Anyone notice the DAW affects the type of music you create?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MarlaPodolski wrote:
Ayorinde wrote:
Michael L wrote: Anyway.
Make of that what you will ...' Okay: Dense.
More like: Confused. I did not write what you quoted me as, and neither of us compared a DAW to a pencil.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

My DAW (the only one I've seriously used), Tracktion, excels at quick recording and manipulation of audio, and that's why I've stuck with it. When updates make certain techniques easier to use, I'm more likely to use them (for instance recently introduced quick tape-stop effect, stutter effect, automation with lfo etc), but that's just surface.

I'd say the ratio between my intentions vs the DAW's facilities shaping my music is 9:1, and that "1" for the DAW would be more or less 1 for any DAW (visual representation, timeline, piano roll, grid structure, as opposed to for instance using a tape machine).
For instance, looping was made easier at some point in the development of the DAW, but although I may use it at a certain stage in composition, I record all parts from start to finish for the final track since I want to avoid that looping monotony. Naturally, I feel no attraction towards more loop-centric DAWs.

Ultimately, if a DAW significantly affects what kind of music you make, it's not a fully-fledged DAW.

We make the music we want to make, be it orchestral, electronic or rock 'n' roll throat singing. The tools we use may affect our methodology, but the end result will be the same - we'll make the music we want. If I use Cubase, a multi-track cassette recorder, bounce between two battery powered open - reel recorders (which is how I started), I will still make the style of music I want to make.
Instruments used have much more influence than the DAW, which, after all, is just a glorified recorder. Try as you might, I don't think you'll succeed in producing a hardcore psytrance track with EastWest Hollywood Woodwinds! Whatever DAW you use.
All I need is a guitar and a means to record it, everything else is a bonus.
The methods have changed, the music hasn't (sad geezer!).

Great responses here. Simply put, workflow will influence your progress.

I use Live and DP because I found those to work for me. They each have their own unique workflow that allows me to turn thoughts into sound. Live and all the external gear is essential for sound design and experimenting while DP is for my melodic inspiration by saving takes and different songs (chunks) in one screen as well as doing some really fancy CC automation that you can't do in Live. I use VEP to load all the instruments in RAM so I can switch between the two DAWs without having to load ALL the instruments every single time I close a DAW and open the other one.

The point to my dialogue is that I found what allows me to maintain inspiration by not limiting my workflow; thus, you may want to consider more than one DAW?
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Kinh wrote:(Im contemplating taking the FL route now they've killed the bugs.)
ooh I don't know about that just yet... it's getting better I guess.

Kinh I think you are close to the truth. When I used Pro Tools I had difficulties with midi notes, however once I made track of 5 minutes length, with responsibility in such program (affected my workflow).
But in FL Studio im like dolphin in the water, I can do there what I cant or dont know in Sonar X1 or Pro Tools. I can do things quickly.

Yes.

Michael L wrote:
MarlaPodolski wrote:
Ayorinde wrote:
Michael L wrote: Anyway.
Make of that what you will ...' Okay: Dense.
More like: Confused. I did not write what you quoted me as, and neither of us compared a DAW to a pencil.
Yes. I'm not interested. I was trying to edit down the unneeded matter in a quote and it messed up. You should have realized that.

skipscada wrote:My DAW (the only one I've seriously used), Tracktion, ...

Ultimately, if a DAW significantly affects what kind of music you make, it's not a fully-fledged DAW.
When did Traktion become a DAW? Last time I checked it was only a Tracker. So now it is a 'full-fledged' DAW?

whyterabbyt wrote:
dupont wrote:I think the daw you use has an effect on your music.
That wasnt the question, though. The question said 'type of music'. He asked whether the tool informed the structure/context of the work.
OK, so now its gone to word games? Are we talking about actual genres or are we talking about if a DAW can seriously influence how the music comes out or our moods or approach to or while making it. NOW I am confused. Just pull the rug right out, huh?

whyterabbyt wrote: A 'film' is an instance of that medium, but it is not the medium. The camera is a tool used in forming the instance of the medium, but it doesnt not form the medium.
Why not further confuse with more word games? Define "form." What I mean here is that film definately does help to shape and form and influences the movie contained on it greatly. B&W versus Technocolor, just for starters.

Now that some are making movies digitally and doing so much work in computers, these other ways of making movies have drastically altered the outcomes.

Why would the way one DAW work as opposed to the way another one works not do much the same, tough to a less dramatic degree?

Look, I'm out anyhow because of the lack of agreement on things like 'type of music' and 'medium', but any little kid understands this things immediately upon seeing them for example in a movie. Why adults here cannot is just weird.

MarlaPodolski wrote:

When did Traktion become a DAW? Last time I checked it was only a Tracker. So now it is a 'full-fledged' DAW?
It has never been a tracker, you are probably mixing it with some other program.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t7-daw

MarlaPodolski wrote:Look, I'm out anyhow
Dont let the door hit your miserably ignorant appeal to an authority you didnt actually understand in the first place on the way out.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Yes. In combination with the right drugs. Reason 6 + Rainbow colored E always makes me write in Eurovision style.

MarlaPodolski wrote:

When did Traktion become a DAW?
In 2002.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”