Focusrite Scarlett 2i2: Nothing but problems so far... HELP

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Basically, i bought a 2i2 the other day from my local music store. Came home and set it up. I connected did the 2 jacks to the back of the soundcard, which are xlrs to jacks going to my monitors.

I plugged the usb into my laptop and installed the drivers and it all connected up. However, first i started getting clicks and pops, then it would click and pop and the audio would just mute after a few seconds and the green audio bar would be frozen in position on my sound devices page on windows 8. I changed the buffer length down to 1ms which seemed to of fixed it, BUT, i turn my laptop on today and the sound is horrible! It was really slow and distorted, so i turned the latency to the top which fixed that,but the sound keeps muting after a while aswell and i have restart the soundcard by plugging it in and out again for the sound to work.

I have downloaded the latest driver from the focurite website and updated my asio, so what is the problem.?!?
A bad workman blames his tools

Just to address one of the issues. I'm not sure but I think this is an issue with some other USB powered soundcards as well. I have to unplug and replug mine quite a bit as well as the connection just fails from time to time. I have a Saffire 6 USB. Also wondering which DAW you are using? It shouldn't be a problem but I have issues with a few programs but the biggest disappointment was with Sonar which just would not play nice with my Saffire 6.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Laptops are common to have WLAN drivers running - which is a common factor for crackle issues(DPC latency in drivers).

Have a look at turning that off - at least while using audio.

I keep all network and internet off while doing audio sessions.

I'm not sure which host you are using, I have the 2i4 which works great guns, but in samplitude it kicks up a fuss with lost audio buffer errors. I switched the asio to asio4all instead of the focusrite asio driver and now it works no problem.

dont know if it will help, good luck

Try using the DPC latency checker here to see if there are any problems: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

If you're getting spikes, sitting in Device Manager and disabling items one by one until you find the culprit is the best way. Wifi is a common culprit. Having said that, it was my DVD drive that caused issues on my last machine!

It sounds like the problems you're having are a bit more serious than mere latency spikes to be honest though. Are you sure your laptop is able to give the card enough power through USB? Try running the card from external power (or an powered USB hub if the card doesn't support this). I had to do this with my old Dell machine. The 'power saver' plan would lead to frequent crashes initially, but as the machine got older the 'balanced' plan did it and even 'high performance' wasn't enough in the end.

FWIW a friend uses the 2i2 with Windows 8 (not 8.1) on his machine and has no trouble at all. Hopefully this means it's possible to resolve rather than being a straight up compatibility issue.

Let's verify that the drivers are ASIO ones. I agree to give ASIO4ALL a try.

It is a great interface at the price point. I made an audio interface comaprison video for you guys : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjBpazR9neo

MANY interfaces from MANY audio manufacturers are having compatibility issues with BOTH late model PC's AND Macs. Is this the fault of the small audio companies OR is it the fault of Intel & Apple for not adhering to industry standards and/or not caring about our little niche market? Yes, my Presonus 1818VSL did not work properly with the computer I originally intended to use it with. So what did I do? Ok, yes I whined about it a bit. I thought about losing money and re-selling it on eBay. But now, a year later am I STILL whining? No, I bought a used machine for under $100 to use with my 1818 and it works flawlessly. :D
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

I hate to Necrobump this thread, but I bought my first real interface, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, two days ago. The performance I was getting out of Asio4All is FAR FAR better than the performance that I get out of the Focusrite proprietary driver. Seriously. Talk about a waste of $200.

did you buy the interface for its driver?

If he doesnt need inputs maybe he got it for the drivers.

I had focusrite interfaces in the past and their performance was mediocre on windows.

Steinberg UR line drivers are far superior. And I think they are the best budget audio interfaces, then Roland.
dedication to flying

Stupid American Pig wrote:did you buy the interface for its driver?
No. It was on sale and I need something that had more than two outputs. For the price, this seemed like a good deal. I'm talking over this at the Cubase forum and there are some people there saying that they have it working beautifully on a machine much less powerful than mine.

xphen0m wrote:
Stupid American Pig wrote:did you buy the interface for its driver?
No. It was on sale and I need something that had more than two outputs. For the price, this seemed like a good deal. I'm talking over this at the Cubase forum and there are some people there saying that they have it working beautifully on a machine much less powerful than mine.
That question may have been a bit terse, but I actually meant that as a serious question. Was there something about the driver that made you buy that card?(plugins, etc) If not, and ASIO for all works great, then you still have a nice interface that runs low latency. That said, I understand your complaint. I used an Edirol UA-1000 for 10 years, it was an appliance. I never thought about it, it just worked, and sounded good. It didnt support much fancy functionality, but I liked the routing better than that of my apollo 8.(really, I cant run 2 monitor outs at once?? why!?!?) And I understand that if you bought something, it should work as designed.

I have a 2i2 and agree that latency is roughly about the same as asio4all, but then I can now go 24bit up to 94khz, enjoy the quality mic preamps and have use of the free Scarlett and Red plugin bundles which I couldn't do before.
Biased, but ultimately a satisfied, happy customer.
:hihi:
Last edited on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 17 times in total.
:dog: :hihi: :lol:

Its class compliant, has low latency on mac or ios.

I have had 2i2 for a few years. Running on Win 7 too. Have not tried on 10 yet.

Never had issues with it.
"I am a meat popsicle"
Soundcloud Vondragonnoggin
Soundclick Wormhelmet

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”