Lethal vst?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Lethal

I payed from a European country. My paypal payment says $199,00 AUD which is roughly 100 Euro or $150 USD:

Out of curiosity I clicked the PP buy option and the currency exchange quoted was AUD. So there could currently be a mismatch.

I just checked the site myself and it comes up $199 AUD through PayPal, which according to currency conversion, come to $151 USD.
Intel Pentium I7-8700 64GB
Sonar, Ableton Live 9, Maschine, Zebra, Diva, Lush-101, DCAM Synth Squad, Synthmaster, Sylenth1, Komplete Ultimate, Steven Slate Drums, Rob Papen synths, Spire, Imposcar 2, Korg Legacy, Diversion, ABL Pro, Z3ta, Poly-Ana

tedannemann wrote:I payed from a European country. My paypal payment says $199,00 AUD which is roughly 100 Euro or $150 USD:
Well, they shouldn't say 199 USD on their front page (I'm based in Europe as well).

So is this a rompler then? I mean, they seem to call it a synthesizer in one of their vids, but I see no spec break down. As far as I can see it's only sampled based.

What made you buy it, with no demo out of interest?
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote:What made you buy it, with no demo out of interest?
Got the KVR newsletter, clicked on the link :?:, liked the simplicity of the interface :tu:, typed lethal audio synth into google, this thread came up, read all the conspiracy theories :o, loled very hard :D, bought the plugin :phones:.

Are they for real?

wagtunes wrote:Are they for real?
No, they faked their way into the KVR newsletter... :roll:*

*Caution: sarcasm!

tedannemann wrote:
Robmobius wrote:What made you buy it, with no demo out of interest?
Got the KVR newsletter, clicked on the link :?:, liked the simplicity of the interface :tu:, typed lethal audio synth into google, this thread came up, read all the conspiracy theories :o, loled very hard :D, bought the plugin :phones:.

Well at least for $150 that's a better price vs Nexus. The free packs are also a really good idea... :tu: Personally though, I'd not put cash into something that I couldn't at least demo, but that's just me.

Re. the conspiracy theories... In fairness, I think the fact that the company has not presented all the info that you'd expect for a vst so it has raised a few questions. I don't think they are malicious per se, but more frustrated (well some of them). :)

I think it sounds pretty cool...And the interface is streamlined which is fine. But if it's a rompler I'll just stick to what I have.

I mean, I still don't know if it has it's own Oscillators. I'd be pretty sure it does'nt, but because they've no in depth specs and have used the term synthesizer makes me curious. Just wish they'd put up a few specs and more sound demos. :?
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Library downloaded. Played every single preset.

I tried to count em, but after 1000 presets I lost interest in counting. ..
However I think the advertised 3000 presets contain the single drum shots in-between a drum preset as well. So it seems to be legit to say it features a library of over 3000 instruments(!) and presets.

It’s exactly the type of plugin I was expecting. Some sort of Nexus equivalent.

It’s definitely a „rompler“ and not what the average KVR follower would call a „synthesizer“.
I even would go this far and compare it to some sort of SoundFont player with additional features (eg. S1’s Presence or Zampler).
I don’t now if there are some sort of own oscillators under the hood, but you can’t change or control the osc(s) in any way. There are only presets and the AMP section you can see on the 3D rendering. There are no layering options as well (cp. Nexus). However there is some sort of basic saw sound which I could play without the library (cp. Nexus). There is a category called „Wave“ which contains a few basic waveforms.

Overall you can say: what you see is what you get (in terms of functionality). There are no exotic functions behind those tabs under the display/browser:

ARP = Classic arpeggiator
TG = Classic trance gate
FX = Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Phaser, Distortion, Equalizer, Bitcrusher
SOURCE = Amp/Filter/Pitch destinations for modulation wheel/aftertouch, pitchbend, tune, polyphony
SYSTEM = imprints and library path

Nexus is definitely the closest you can compare it to. So I would say if you laugh about Nexus you will even laugh harder about Lethal.
If you love Nexus you will even love Lethal more (I do).

I would describe Lethal as even more streamlined as Nexus. It misses the functions of Nexus nobody uses anyway (e.g. analyzer, modulation matrix).
I would call Lethal definitely a preset machine which literally can’t be more reduced to he point. Just load any preset and play it. That seems to be the main idea behind it.
No magic synthesis or innovative concept here. Just a pure working horse!

BTW: Could be interesting for guys who like to use some sort of Nexus without a dongle.

What I like about it:
The library, the presets, the sound. The library is just perfect! I have the feeling that the sound designer was a very experienced guy with real world releases.
This is the first synthesizer (I’ll still call it that way) I really liked every(!) single preset in it. There are no fillers at all. The presets are that good, that you can use them in any sort of EDM production right away.
We all experienced it. Thousands of presets but most of them sound like your cat had programmed them. All this (sometimes impressive) experimental stuff which didn’t make it onto the record in the end.
Not Lethal. This is simple and basic stuff but really really good. Sometimes there even aren’t any FX on it - just like you need it in your production.
With Nexus you often have to turn all the FX off to make the sound usable in context. Too much razzle-dazzle.
The sounds are somehow dry in Lethal but just usable.
It’s like a Rob Lee sound bank for Sylenth. Every single sound is an A+!
I didn’t want to turn any knobs, while playing the sounds. No need for it. Just ready to use. Very inspirational as well. It thinks that’s the strength of Lethal.
Best bread and butter EDM sound machine out there. With Sylenth you have to load different banks with different levels. In Nexus you have to turn off al the moving stuff (arpeggiators, fx, …) constantly.
I like the naming convention. Just Bass 001 to Bass 050 and so on. No „look how creative I am „-preset names. Just the name of what it is. That’s it, period. If you are producing music and you need some sort of strings, just go to strings - no searching at all - they are ready to use, ready to play with the perfect envelopes (we all know these 5s attacks on strings or pads, nobody really needs…), the perfect amount of FX.
I really love the pianos. All the good stuff in one place. M1, SY, the Roland 90s pianos, with the perfect amount of compression, FX and already EQed and ready to use.
Good drums, good strings and the pluck section is lovely as well.
Overall the sounds are very basic - no exotic stuff as well. But simply usable!
Oh yeah, and the simple chorder, nice one too.
And as I told in the before, the streamlined interface. Retina ready GUI.

What I don’t like:
The interface / GUI isn’t resizable. Due to the simple interface I would expect this from a synth in 2016.
Can’t load the presets via key commands which I think is crucial for a preset machine.
The Reverb.
Missing layering function
Missing compressor/limiter (maybe there is one under the hood, but I constantly was in the red)

No crashes, no freezing. Roughly the same CPU load as Nexus. Some minor graphic issues with the selection of the effects. A few buttons I had the feeling they don’t work.
But overall no show stoppers here. Tested it in S1, Bitwig and Reaper on Mac OS X 10.11.4.

Who could not be happy with it?
Synthesis enthusiasts
The average Zebra user
People with 10 followers on soundcloud
Nerds who are complaining about missing functions in Reaktor
People who love to beat about the bush
People who are too old and complaining about the term „EDM“

Who could be happy with it?
Any serious working pro in the EDM scene
The average Nexus user
Lazy people like me
The next Avicii
People who like to get to the point
Some sort of Tomorrowland cover band

Would I buy it again?
Anytime! I still call it a „no brainer“ in view of the huge amount of usable presets (I really mean it!). Best bread and butter EDM synth in my opinion. Compared to Nexus it's much cheaper. Compared to Sylenth, you can't really because it's a rompler, you have drums, pianos, strings and guitars as well - however always in sound context of EDM. So don't expect a realistic guitar or flute!

Conclusion: EDM police approved! :hihi:

PS: Sorry for my bad English!

tedannemann wrote:
Would I buy it again?
Anytime! I still call it a „no brainer“ in view of the huge amount of usable presets (I really mean it!). Best bread and butter EDM synth in my opinion. Compared to Nexus it's much cheaper. Compared to Sylenth, you can't really because it's a rompler, you have drums, pianos, strings and guitars as well - however always in sound context of EDM. So don't expect a realistic guitar or flute!

Thanks for the detailed overview...

Now at least we have some idea. Personally, I don't mind it being EDM oriented as I'd slap a load of distortion over everything anyway. Seems like it's a lot better value than Nexus (especially with the free packs). :) :tu:

Numanoid wrote:
fallacy wrote:You're a proper analyst Numanoid!
He he, I don't know about that l
Well, analyst is half right :hihi:
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

Can you load your own samples into it?

Robmobius wrote:
tedannemann wrote:
Would I buy it again?

Thanks for the detailed overview...

Now at least we have some idea. Personally, I don't mind it being EDM oriented as I'd slap a load of distortion over everything anyway. Seems like it's a lot better value than Nexus (especially with the free packs). :) :tu:
+1

:D

AnX wrote:Can you load your own samples into it?
No, I don't think so. It wouldn't make sense as there are no oscillator/sample/mapping/layering section.
It's a rompler all the way. Compare it to Nexus. No sample loading either.

Return to “Instruments”