How to do sidechain like this

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So this unreleased track by Mike Williams and Tiësto, they have some crazy sidechain in my opinion.
I tried to remake the track as i liked it alot so i tried to make same sidechain but nothing worked.
Does someone know how to do such sidechain?
Track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuW_cIr-V18

I don't think that the sidechain is going to be done any differently than what you'll see most people doing.

Can either use a ghost track - a duplicate of your kick drum, and send the signal to a compressor on the track you want to sidechain. Usually fast attack time. There's lots of resources out there to show how to sidechain with whatever DAW you're using.

Another method is to use a plugin like LFO tool by Xfer. Little easier to get right.

I am an advocate for sidechain not being a replacement for proper EQ. So make sure the bass and kick have the room each one needs. If your kick has a fundamental at 55hz it might be beneficial to cut some of the lows out and use a sub underneath it.

Alright thanks

Yeah i don't see him doing anything different with the side chaining here. A plugin that works really well for something like this is Nicky Romero kick star. As it dosent only side chain on the 1.

Return to “Production Techniques”