Semi-Beginner $100 Synth?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnGee wrote:I still believe that Spire or Dune 2 would be your best choice. Do you have Ableton synths like Operator and Analog? Those can help also to add something different to your main synth.
I agree, and yes, I've played with Operator. Actually, I still have a really bad "dubstep" track I made with Operator when I was about 13. :lol: Been trying to redeem that for a long time. Haven't actually used Analog, I need to try it.
chk071 wrote:I'd decide going by the sound now, after so many (valid) recommendations. :) Go with what's the most pleasing to your ears. You can't go wrong with that.
Definitely, you guys have been an enormous help.(You cannot imagine. :hihi: ) I'll most likely go with Dune 2, I'm smitten with it's quad MSEGs and wavetables. :love: Not to mention I've never seen such a skinnable synth, seems that everything is changeable. I'll probably be playing around with it until I can get paypal to stop being such a massive pain. Already made a 60 second EDM track with preset 16, loving the arp. :lol:

Thanks again everybody! :phones:

Edit: Ugh... A $99 sale on Dune II ended just a few weeks ago... :dog:

Edit 2: More like 2 minutes, actually... It's turning into an actual song, is it cheating to use pre-made melodies? :lol:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

If you look around for sales you can often get the following 3 VST synths for less than $50:

Synthmaster
Z3ta+2
Hybrid 3

They are all fully-featured modern power synths with about 1000 very usable presets...

I'd just check reviews and 'how to' vids of them on youtube, pick one and get it - then learn to use it properly.

And with the other $50 get a little midi controller keyboard if you don't have one already..
Sonar Platinum, Ignite and Ableton Live 9 DAWS
AIR Hybrid 3, Synthmaster, Z3ta+2, Addictive Drums 2, True Piano Amber, Rapture, Dim Pro, BFD Eco, AAS Strum, Addictive Keys, Synth 1 VSTs
Nektar LX61, Korg MicroKey and Akai Pro LPD8 Pad

Also have a look at kiloHearts ONE. The GUI is freeware-level style, but it sounds pretty freaking awesome.

excessional wrote:If you look around for sales you can often get the following 3 VST synths for less than $50:

Synthmaster
Z3ta+2
Hybrid 3

They are all fully-featured modern power synths with about 1000 very usable presets...

I'd just check reviews and 'how to' vids of them on youtube, pick one and get it - then learn to use it properly.

And with the other $50 get a little midi controller keyboard if you don't have one already..
Are these more powerful than Dune2? Synthmaster I've looked at, it's very unintuitive and the sounds doesn't quite match up imo. Dune2 is my current choice, and anything that can't perform at that level or above, I probably won't be interested in. As for MIDI controllers, I use a DX11.

Edit: Trying KHS ONE, doesn't allow me to use it as "This version has expired". Inputted the trial key, no change.

Edit 2: Tried Hybrid, sounds great, but not up to par with D2.

Edit 3: Tried Z3TA, also awesome, and I'd definitely like to get it as well down the road, but sadly the same story as Hybrid.

Edit 4: Hey, 1000 views. :lol:

Go to kvr market and buy some used, more analog ;), synths :)

"EDM Synths":
Sylenth
Spire
Diversion
also Largo

Also...
buy the online Computer Music Magazine - you'll have a tons of fun with CM freebies / cm versions (Dune 2 and other software). It's just a few bucks. And you'll also receive some samples.

Its Dune not Dune2 in CM/Beat magazines.

D N A wrote:Go to kvr market and buy some used, more analog ;), synths :)

"EDM Synths":
Sylenth
Spire
Diversion
also Largo

Also...
buy the online Computer Music Magazine - you'll have a tons of fun with CM freebies / cm versions (Dune 2 and other software). It's just a few bucks. And you'll also receive some samples.
Nearly every single one of those I've already tried, and just out of curiosity, why analog?

Also, don't really have the resources to justify subscribing to magazines at the moment...

You only need to buy 1 copy.

AnX wrote:You only need to buy 1 copy.
And I get a bunch of freebies with it? :neutral:

zenophilix wrote:
Yes
http://www.musicradar.com/computermusic ... cts-571808

thecontrolcentre wrote:
zenophilix wrote:
Yes
Alright, I'l probably end up grabbing an issue once paypal stops being irritating. :P

zenophilix wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
zenophilix wrote:
Yes
Alright, I'l probably end up grabbing an issue once paypal stops being irritating. :P
You get D16 Frontier free this month ...

thecontrolcentre wrote:
zenophilix wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
zenophilix wrote:
Yes
You get D16 Frontier free this month ...
Yes, I can see that. Is it good?

This is also an excellent option if you save up $50.00 more.

https://www.u-he.com/cms/zebra2-dinosaur-crossgrade
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:This is also an excellent option if you save up $50.00 more.

https://www.u-he.com/cms/zebra2-dinosaur-crossgrade
I've looked at Zebra2 in the past, might be worth another look. Sadly, saving is difficult at this point, as I can't get a job until next year, due to personal issues that I won't bother explaining. Would I be able to get a copy on the marketplace?

Edit: Just noticed the crossgrade thing, would a Yamaha DX-11 with broken keys and a dead battery/screwy internals be applicable? :lol: Right now it's just hooked up to my computer as a MIDI controller.

Edit 2: Does anyone know how Z2 compares to Dune2, Synthmaster, and the other synths mentioned in this thread from a technical standpoint?

Edit 3: Love how they have all the presets on one page. :lol:

Edit 4: Just realized, have a $50 PSN card hanging around that I have no use for and may be able to sell, so Z2 could work moneywise.
Last edited by zenophilix on Mon May 02, 2016 10:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”