Semi-Beginner $100 Synth?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zenophilix wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:This is also an excellent option if you save up $50.00 more.

https://www.u-he.com/cms/zebra2-dinosaur-crossgrade
I've looked at Zebra2 in the past, might be worth another look. Sadly, saving is difficult at this point, as I can't get a job until next year, due to personal issues that I won't bother explaining. Would I be able to get a copy on the marketplace?

Edit: Just noticed the crossgrade thing, would a Yamaha DX-11 with broken keys and a dead battery/screwy internals be applicable? :lol:
Send them an email and ask about the DX-11, maybe explain that you are having personal issues too that prevent you from getting a job too. You would'nt have to go into specifics, but i've always known the U-he staff to be very cool. You never know :phones:
:borg:

zenophilix wrote:
GHOST19 wrote:If you're 16 don't forget there's a 50% educational discount for Spire.
http://reveal-sound.com/educational.html
Sadly, I don't think that will help me, as I plan to use whatever synth I end up with for commercial purposes.(I.E., selling the music) :?
I don't think the non commercial educational license means that you can't send your stuff to labels at all.

Reaper for example sets the cutoff between non commercial and pro license at $20k/year earned from music iirc. Ask reveal-sound by email but I'm sure they would only require you to upgrade to full license once you have made substantial money from music.

GHOST19 wrote:
zenophilix wrote:
GHOST19 wrote:If you're 16 don't forget there's a 50% educational discount for Spire.
Sadly, I don't think that will help me, as I plan to use whatever synth I end up with for commercial purposes.(I.E., selling the music) :?
I don't think the non commercial educational license means that you can't send your stuff to labels at all.

Reaper for example sets the cutoff between non commercial and pro license at $20k/year earned from music iirc. Ask reveal-sound by email but I'm sure they would only require you to upgrade to full license once you have made substantial money from music.
Good point. I plan to just use Bandcamp for the time being, I'd prefer to remain independent for as long as possible. I don't want to end up in a situation like Prince with WB if my music ever goes big, corporations are vicious that way.
V0RT3X wrote:Send them an email and ask about the DX-11, maybe explain that you are having personal issues too that prevent you from getting a job too. You would'nt have to go into specifics, but i've always known the U-he staff to be very cool. You never know :phones:
Awesome, I'll definitely be sending them an e-mail if I settle on Z2. Thanks! :phones:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

GHOST19 wrote:
zenophilix wrote:

This is what I believe also.

I further suggest to send emails asking u-he and Synapse Audio about students discounts. They might consider a student discount even if they don't advertise about it. They are independent developers and usually are helpful and generous.

EnGee wrote:I further suggest to send emails asking u-he and Synapse Audio about students discounts. They might consider a student discount even if they don't advertise about it. They are independent developers and usually are helpful and generous.
In that case, I will definitely look into student discounts. Gotta love those indie developers. :tu:

Did you tried largo? I know I have suggested it a few times.

I had a blofeld but I prefer the software workflow, I had demoed largo a while Ago but now that I got it at the sale for 75 it is truly a bargain, such a good sounding synth.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:Did you tried largo? I know I have suggested it a few times.

I had a blofeld but I prefer the software workflow, I had demoed largo a while Ago but now that I got it at the sale for 75 it is truly a bargain, such a good sounding synth.
I can't remember if I ever got Largo to work... Will try it now.

Edit: Zebra2 is awesome.

Edit 2: Turns out the installer for Largo had a network error. Redownloading it.

Edit 3: I can't seem to activate Largo, as I don't have an e-licenser. Don't plan on paying 24.99 for a demo, so how do I obtain a "soft e-licenser"?

Edit 4: Ah damnit. This whole time I just assumed a DX-11 was analog. Turns out I don't know shiz. Can I get Zebra2 on the marketplace cheaper?

Checking out Synthmaster again, heavily impressed with the demo songs. Does anyone know from a technical standpoint which is superior, D2 vs SM?

zenophilix wrote:Checking out Synthmaster again, heavily impressed with the demo songs. Does anyone know from a technical standpoint which is superior, D2 vs SM?
The superior is the one you like more ;)

Anyway, there is a big update for SynthMaster coming soon ( v2.8 ) which will have filter enhancements and several other things, so you might want to wait few weeks (or days) and then test the new updated version.

Don't forget to check u-he Hive as well. It is targeted at the Dance crowd, It is another quality synth from u-he IMO. It really sounds very good, but ACE for me is more useful (and also Bazille). Those two are more than enough for me from u-he (at least for now!).

zenophilix wrote: Edit 3: I can't seem to activate Largo, as I don't have an e-licenser. Don't plan on paying 24.99 for a demo, so how do I obtain a "soft e-licenser"?
?
First you need to install elicenser, then the soft elicenser appears automatically in the license center, if it doesnt appears you follow up with this procedure: http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art ... ol-center/
dedication to flying

PolyKB II is on sale at NI(!) for 74.50. Does require a dongle, but isn't overly complicated and has a lovely sound.
A well-behaved signature.

EnGee wrote: The superior is the one you like more ;)

Anyway, there is a big update for SynthMaster coming soon ( v2.8 ) which will have filter enhancements and several other things, so you might want to wait few weeks (or days) and then test the new updated version.

Don't forget to check u-he Hive as well. It is targeted at the Dance crowd, It is another quality synth from u-he IMO. It really sounds very good, but ACE for me is more useful (and also Bazille). Those two are more than enough for me from u-he (at least for now!).
Technologically, I mean.

I heard, I'm hyped. Really like it as-is, anyway, so might not even need to wait. I dunno. Tried Hive earlier in the thread.
rod_zero wrote:
zenophilix wrote: Edit 3: I can't seem to activate Largo, as I don't have an e-licenser. Don't plan on paying 24.99 for a demo, so how do I obtain a "soft e-licenser"?
?
First you need to install elicenser, then the soft elicenser appears automatically in the license center, if it doesnt appears you follow up with this procedure: <a href="http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art ... rol-center" class="skimlinks-unlinked" data-skimwords-word="http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sweetwater.com%2Fsweetcare%2Farticles%2Fthere-is-no-soft-elicense-in-my-elicenser-control-center" data-skim-creative="500005" title="">http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art ... -center</a>/
Yeah, it isn't showing up. Will try that, thanks! :)
Edit: Worked, but the plugin doesn't show up in Live... C>ProgramFilesx86>Vstplugins>Waldorf, but..

JerGoertz wrote:PolyKB II is on sale at NI(!) for 74.50. Does require a dongle, but isn't overly complicated and has a lovely sound.
Doesn't quite look like what I'm looking for. WIll try it regardless.

JerGoertz wrote:PolyKB II is on sale at NI(!) for 74.50. Does require a dongle, but isn't overly complicated and has a lovely sound.
It works with host-based iLok, so it does not require a dongle.
Seasoned IT vet, Mac user, and lover of music. Always learning.

wesleyt wrote:
It works with host-based iLok, so it does not require a dongle.
Not looking for an analogue modeler, but looks cool, so giving it a try.

Edit: Ended up trying Massive too, nowhere near as good as I had built it up to be. :hihi:

Hey, sorry to bump an old thread, but I just couldn't justify making a seperate thread and cluttering up the forum more for this. :P

Anyway, I've looked at the Computer Music Magazine deal a bit more, and I think I'll use that for now, though I may still upgrade to D2 in future. The CM array of plugins just seems like such a good deal. THey appear to have versions of Dune, Synthmaster, and Zebra, among others. I'm aware that these are simplified from the full versions, but still look very capable IMHO.(Of course, I could be wrong, in which case only the interface has been redesigned. In which case, WOW.)

I do, however, have two remaining questions, and those are...

1, Can I buy any issue and still get access to the full vault of plugins?
2, Are there any issues in particular that have some good bundled software, such as the full version of a nice synth, or a DAW, or something? I was looking at the Dubstep issue, issue 171, as it's bundled with Z3TA.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”