trigger with a keypress? The trigger mode doesn't seem to matter – the multi envelope just loops constantly.

I have a layer set up with effects... and I want to follow it up with a filter that's modulated by a multi envelope. But I can't do that if the envelope is looping, instead of getting triggered on keypress.

Right now the only thing I can think of is to assign the cutoff to host automation and do it there. But I'm really really hoping I can do this with a Falcon envelope instead!
Ahhhh! finally someone that i can share my dirty tricks with! :hihi:
i have felt your pain. here's what i do, and it works like a charm:

1. add an oscillator... eg. Analog as a keygroup. (view this as a dummy/control oscillator as it will not be used directly to make a sound)
2. set the gain value of this 'control' keygroup to negative infinity (effectively muted but still active)
3. right click the gain knob of this keygroup and in the menu select 'Add Modulation/Layer/New Multi Envelope'

...and hey presto! you now have a layer level Multi Envelope which behaves as you would expect.
an added benefit of this technique is that by adjusting the keyboard mapping range of your inaudible 'control' keygroup, you can control precisely which keys will trigger your Multi Envelope modulation

... and you can of course add more control keygroups like this as well
Great hack! Tried it with all sorts of different types of envelopes and it worked with all of them in retrigger/legato mode. I'll add this workaround to the FAQs and then ask the devs why this works :clap:

the3ug3reeder wrote:
re the the Multi Envelope only having an effect when it's set to Legato Trigger mode... I think this must be a BUG!
or perhaps it's some Falcon logic that i don't yet understand.
Well it works fine here, no bug in sight.

oohhhh i feel so proud of myself!
:)

when talk to the devs you should ask the why it does NOT work in retrigger mode (as padillac pointed out). it on SEEMS to. in retrigger mode, the Multi Envelope moves but it has no effect.
at least for me.

the3ug3reeder wrote:oohhhh i feel so proud of myself!

when talk to the devs you should ask the why it does NOT work in retrigger mode (as padillac pointed out). it on SEEMS to. in retrigger mode, the Multi Envelope moves but it has no effect.
at least for me.
But multi-envelopes (and all the others) do work in retrigger mode on layer level, I can't detect the bug you're talking about.

EvilDragon wrote:Different envelopes based on velocity... For that IMHO it's easier to duplicate the keygroup, adjust its velocity ranges, and have the envelope set up differently...
Daaaaaaang. Okay. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to tweak oscillators and effects after setting up the keygroups. But it turns out that selecting a layer will modify all of the oscillators and effects together.

Okay. I'm gonna need to get some sleep. And then tomorrow mess around with velocity-based envelopes... and then really dig into the manual to understand how this thing works.

I've been making good use of it already, but I guess it's even more powerful than I thought!

Sampleconstruct wrote:

at least for me.
But multi-envelopes (and all the others) do work in retrigger mode on layer level, I can't detect the bug you're talking about.
Maybe you can upload a patch? Because it definitely didn't work when I did it. Legato, yes - retrigger, no

Sampleconstruct wrote:

at least for me.
Ahh, I see - it depends on what you want to modulate, I assigned the volume of an oscillator to the envelope on layer level, that works fine in retrigger mode, now I just assigned reverb decay time to the same envelope and that does not retrigger and will only work in legato mode (basically behaving like a non-retriggering modulator). So that must be the normal limitation of effects/filters inserted on layer level, they simply can't be re-triggered. So your hack is very helpful for some things but doesn't change the basic behaviour of other things.

I asked the devs about it and here is the answer:
There are two distinct stuff.
You can always create on the Program or Layer level envelopes that will be triggered with per voice parameter.
It allows to share the same envelope definition across multiple layers.

The trick here is to use a fake per voice modulation to actually trigger the envelope on the layer which then will be used on a layer fx parameter for example.
This is not supported though as this is a hack but it currently works.

Hope this clarify things.

Sampleconstruct wrote:I asked the devs about it and here is the answer:
There are two distinct stuff.
You can always create on the Program or Layer level envelopes that will be triggered with per voice parameter.
It allows to share the same envelope definition across multiple layers.

The trick here is to use a fake per voice modulation to actually trigger the envelope on the layer which then will be used on a layer fx parameter for example.
This is not supported though as this is a hack but it currently works.

Hope this clarify things.
oh man!
they better not take this out! this is one of my favorite tricks!!!

What do you mean by "fake per voice modulation to actually trigger the envelope on the layer"?

the3ug3reeder, your hack works so good, thanks !
(with an osc drum, the cpu cost is really low)

Sampleconstruct wrote:
jacobh wrote:The default behavior of Falcon is that when you hold the sustain pedal and hit the same key (note) repeatedly it plays stacks up the polyphony playing the same note over the top of it self multiple times. Anybody know of a way change this behavior so that triggering the same note again if it's already playing will silence the previous playing note? I still want it polyphonic, but just if the same note is triggered multiple times repeatedly it silences the previous note before playing again, so that it's not stacked up on itself. Is a script the only thing that could do this?

In Thor I could do something similar to this (though not exactly the same) by turning down the "Release Polyphony" setting to 0, while keeping the regular polyphony at a higher number, such as 8. Also, I think Halion has a mode where it enables this type of behavior.

Any ideas? I'm making guitar type patches and it sounds unnatural to have the same note playing over the top of itself.

Thanks!
You would have to setup a monophonic layer per key, duplicate layers in list view and map each layer, set polyphony in the inspector.
Hmm... that sounds like way too much work. I guess I'll have to try to write a script for it. Thanks for your reply!

Note polyphony in the Program section of ListView do that.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

By the way, you guys can simulate a legato LFO on non keygroup Parameter using the MIDI CC LFO script as well
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

Return to “Instruments”