Question on MIDI Release velocity

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I had an Ensoniq EPS. It had polyAT, but not release velocity.

felis wrote:For the OP:
since the last post, I was pleased to see this reply from Arturia:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=454530
Thanks. :tu:

Seaboard Rise sends release velocity

This is interesting.

Does anyone know of any current synths/ROMplers that offer release velocity? Having played the Arturia hardware, I can say I don't like the feel of it in general. It's a bit "loose" for me, though I know others may love it. (And I do love their software synths.)

So for those of us looking to replace older synths/ROMplers with newer ones (like the Korg Kronos or Yamaha or Roland's top-of-the-line), does anyone know where we can find this info? I know that when Keyboard Magazine reviews synths and hardware controllers, they don't mention this. They'll mention if a synth doesn't transmit after-touch (or something you'd expect), but I don't recall them mentioning release velocity as part of a review.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Even the manufacturers usually don't include it in their specs. You really have to do some digging to find out.
I was on another forum that was fond of making lists, I should have kept the listing of boards that use RV, but I didn't.

Ones that come to mind are Access Virus, Clavia G2, most Alesis stuff (except their current cheap controllers), Waldorf,
some of the older Ensoniq boards, Kurzweil, and the Arturia Keylab boards mentioned above.

I just ordered a Keylab 49 yesterday - they've had a recent price drop.
Can't comment on it yet though. Won't get it till
later this week.

felis wrote:Even the manufacturers usually don't include it in their specs. You really have to do some digging to find out.
I was on another forum that was fond of making lists, I should have kept the listing of boards that use RV, but I didn't.

Ones that come to mind are Access Virus, Clavia G2, most Alesis stuff (except their current cheap controllers), Waldorf, some of the older Ensoniq boards, Kurzweil, and the Arturia Keylab boards mentioned above.

I just ordered a Keylab 49 yesterday - they've had a recent price drop.
Can't comment on it yet though. Won't get it till later this week.
I checked out the MIDI spec for my Kurzweil 2000, and it says it recognizes "Velocity: Note On and Note Off". (Apparently, it also responds to polyphonic aftertouch--nice!)

Thanks for the tip, and have fun with the Arturia. I probably should look into a more portable and flexible controller like that. :wink:

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I've been using Roland keyboards for nearly 20 years. They all implement release velocity. You can verify this in the MIDI Implementation Chart at the back of every Roland keyboard manual. It lists which MIDI messages it transmits and receives.

For me, release velocity is more about subtitles of performance. If I'm playing a sampled piano that includes separate key release samples (most Roland ROMplers do include such samples, though most preset patches don't use them), I want those release samples to vary based on how quickly (or slowly) I actually release the keys. As another poster noted, harpsichords are another instrument where releasing the key creates a separate sounds.

I've posted a feature request here in the LinnStrument forum asking that release velocity be added to the LinnStrument. If you guys want that feature added, consider voicing that request as well.

Received the Keylab 49 yesterday. Initial impressions here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=462452

After a couple snags, she's up and running. Keys and pads are all velocity and pressure sensitive,
the keys send release velocity, and the pads can send chords. It's got a breath controller too.
I think it's going to be a nice little unit. Never had a controller keyboard before.
I've always used synth keyboards for that purpose, but I've been using a lot more softsynths lately.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”