Wavelab Elements 9.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i have a few questions if anyone has the time to answer.

i'm thinking of getting WE9 because I haven't found a reasonably priced editor on OSX I've wanted to settle down with (scratch audacity 9 (ugh), amadeus (ok), sound forge (shit and expensive), quattro dsp (by far the best i've found, and i will continue to use it, but it has come graphics issues that continue to irk me when doing extensive editing of files).

So for those of you with experience, because there is no demo available, how's the stability? I'm using LE8 on 10.10 and have been getting continual crashes when opening mo3 files - I need to convert them in another program to wav files to open in WL.

how are the noise reduction plugs from Sonnox? are these any different than the official plugs form Sonnox? Because if not that is a stupidly good deal.

finally, it's already a good deal but do Steinberg ever put their programs/upgrades on sale? i believe WL was released pretty recently so if so this might take a while.

anyways, any info is appreciated.

I can't speak about stability because I use a small subset of the features (I use it to record from a turntable, to cut silences at the beginning/end of the recordings, to add fades, to normalize and, occasionally, to export to mp3 (I never ever open them in Wavelab).
With Wavelab Elements 7, some vsts didn't work very well (I couldn't use some which were perfectly fine under Cubase); I have yet to check version 9 in this department, but it seems more stable.

About the Sonnox plugins: they are not the full version, they miss some features. I think they are good for small fixes, obviously they can't save an heavily damaged recording (I think there's no tool able to do so). They are a nice addition to the package, but I never use them (I don't need any restoration tool).

About sales: sometimes there are sales, but not as much as some other brands. I looked through my emails (I keep them because I'm lazy at deleting), the last time Wavelab Elements went on sale was on Black Friday. Usually their sales are on their virtual instruments, not Cubase/Wavelab (when these go on sale, usually it's the entry level version; I don't recall any discount on their professional line in the last few years, except maybe one or two crossgrade offers for the users of some specific professional tools). For the record, the upgrade price for Wavelab Elements was still less than the Black Friday offer (they look for a balance with their offers, so they don't upset their previous customers).
I don't think they'll do any sale on Wavelab soon; I think in the past they did some discounts for Cubase owners, but I don't remember anything huge.
While they do some sales from time to time, Steinberg is one of those companies from which I often buy at full price, they are not one of "continuos discounts" companies.

You can upgrade from LE 8 for peanuts anyway.

Thanks for the thorough reply, Sin Night!

Indeed aMused, for around $50 it's a tough one to beat.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”