Evolution Guitar Strawberry - Finding it difficult to use. Powerchords, strumming..

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there! I hope you're all doing well.

I am having a few problems with Orange Tree guitar strawberry. I am finding a lot of it quite complicated actually.

My question is about strumming. All I want to do is play some easy, simple powerchords. Just your typical modern rock song.. like something from Green Day.

When plotting the MIDI out, what do I do exactly? I'm confused because i've seen a strumming tutorial where the MIDI was plotted out in one long block and then the strum keys were used to strum those notes, but then i've seen others where notes are repeatedly plotted for each strum. Imagine that i'm just plotting one powerchord that is strummed 8 times. Do I repeatedly plot the chord 8 times or do I just plot the chord once, stretch it out for my desired duration and then plot the 8 strums separately at their assigned keys?

A problem that I am having when strumming both ways is that when I play it back, there's often some wrong notes that get played, even though i've mapped out the MIDI correctly. This only happens when I put the strum keys in. For example.. I have my MIDI block selected to play in a loop... the first chord plays fine right from the start but then when it loops back around it will play a wrong note. It's weird. It's definitely to do with the strum keys though, which I have assigned at 'C0' and 'C#0'. I am using Pro Tools.

I've tried to load the '.nka' demo files but I have no-idea on how to do it. I only know how to import the demo MIDI files and that's it. I've watched many of the tutorials from the official youtube page but a lot of them are from the older version.

I wish that I could explore things like controlling the speed of the strumming in the strumming engine too, but I honestly don't have a clue how to apply the strumming engine to my notes plotted in the Pro Tools MIDI editor.

Thanks alot!

Regarding the chord held, you don't need to repeat it. Once the chord is selected, you can actually release it and the strumming keys/patterns will continue to use that selected chord.

Do you have the very latest update that was recently released? We made some improvements to the chord detection timing that should probably fix the issue you're having with wrong notes getting played. You can download the latest version from the downloads section of your account: https://www.orangetreesamples.com/account/downloads
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Hey Greg. Sorry for the late reply. I've been messing around updating my macbook OS and all of that stuff.

Okay thanks for letting me know about the strumming. I understand it a bit better now.

I do have the latest update. I actually think it's the Pro Tools MIDI editor that is the problem. It's always been quite annoying. I think it might be because the chord MIDI notes and the strum notes start at slightly different times. It's hard to explain. Sometimes, when I select a MIDI region within pro tools, the first note doesn't get selected, it's weird. Anyway, it's not that much of a pain because all I have to do is extend the strumming MIDI note backwards behind the first MIDI chord notes just a tiny bit and it's fine.

It's truly a great piece of software though. I really appreciate the effort you have put into it.

Just as a side note, I'm working on a bunch of new video tutorials for the Evolution guitar engine that are more practically-oriented rather than purely informational. So those should help, especially with the whole chord/strumming side of things.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Awesome! I'm really looking forward to that. I find it alot easier to learn that way. I also enjoy playing around with MIDI files and presets that the experienced users have created too.

I just wanted to change what I said in my last reply. I was wrong with what I said about extending the assigned strumming MIDI note backwards behind the first MIDI chord notes. I was getting confused as I've been trying different ways of trying to sort it out. What I actually do is in Kontakt I set all the stokes to down strokes so I know for certain that my very first strum of the new notes will be a down stroke. I then input my up and down strokes using the assigned stroke keys. So i'm pretty much just not inputting any stroke for the very first strum of the chord, and just letting Strawberry do the first down stroke itself. It seems to work that way. I hope you understand what I'm saying!

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”