No 37 key controllers - why, oh fu£$*in' why ??!!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can someone enlighten me what could be a reason behind it ?
Almost all new synths have 37 keys:

moog
novation
korg

Why ? Because it's a perfect combination of usability and portability.

25 is just not enough for me - and I'm not a keyboard player - but playing almost all melodies, I always miss that 2-3 keys. 4 octaves - I just don't like the idea - 4 ? then why not 5 ?

And a side note - who the fu$%*ck needs 8 knobs, 8 faders and 8 pads in a midi controller. Seriously.
How many of you touch these stupid pads.

I wish these companies could pull their fingers out and create an affordable controller, ideal for analogue modelled synths - 37 keys and, let's say - 24 knobs. Same price, so much better...

From what I know - there is ONE midi controller with full size keys and reasonable quality - from IK Multimedia, but it has no knobs.

AAARRRGGGHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like 37... I use my Analog Keys as a midi controller.

The Roland A300 Pro has 37 keys, very nice keys and some knobs and faders. Is also kind of small compared to other brands
dedication to flying

look for a novation remote 37sl (think there is a mkii, but can't remember for sure)... 16 knobs, 8 faders, some buttons + transport and yes (iirc) some pads you can ignore (since they suck anyways, at least they did on the sl25), the keys feel great and are full-size. it's somewhat large (well, i had a 25, and it was pretty deep for a 25 key controller) but it does have a lot of controls.... should be pretty cheap these days too, if you look used...

rod_zero wrote:The Roland A300 Pro has 37 keys, very nice keys and some knobs and faders. Is also kind of small compared to other brands
'fraid that only has 32 keys, 2 and a bit octaves...

Agree with the OP initially, was looking around for one just the other night. Would like something newer for Win10 compatiblility but looks like it's only the older models like that Novation that fit the bill.

However, I like a few pads on a keyboard too. I like the idea of an all-in-one controller for portability/less leads. I'm not a big pad user but 8 pads would make my separate controller redundant.

LOL never had noticed the Roland only has 32 keys, what a strange number.

Maybe look for an Ultranova second hand, you get a synth and very good keys.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:LOL never had noticed the Roland only has 32 keys, what a strange number.
Every programmer will know it's easy to program - try this as your 3rd year project :hihi:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

PHassan wrote: And a side note - who the fu$%*ck needs 8 knobs, 8 faders and 8 pads in a midi controller. Seriously.
How many of you touch these stupid pads.
I agree. Every time I find a keyboard with a decent keybed, it's unnecessarily extended to make room for the pads. When I find one without pads, there are no knobs. Knobs don't take up that much room, and are more useful than the pads IMO. I settled on the IK 37 Pro and an Arturia Beatstep when I need knobs. The Korg nanocontrol also adds knobs and is a bit smaller, but I like the quality and feel of the knobs on the Beatstep.

Buy a synth with 37 keys and use it as a controller.

Bonus, you can also use it as a synth! ;)

CME X-key 37 ( with Poly AT )
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Novation Ultranova.

Michael L wrote:CME X-key 37 ( with Poly AT )
No knobs, and worse yet, not even a pitch bend or mod wheel. It does look small though.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”