What do you think about the new WD Purple ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Looking for a new low-noise HDD 2TB or 3TB

Its additionally drive for samples and audio

Sustained Transfer rate is not overly important since I will set it up
with a 120 GB SSD-cache, via Intels smart Response Technology,..

I was considering WD RED, spin-down is acceptable, but there is
head-park also after 8 sek, this can be sustained to 300 sek by a
nerdy dos-software, but not totally disabled, I don't like it

Now it seems there is a new PURPLE series, low noise like the RED's,
but on 24/7 without any interruption madness, since its made for
surveillance initially, what do you think about this ?????

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/S ... 800012.pdf
HM

24/7 is not a new ability with WD drives. I've been running blacks this way for years without any problems. Even a couple of blues and one green I think.

Now I see they have lowered the warranty period to just 2 years. Used to be 5. Now the purple is giving 3, but;

You went a bit deeper into the specs than I would have. As soon as I saw 5400RPM I was done.

To me this "purple" newness is just marketeers attempting a new revenue stream. I don't really see anything new to boast of with it.

To me, size matters, and what's the price for that size? It seems the purple costs a bit less, pound for pound, but the trade off is speed. Not worth the difference IMHO.
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Hi ,.. Thanks for replying

Last time I did build without SSD it was exactly a BLACK that was used, and I find it to noisy,..

Due to the before-mentioned 120 GB SSD-cache system for the drive I decided that 5400 RPM
will be easely tolerated, noise is top-priority, thus I was tuned in on the RED, but then found
out about the the head-park etc etc ,.. the PURPLE seems to be like the RED just without all
junk that I need to get rid of

Like said its for audio/video/samples ,.. (for OS-drive I got the new Samsung 950 Pro)

I decided to take a chance, and just ordered the 3TB PURPLE ,.. so lets see (WD30PURX)

Sustained transfer-rate is 145 MB/S ,... decent ,.. and only in question when/if the 120GB
cache runs dry, it only will on rare occasions becourse most files and rombler-sounds I will
need to open will be what is already in cache, simply becourse they are in the project that
is worked on now, and becourse the same favourite sounds are typically used in samplers
and romplers ,..

If everything fails me I will just use the drive as back-up
HM

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”