Midi controller and midi issues

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi.
I hope I post this in the correct forum or else feel free to move this thread to a more suitable forum.

I hope someone can share their knowledge about midi to me. For a while I suffer from the "stuck notes syndrome". I been searching and Reading and I realise I am not alone to have this issue. I use a M-Audio Oxygene 61 IV midi keyboard and my DAW is FL-Studio 12.2. I run the whole thing on Windows 7 -64bit.

Stuck notes does not only happens with one particular plugin but with any. I have no problem with stuck keys if I use piano roll in FL-Studio. This is isolated to the midi keyboard / FL-Studio. In order to trouble shoot this issue I need to understand what role the midi keyboard, FL-Studio and Windows might play in this. When I was using FL-Studio 12.1 and earlier versions I did not have this issue. But then again, there have been some Windows updates coming for the last couple of months, so I can't really say if the problem came with FLS12.2 or perhaps some Windows update. I checked and the CPU is not busy when it happens (around 40%) and the memory is around 400Mb according to FLS info.

Once a note is stuck it will keep sounding until I press the stop button in FLS, or open the fruity wrapper. If I ignore it and keep playing more notes the sound will dissapear all of a sudden. The sound and midi will come back to normal once I press stop or open fruity wrapper. But it will come back once I resume playing. It might be fine for 10 seconds or so, but it will get stuck again.

Does anyone know if there is a known solution to stuck notes? What to look for? Anyone else have a similar setup and the same problems as I have?

Cheers!
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I'm not midi guru, but as I understand it that when you press a key, the midi msg 'on' transmitted from the keyboard to the host which then direct it to the midi instrument that plays that msg. When you let the key, the msg 'off' is transmitted.

Cheap midi controllers are not that reliable due to low quality components. So it can be mostly problematic after some time. My Oxygen mk3 started to send random pitch msgs due to the crapy pitch wheel and then started also random knobs msgs. The keys were fine though. I had these problems only after I one year of light usage! I have zero problems with both Casio and Blofeld keys now because they have really good built quality ( compared to the oxygen keys).

Anyway, to know exactly what is the reason. You can use the computer keyboard to play the notes and see if you still have sticky notes. Also download demos of other hosts and test your keyboard and instruments (for example Reaper and Bitwig).

EnGee wrote:I'm not midi guru, but as I understand it that when you press a key, the midi msg 'on' transmitted from the keyboard to the host which then direct it to the midi instrument that plays that msg. When you let the key, the msg 'off' is transmitted.

Cheap midi controllers are not that reliable due to low quality components. So it can be mostly problematic after some time. My Oxygen mk3 started to send random pitch msgs due to the crapy pitch wheel and then started also random knobs msgs. The keys were fine though. I had these problems only after I one year of light usage! I have zero problems with both Casio and Blofeld keys now because they have really good built quality ( compared to the oxygen keys).

Anyway, to know exactly what is the reason. You can use the computer keyboard to play the notes and see if you still have sticky notes. Also download demos of other hosts and test your keyboard and instruments (for example Reaper and Bitwig).
Using the computer keyboard as a comparison is a good idea. I will try it. Thanks! :wink: ..I do have A Ableton live 9 light, license that I didn't use yet. I guess I could try it.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”