Diva and 14bit MIDI

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I've been reading a bit on the forum about MIDI 14-bit resolution but I'm still confused and not quite sure if it's fully implemented, not working, or if it needs tweaking some text files.

Here's my thing: I have a 14bit MIDI controller which sends on channel 1 using CCs 6 (coarse) and 38 (fine). Using MIDI learn, Diva sets it to CC 6 in 7bit mode. Changing this manually to 14bit doesn't yield any difference, I still have only an audibly "steppy" control, worse than using the mouse. What am I doing wrong?

I realize there are other options (like using two knobs), but I would actually like to have seamless filter freq and osc Detune control with only one button.

Cheers
Seb

First thing is to make sure the faders and knobs of your control surface are actually set to send 14bits CC or NRPN.
Download for instance MIDI-OX to monitor incoming midi messages (You also can do that in most daws). If, while tweaking one fader at a time, you observe only one CC ranging from 0 to 127, you have some more work to do on the hardware side.
When you're sure you're sending more than a basic 7bit CC, try to download and install Pizmidi tool suite :http://thepiz.org/plugins/?p=pizmidi, what you're looking for is "midiNRPNConverter" or "midiConverter3" and put it on a track as a midi insert FX dedicated to convert signal from your keyboard to Diva. You'll have to tweak the various parameters until you're happy with them.

RedChameau, thanks for your answer. I'm using MidiPipe on Mac and I can see e.g. CC 6 (coarse) and CC 38 (fine) coming in alright. So the hardware is sending 14bit alright. It's plugged in with a USB cable and if MidiPipe can see it so can the DAW.
Now, help me here: Since I am already sending 14bit and I can set Diva to listen to 14bit, what would the midiNRPNConverter convert my string into that Diva can better understand?

Yes, PizMidi's NRPNConverter will allow you, for instance, to "map" a couple of CC to one single 14bit CC. Just set the plugin as an insert FX beore DIVA in whatever DAW you are using .
You can also use midiConverter3 (also from Piz) which I find to be way more explicit.

Thanks, RedChameau. I downloaded the thing and looked at it and if I'm not mistaken it's not what I need right now. The 14 bit messages are coming fine into the computer and don't need anymore converting. It's a nifty little tool though.

My setup is like this: I'm on a Mac running Diva as AU in AULab. A Moog Sub 37 is sending 14 bit messages from the panel. It can send either NRPN or CC, however, Diva will in any case only recognize the MSB and never the LSB. Setting it manually to 14-bit doesn't help, adding a MIDI controller manually doesn't work either. I'm not talking MPE, I just would like to have the filter frequency of Diva react in 14bit just like the Sub 37 does.

Did you work it out? I'd like to get finer control on u-he instruments or any VSTi for that matter. Though I've got a funny feeling none of my controllers do 14 bit midi cc.

That funny feeling of yours could be right, because there are not many 14 bit MIDI controllers out there :-)

The Moog Sub 37 and probably all Moog synthesizers (except old school :hihi: ) work with 14 bit controllers and they also send 14 bit MIDI out (on the Sub 37 there's a setting in the main menu where you can set that).

DSI, btw, doesn't have as good a resolution than Moog has and you can hear the filter stepping on the otherwise fantastic Pro 2 for example :-(

As for general MIDI controllers, the Novation SL series can do it, albeit with one big problem: they don't feature acceleration in 14 bit mode, only in 7 bit mode. This makes no sense at all :-( This should be easy to fix with a simple software update, my information is from last year.

Actually, the only hardware controllers with 14 bit and the (necessary) acceleration are the controllers from Faderfox. Not very cheap, I'm afraid. But as with Novation, 14 bit is a feature for the top range of products, all the cheaper ones don't have it (and give MIDI a bad name).

Your best bet might be Apps for the iPad, like Midi Designer and of course Lemur. I haven't tried those yet, but I know that Midi Designer can do 14 bit and Lemur can do everything anyway :-)

Let me know if you ever come across another controller. U-he and Dave Smith Instruments are such great sounding instruments, but as it is I can't play live with them :-(

sebber wrote:Let me know if you ever come across another controller. U-he and Dave Smith Instruments are such great sounding instruments, but as it is I can't play live with them :-(
Just to answer your original problem from this thread, there is a way to set up Diva so you can enjoy the finer control of 14bit controllers.
I explained it in the last post of this other thread about the Faderfox controller: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... ilit=14bit
That QA guy from planet u-he.

Thanks, tasmaniandevil. Now we only need more hardware and we're set :-)

Return to “u-he”